Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 05 Aug 2006 (Saturday) 02:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

B&H Story

LadyHawk
611 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Aug 05, 2006 02:05 |  #1

Aug 5, 2006 - Found this article which explains the power outage problem with B&H. I have been trying to place an order for hours. :(

On Manhattan's West Side, a morning fire in a manhole knocked out power to the B&H Photo Video store at 33rd Street and Ninth Avenue and an adjoining eight-story commercial building.

B&H, which normally closes at 2 p.m. Friday, posted a sign on its door saying that "a power problem" had forced it to close early, and that the store would reopen on Sunday as usual.

Friday is the busiest day of the week for the photo and electronics business that attracts customers from across the country and around the world, said manager Eli Daskal.

After the outage blew power at about 9:45 a.m., "we lost a lot of customers who walk through, browsing or buying," he said. "And we lost even more on our Web site, which is down."

Karen
_______________www.ctw​ebworx.com

sponsored links
Lord_Malone
Cream of the Manpanties.....​... Inventor Great POTN Photo Book
7,686 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 05, 2006 06:37 |  #2

Yeah, they lost some business today, but they won't suffer in the long run. B&H is huge!

~Spaceships Don't Come Equipped With Rear View Mirrors~
http://www.myspace.com​/chocolate_thai (external link)

muggah
94 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Aug 05, 2006 07:00 |  #3

The timing could not have been worse! I ordered no more than a couple of hours before the site went down :mad:

Patience is a virtue :p

Adam M
Canon 20D
50mm 1.8
28-105mm
75-300mm

ipacmm
519 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Aug 05, 2006 07:35 |  #4

I am sure they did lose a lot of business but what can you do...I was going to order some things but I had to go elsewhere because they were down. The web site is still down, you would think they would have someone trying their best to get it back up...but I guess not.

Michael
Gear: 1Ds Mark III & L lenses.
My Photography (external link)

NIftyBobby
100 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Aug 05, 2006 07:40 |  #5

hey, maybe con edison would compensate them as much as they did for other businesses in astoria queens, 7,000. i'm sure that would cover it. yup.

x Bobby Wang
^ - - - (Link Malfunction - Under Construction)

SailBlue5
28 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Aug 05, 2006 10:30 as a reply to  @ muggah's post |  #6

muggah wrote:
The timing could not have been worse! I ordered no more than a couple of hours before the site went down :mad:

Patience is a virtue :p

If it really went down at 9:45 am, I ordered minutes before it went down. I will consider the camera I bought to be a lucky one.

Michael

judyg
170 posts
Joined May 2005

Aug 05, 2006 10:44 as a reply to  @ ipacmm's post |  #7

ipacmm wrote:
I am sure they did lose a lot of business but what can you do...I was going to order some things but I had to go elsewhere because they were down. The web site is still down, you would think they would have someone trying their best to get it back up...but I guess not.

They don't work on Saturdays for religious reasons.

ipacmm
519 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Aug 05, 2006 11:27 as a reply to  @ judyg's post |  #8

judyg wrote:
They don't work on Saturdays for religious reasons.

I know, but you would think they could get someone else to get the site back up.

Michael
Gear: 1Ds Mark III & L lenses.
My Photography (external link)

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Aug 05, 2006 12:48 as a reply to  @ ipacmm's post |  #9

ipacmm wrote:
I know, but you would think they could get someone else to get the site back up.

That would be akin to working themselves, in their view, and therefore also wrong.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

CoolToolGuy
Boosting Ruler Sales
4,175 posts
Joined Aug 2003

Aug 05, 2006 15:43 as a reply to  @ Jon's post |  #10

Jon wrote:
That would be akin to working themselves, in their view, and therefore also wrong.

That is, if they themselves do the work. My understanding is that they can hire someone to do those things for them, and an example would be that the butler can turn the lights on and off on Saturday (unless, of course the butler is Jewish too).

So in fact, and this is purely speculation, they may actually be okay by now but they could take this opportunity to do some maintenance on the servers or their applications and get everything back up and running by this evening.

This outage pointed out to me how much we all depend on the B&H Web site for things beyond buying. Earlier today I was responding to another thread, and I wanted a technical spec on a 500mm lens to include in the post. My first reaction was to go to the B&H site to get it and then Doh! realized that I couldn't get the spec since the whole site is down. Very unusual for one store to be so dominant, but they seem to take it in stride and not rake us over the coals as a result of their position.

Have Fun,

Rick

My Gear list

LadyHawk
THREAD ­ STARTER
611 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Aug 06, 2006 00:55 |  #11

Does anyone know what time the store opens on Sunday? I was hoping the site would be up by now... They are going to be flooded with orders tomorrow!

Never mind... I just got my answer.

Power has been restored to our New York City location. We are working on restoring our website and will have it available soon.
All orders will be shipped out on Monday (August 7, 2006)
Please check back with us later.

The following are our business hours:
Sunday: 10:00 am to 5:00 p.m.
Monday through Thursday: 9:00 am to 7:00 p.m.
Friday (winter EST): 9:00 am to 1:00 p.m.
Friday (Summer DST): 9:00 am to 2:00 p.m.
Saturday: Closed

Karen
_______________www.ctw​ebworx.com

RedMatrixXRS
382 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Aug 06, 2006 03:13 |  #12

i just put an order through adorama cause B&H's site was down. hope they don't let me down.

Canon T3i/Canon 20D/Nifty Fifty/70-200 2.8L IS/430EX/Searching for a good walk-around lens

muggah
94 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Aug 06, 2006 03:34 |  #13

B&H is alive and well once again. :)

Adam M
Canon 20D
50mm 1.8
28-105mm
75-300mm

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,093 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 06, 2006 07:47 |  #14

Wanted to start a new post, but didn't. I subscribe to Consumer Reports in the US. I was just looking at camera recommendations and came up with this link:

Sorry, link needs log in. Look below.

Hope it works. Okay, it does. B&H is even mentioned with the website address as a place to go. Wow.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

CoolToolGuy
Boosting Ruler Sales
4,175 posts
Joined Aug 2003

Aug 06, 2006 14:21 as a reply to  @ SuzyView's post |  #15

Suzie, I tried it and it seems to need a login. . .

Have Fun,

Rick

My Gear list

sponsored links

1,292 views & 0 likes for this thread
B&H Story
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.