Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 14 Sep 2016 (Wednesday) 03:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A Couple Photos from Joshua Tree

bcusitsjeff
115 posts
Joined May 2011

Sep 14, 2016 03:55 |  #1

Hi all, I was wondering if you guys might be able to offer up any Comments & Critique on a couple of photos I took in Joshua Tree. My laptop is down at the moment, so these were edited on my phone through LightRoom Mobile.

Camera is a Sony A7 with a Canon FD 28-70

Thank you.

IMAGE: https://c3.staticflickr.com/9/8631/28604423922_1920ee0428_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/KzF9​EN  (external link) Untitled (external link) by yooitsjeff (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8579/28092837704_c88e3de600_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/JNt8​UL  (external link) Untitled (external link) by yooitsjeff (external link), on Flickr

flckr (external link)

sponsored links
bcusitsjeff
THREAD ­ STARTER
115 posts
Joined May 2011

Sep 14, 2016 03:57 |  #2

A couple more from a more recent trip.

Somewhere under some rocks in Joshua Tree

IMAGE: https://c3.staticflickr.com/9/8047/29560951042_8690b6240e_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/M3cA​RG  (external link) _DSC5863 (external link) by yooitsjeff (external link), on Flickr
IMAGE: https://c5.staticflickr.com/9/8145/29560952692_91d5c367f9_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/M3cB​m9  (external link) _DSC5864 (external link) by yooitsjeff (external link), on Flickr

flckr (external link)

Qbx
Goldmember
3,909 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 14, 2016 06:50 |  #3

I think #4 is your best shot. Both #1 and #2 have about 1/2 sky so they might improve if cropped to the rule of thirds; however, I don't find #2 to have much appeal. #1 has a lot of things going on on the land: mountains, desert, round bush, vertical trees, and horizontal dead wood. I think composing on fewer elements and lines would make a stronger image.

-- Image Editing OK --

bcusitsjeff
THREAD ­ STARTER
115 posts
Joined May 2011

Sep 15, 2016 01:45 as a reply to  @ Qbx's post |  #4

Thank you

flckr (external link)

patrick ­ j
Goldmember
1,247 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 15, 2016 22:14 |  #5

The road photo is so close to the surface of the road and has so little landscape in it that it could almost be anywhere, anywhere out west at least. I don't think it works as a road photo. In the black and white tree photo, I think the fallen tree is so prominent that the Joshua Trees behind it are really like an afterthought. You want a foreground of course, but maybe not one so prominent. If it is supposed to be a picture of the fallen tree, then I think it needed to be more prominent, now it's sort of in between being the subject or just being the foreground for the standing trees behind it.

Flickr (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,340 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Sep 17, 2016 10:05 |  #6

Qbx wrote in post #18127675 (external link)
I think #4 is your best shot. Both #1 and #2 have about 1/2 sky so they might improve if cropped to the rule of thirds; however, I don't find #2 to have much appeal. #1 has a lot of things going on on the land: mountains, desert, round bush, vertical trees, and horizontal dead wood. I think composing on fewer elements and lines would make a stronger image.

my thoughts exactly.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Road ­ Dog
Goldmember
1,129 posts
Gallery: 101 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2014

Sep 17, 2016 10:48 as a reply to  @ Left Handed Brisket's post |  #7

I actually like #2 a lot.

You've got some dust on your sensor, though...

Just shut up and smile...
My Current Line-Up

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,340 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Sep 17, 2016 10:51 |  #8

Road Dog wrote in post #18130892 (external link)
I actually like #2 a lot.

i didn't have my glasses on when i first viewed this thread :rolleyes: and missed the road rising up in the distance. That adds significantly to the interest, to the point getting closer to it and making it more prominent might have made a really nice shot.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

bcusitsjeff
THREAD ­ STARTER
115 posts
Joined May 2011

Sep 17, 2016 13:03 |  #9

Awesome. Thank you all for your comments. I'm going back to Joshua tree next weekend hopefully I'll be able to reshoot these places. I've since got my computer back and did some spot removal on them and man was there a lot. I think they're mainly on the lens (really cheap old lens that I found). I didn't notice them too much on my phone. I tried bringing out the background a little more in the first picture and it looks a little bit better. I'll try reposting in when I get back to my computer.

Thank you again for your comments

flckr (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,909 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 2 years ago by Tom Reichner.

Sep 17, 2016 13:38 |  #10

bcusitsjeff wrote in post #18130991 (external link)
I've since got my computer back and did some spot removal on them and man was there a lot. I think they're mainly on the lens (really cheap old lens that I found).

No, those are sensor spots........spots on a lens (even spots on the rear element) will not result in that type of spotting in the final image.

Just give your sensor a quick wet clean - takes all of 2 minutes. Or blow it off with a rocket blower - takes all of 10 seconds.
https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=kgLzBPjR2ls (external link)

The guy doing the video makes a big deal of it, saying that he did "lots of research" over and over. That is ridiculous - you just swab it off the same way you do any other sensor. It does't require any special care or thoughtfulness - I've done it while driving my car, sitting at an intersection waiting for the light to turn green.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

sponsored links

2,108 views & 7 likes for this thread
A Couple Photos from Joshua Tree
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.