Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 Sep 2016 (Monday) 19:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D II vs 80D

sjnovakovich
207 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 12, 2016 19:55 |  #1

This may have been asked/answered elsewhere... sorry if it was. I got into Canon several years ago with a 10D. Over time, I bought some really great class including a 70-200L and 24-70L. I visit our kids in Alaska every 2 years and have great photo ops. Two years ago I sold the 10D and bought a Rebel t5i. I have the itch to get back to something higher end, but I don't know whether to go with the 7D II or the 80D. I shoot a lot of landscape and a fair amount of wildlife.

Opinions?

Thanks,
Steve

Steve Novakovich
www.SteveNovakovich.co​m (external link)

sponsored links
Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,433 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 12, 2016 20:01 |  #2

sjnovakovich wrote in post #18126012 (external link)
This may have been asked/answered elsewhere... sorry if it was. I got into Canon several years ago with a 10D. Over time, I bought some really great class including a 70-200L and 24-70L. I visit our kids in Alaska every 2 years and have great photo ops. Two years ago I sold the 10D and bought a Rebel t5i. I have the itch to get back to something higher end, but I don't know whether to go with the 7D II or the 80D. I shoot a lot of landscape and a fair amount of wildlife.

Opinions?

Thanks,
Steve

Moving or static wildlife? The 80D got a bit of a boost in dynamic range on the sensor, so if you're shooting *more* landscape and not trying to capture a ton of fast action, the 80D might be your better bet. Not that the 80D would be a slouch for action, it just isn't AS fast or have quite as much customization available for the AF system.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,160 posts
Gallery: 1633 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Sep 12, 2016 20:04 |  #3

Heya,

They're similar, and priced quite close, so it is hard to really hone in one which way to go. I guess it really comes down to if you're buying new, or if you're going refurb/used. The 7D2 at the refurb/used price is the way to go honestly. Ton of camera for it's price. The 80D new, or used would be my 2nd pick. No matter the circumstances, the 7D2 probably is the way to go over the 80D, unless cost is simply too prohibitive. It also depends on how in depth you want to have to learn the tool, the 7D2 has a ton of options & controls in the AF system, and trying to use it without configuring it for the task is not as simple. They both have similar AF sensitivity (-3EV) and can AF at F8, so most of their similarities are covered. The main differences, well, are that the 80D has a touch & swivel screen, and the 7D2 has the more robust AF system, faster FPS, and a touch more ISO ability.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Larry ­ Johnson
Goldmember
1,295 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 12, 2016 20:11 |  #4

Don't mean to muddy the waters, but don't landscape photographers prefer full frame cameras.

flickr (external link)

sjnovakovich
THREAD ­ STARTER
207 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 12, 2016 20:12 as a reply to  @ MalVeauX's post |  #5

Thanks for the response. As they are similarly priced, the cost does not concern me. I was really set on the 7d II until I began reading about all of the customization options. While I am not a novice, the 7d II options are daunting to me. The wildlife is static, for the most part, so fps isn't critical.

Steve Novakovich

sjnovakovich
THREAD ­ STARTER
207 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 12, 2016 20:13 as a reply to  @ Larry Johnson's post |  #6

FF is beyond my price range. I'd love to have one, but will live with crop for now.

Steve Novakovich

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,160 posts
Gallery: 1633 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Sep 12, 2016 20:22 |  #7

Larry Johnson wrote in post #18126024 (external link)
Don't mean to muddy the waters, but don't landscape photographers prefer full frame cameras.

There was a time, yes. But that time has sailed on. It really doesn't matter if you're using a Canon full frame or Canon APS-C for landscape right now unless you need every absolute bit of extra advantage, and even then, some of Canon's latest APS-C sensors are better than some of Canon's current full frame line up in some ways. There was a time it was a default "full frame is better." But, really, it's just not the case anymore.

And either way, if that really was such a matter, one would get the better full frame sensor, in a Sony, Nikon or Pentax body, if one truly was worried about getting the most for their landscape full frame approach to photography. ;)

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

fordmondeo
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 13, 2016 09:45 |  #8

sjnovakovich wrote in post #18126032 (external link)
FF is beyond my price range. I'd love to have one, but will live with crop for now.

Here in the uk there is hardly any difference in price between a 6D and an 80D.

Just sayin!

Vaginator9000

GregDunn
Goldmember
1,287 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Sep 13, 2016 10:05 |  #9

sjnovakovich wrote in post #18126032 (external link)

Be sure that you know why you're looking for a FF sensor before buying one, in any case. If you are shooting wildlife or sports where you are focal length limited, a 7D2 will put more pixels on your target than any camera Canon has, except possibly the 5Ds series. This means you'll need to magnify the image less when printing or cropping it, and you will effectively get more resolution. That, plus the excellent AF of the camera, makes it a tough package to beat. I'm not totally convinced that my 1Dx autofocus is better than my 7D2; it's certainly close. The 7D2 has three microprocessors to handle focusing and image capture (like the 1Dx), which means it's not spreading its computing resources as thin as the xxD series. When I miss a shot, it's usually me and not the camera.

Also, unless you're one of those people who loves to underexpose and then boost the brightness in post, the DR of the 7D2 is as good as it gets. The thermal and pattern noise of the sensor is better than the other crop cameras, and better than all but possibly the 1Dx2 and 5D4. This matters if you're doing long exposures in dark environments (like astrophotography). The key is : don't underexpose. The 6D and 1Dx are better for short exposures / underexposures; it's about choosing the right tool. My kit for events includes the 1Dx and 7D2; between them, I can shoot anything I'm interested in - and the 7D2 gets used a lot.

Canon 1Dx | 5D3 | 7D2 | 6D | 70-200L f/2.8IS | 70-200L f/4 | 24-70L f/2.8 | 24-105L f/4IS | 100-400L f/4.5-5.6IS | 17-55 f/2.8IS | 50 f/1.8 | 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 | 4x Godox AD360

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,887 posts
Gallery: 103 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Sep 13, 2016 10:19 |  #10

The 80D has better DR, and is very nearly identical to the 7D2 at high ISOs. So if you expose for highlights and still need to bring the shadow areas up, the 80D is going to be better in that regard.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock
For Sale: Ladies Thirty-One Camera Sling

jbrackjr
481 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 13, 2016 15:40 |  #11

I shoot a little landscape and mostly wildlife. When I upgraded my 60D, it was a toss up for me between the 7DII and the 80D. I decided to give the 80D a try because of the slightly better DR, the touchscreen and saving a few bucks as well.

The touchscreen should be on all of Canons's cameras. It is like using your phone, really a big improvement for me, faster moving thru the menu screens.

Moving up from the 60D the 80D has a significantly improved AF system, really nice. But no question it is not as refined as the 7DII.

Now if you weren't invested in Canon glass, I would say get the Nikon D500 & 200-500.

Good luck.

Jim
Gear List

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Sep 19, 2016 18:25 |  #12

GregDunn wrote in post #18126576 (external link)
Be sure that you know why you're looking for a FF sensor before buying one, in any case. If you are shooting wildlife or sports where you are focal length limited, a 7D2 will put more pixels on your target than any camera Canon has, except possibly the 5Ds series. This means you'll need to magnify the image less when printing or cropping it, and you will effectively get more resolution. That, plus the excellent AF of the camera, makes it a tough package to beat. I'm not totally convinced that my 1Dx autofocus is better than my 7D2; it's certainly close. The 7D2 has three microprocessors to handle focusing and image capture (like the 1Dx), which means it's not spreading its computing resources as thin as the xxD series. When I miss a shot, it's usually me and not the camera.

Also, unless you're one of those people who loves to underexpose and then boost the brightness in post, the DR of the 7D2 is as good as it gets. The thermal and pattern noise of the sensor is better than the other crop cameras, and better than all but possibly the 1Dx2 and 5D4. This matters if you're doing long exposures in dark environments (like astrophotography). The key is : don't underexpose. The 6D and 1Dx are better for short exposures / underexposures; it's about choosing the right tool. My kit for events includes the 1Dx and 7D2; between them, I can shoot anything I'm interested in - and the 7D2 gets used a lot.

Close, but no banana. 80D has 20% more pixels to put on target than the 7DII. 24 vs 20. In any event, it will only matter when really pushing the limits of cropping.

Jared5
142 posts
Joined Aug 2016

Sep 21, 2016 11:29 |  #13

Does the top LCD exposure meter act "properly" in Manual mode on the 80D?

That's my main gripe about the 7D Mk2. The things I wish I could fix on the 7D Mk2 would be in this order:

1. Bring back the exposure meter in the top LCD screen when in Manual mode (like every other Canon body I've owned
  2. Please Canon, give us the option to have DNG raws and .cr2 (this goes for all cameras, not just the 7D Mk2)
  3. ISO 50 would be nice on the 7D Mk2
  4. Instead of USB 3.0, please use USB Type-C instead

Here's my thread on the 7D Mk2 Exposure Level Indicator issue:

Canon 7D Mk2 - Exposure Level Indicator - doesn't show on top LCD screen in Manual mode

-

5D Mk4 | 5D Mk3 | 5D Mk2 | 7D Mk2 | 7D | 80D | 50D | 40D |
85mm f/1.8 (x2) | 50mm f/1.4 (x2) | 28mm f/1.8 | 50mm f/2.5 macro |
16-35mm f/2.8L | 24-70mm f/2.8L II (x2) | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | ...and more in gear list

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,887 posts
Gallery: 103 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Sep 21, 2016 11:40 |  #14

DNG and USB-C would do nothing for me personally. I wouldn't mind ISO 50, however until Canon actually implements a real ISO 50, it is a moot point. You can shoot ISO 50 manually yourself and do just as good as an in-camera ISO setting.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock
For Sale: Ladies Thirty-One Camera Sling

Jared5
142 posts
Joined Aug 2016

Sep 21, 2016 12:24 |  #15

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18135553 (external link)
DNG and USB-C would do nothing for me personally. I wouldn't mind ISO 50, however until Canon actually implements a real ISO 50, it is a moot point. You can shoot ISO 50 manually yourself and do just as good as an in-camera ISO setting.

The main reason I'd want ISO 50 would be for video. For stills I probably wouldn't need it.
But I guess that's what ND filters are for...

5D Mk4 | 5D Mk3 | 5D Mk2 | 7D Mk2 | 7D | 80D | 50D | 40D |
85mm f/1.8 (x2) | 50mm f/1.4 (x2) | 28mm f/1.8 | 50mm f/2.5 macro |
16-35mm f/2.8L | 24-70mm f/2.8L II (x2) | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | ...and more in gear list

sponsored links

8,301 views & 7 likes for this thread
7D II vs 80D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.