Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 08 Sep 2016 (Thursday) 23:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The EOS M5 finally? maybe? possibly?

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,924 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013
Post edited over 4 years ago by FarmerTed1971.

Sep 14, 2016 09:44 |  #31

There's like 7 lenses available... that's not a bad range. Could be improved, sure. There are also a handful of 3rd party lenses that will fit.

22mm
28mm
11-22
15-45
18-55
18-150 newly announced
55-200

Getting better at this - Fuji X-t3 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 16 1.4 - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

sponsored links
PineBomb
I have many notable flaws
2,470 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Joined Apr 2014

Sep 14, 2016 09:52 |  #32

DreDaze wrote in post #18127784 (external link)
I feel like using adapters on these smaller cameras defeats the whole purpose of using a smaller camera...i think canons main problem is a lack of native lenses for the m line

That's certainly what relegates it to the role of a supplemental camera for those already shooting EOS. There's little incentive for someone outside of the Canon camp to adopt this.

FarmerTed1971 wrote in post #18127785 (external link)
There's like 5 lenses available... that's not a bad range. Could be improved, sure.

They need some more interesting prime lenses to roll my socks up and down.

-Matt
Website (external link) | flickr (external link) | instagram (external link) | street portrait project on instagram (external link)

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,873 posts
Gallery: 2031 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013
Post edited over 4 years ago by MalVeauX.

Sep 14, 2016 09:58 |  #33

Hrm,

Its hard to commit seriously into the M line from both Canon and the consumer point of view, as the M system hasn't been mature and still isn't. It lacks a ton compared to other mirrorless systems and it's not due to lack of lenses, it's the body itself. The M line has been more of an "experiment" at least to me rather than a fully supported and committed system from Canon. Even if they offered awesome lenses for the system, small, compact, sharp and fast, etc, it wouldn't make up for the short comings of the body itself. I think the Live View only method as a viewfinder over three releases of the same body has been their gravest error in design. And when they saw the error, their response was to release an expensive silly adapter that makes the system really awkward looking, awkward shaped and having to pay considerably for it just makes it obvious the system is not mature.

I say this as someone with the original M and I like it (I literally only use the 22 F2 STM prime with it, as I favor it as a compact with a small lens, any larger lens than that and I have no interest in it as it loses the compact nature), I use it, but it's far and away from being a system. More like a side-kick to Canon's other cameras. A means to have a wee camera that can take native EF glass. The way they designed it, was literally made to not be a full system but rather a sidekick addition to their main systems and lenses. A toe in the mirrorless pool.

Hopefully the M5 will finally answer this and the body will mature into something a system can actually be formed around. Then, adding good lenses would help it. But the body has to be good and full of features and competitive before having native EF-M glass beyond basic zooms and a prime become truly worth while.

To me, if the M5 is that matured M line answer, then the glass to match it would really need to follow suit. But only after the body is right. Even then, some native EF-M glass that isn't crazy expensive would be good. Fuji set the bar here I think. They have awesome glass for their really good little mirrorless cameras, with weather resistance on top of all that, which is really nice to pack it all in like that, and have a 23mm F1.4, 18mm F2, 56mm F1.2, etc, plus zooms and all that. These kinds of lenses are exciting, but only if the mature body is a real system body and not just a sidekick body...

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

WA ­ Tiger
682 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 14, 2016 11:30 |  #34

More detailed specifications of the Canon EOS M5 have emerged ahead of tomorrows announcement.

Canon EOS M5 Specifications
Sensor: Effective pixels 24.2 million pixels (the total number of pixels 25.8 million pixels) APS-C CMOS
Dual pixel AF CMOS
Video engine: DIGIC 7
ISO Sensitivity: 100-25600
Shutter speed: 1 / 4000-30 seconds
The maximum flash synchro shutter speed 1/200 sec
Continuous shooting: up to about 9 frames / sec., about 7 frames / sec (at the time of AF tracking?)
Video: Full HD 60p, 5-axis electronic image stabilization
EVF: 2.36 million dot
LCD Screen: 3.2 inches 1.62 million dot touch panel movable LCD
Wireless features: Wi-Fi (IEEE 802.11B / G / N), Bluetooth (4.1)
Battery: LP-E17
Media: SD / SDHC / SDXC card (UHS-I compatible)
Size (width x height x depth): 115.6 x 89.2 x 60.6 Mm
Weight: about 380g (body only), 427g (including battery · SD card)

This looks to be the first EOS M camera we’re actually excited about.

Read more: http://www.canonrumors​.com …ons-emerge/#ixzz4KFSn5Y3Q (external link)

MedicineMan4040
THREAD ­ STARTER
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
21,724 posts
Gallery: 1956 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Jul 2013

Sep 14, 2016 14:07 |  #35

WA Tiger wrote in post #18127879 (external link)
More detailed specifications of the Canon EOS M5 have emerged ahead of tomorrows announcement.

Canon EOS M5 Specifications
Sensor: Effective pixels 24.2 million pixels (the total number of pixels 25.8 million pixels) APS-C CMOS
Dual pixel AF CMOS
Video engine: DIGIC 7
ISO Sensitivity: 100-25600
Shutter speed: 1 / 4000-30 seconds
The maximum flash synchro shutter speed 1/200 sec
Continuous shooting: up to about 9 frames / sec., about 7 frames / sec (at the time of AF tracking?)
Video: Full HD 60p, 5-axis electronic image stabilization
EVF: 2.36 million dot
LCD Screen: 3.2 inches 1.62 million dot touch panel movable LCD
Wireless features: Wi-Fi (IEEE 802.11B / G / N), Bluetooth (4.1)
Battery: LP-E17
Media: SD / SDHC / SDXC card (UHS-I compatible)
Size (width x height x depth): 115.6 x 89.2 x 60.6 Mm
Weight: about 380g (body only), 427g (including battery · SD card)

This looks to be the first EOS M camera we’re actually excited about.

Read more: http://www.canonrumors​.com …ons-emerge/#ixzz4KFSn5Y3Q (external link)

NICE !!!!!
Pricing is now the issue. All the specs are liveable :)
One thing going for us interested in the M5 is the fact that Oly's new flagship will be anounced and maybe the GH5 and also the fact that
the a6300 is long in the tooth now by Sony standards; plus the M5 has no WiFi. Be smart of Canon to undercut Sony on this.

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

dtufino
Goldmember
4,040 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Sep 14, 2016 16:21 as a reply to  @ post 18127784 |  #36

if you can use your 50 f/1.2 or 85mm or even any other lens on a smaller camera why wouldn't you buy a 90 dollar adapter, especially if there aren't many lenses for the camera? its cost effective.

-David T.
www.dtufinophoto.com (external link)

@dtufino_photo (external link)
flickr (external link)

MedicineMan4040
THREAD ­ STARTER
21,724 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Sep 14, 2016 17:48 |  #37

dtufino wrote in post #18128123 (external link)
if you can use your 50 f/1.2 or 85mm or even any other lens on a smaller camera why wouldn't you buy a 90 dollar adapter, especially if there aren't many lenses for the camera? its cost effective.

I'm good, already have the adapter and an M2, a few EF lenses to play with :)
Just need a reasonable price tag from the Canon bean counters.

flickr (external link)

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,380 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Sep 14, 2016 18:28 |  #38

dtufino wrote in post #18128123 (external link)

i feel like the ergonomics of the larger lenses on the smaller camera just don't make sense...and as i said if you add the large lens, the small camera isn't really a benefit anymore

you could grab something like the rebel sl1, and pretty much be at the same size when using EF lenses...

http://camerasize.com …t/#599.295.2,44​8.295,ha,t (external link)

and that's on the m3...this new m5 looks to be slightly bigger

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

dtufino
Goldmember
4,040 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Sep 14, 2016 19:06 |  #39

DreDaze wrote in post #18128249 (external link)
i feel like the ergonomics of the larger lenses on the smaller camera just don't make sense...and as i said if you add the large lens, the small camera isn't really a benefit anymore

you could grab something like the rebel sl1, and pretty much be at the same size when using EF lenses...

http://camerasize.com …t/#599.295.2,44​8.295,ha,t (external link)

and that's on the m3...this new m5 looks to be slightly bigger

I've had Missorless cameras (Sony A7, A7II Fuji XT1 Etc) and i have no problems with metabones adapters and lenses with them.

-David T.

flickr (external link)

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,380 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Sep 14, 2016 19:27 as a reply to  @ dtufino's post |  #40

How large of a lens have you mounted to them? The op mentioned a 400mm f5.6, which is where I'm thinking the ergonomics could be rough

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

smythie
I wasn't even trying
3,785 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 14, 2016 19:33 |  #41

Like this? 500/4 G on adaptor on A7R

IMAGE: http://smythie.id.au/images/Over_the_top_DSC00378.jpg

IMAGE: http://smythie.id.au/images/Over_the_top_DSC00379.jpg

Gear List

MedicineMan4040
THREAD ­ STARTER
21,724 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Sep 15, 2016 06:33 |  #42

Dre, mounting a large EF lens on the M5 wouldn't be a first choice for sure but as backup in the backpack its just good to know it
will work. The 400/5.6 just might be fun. I don't have one though. I'd rent from LensRental first to see how I liked it first. From what
I'm seeing in this vid it just might work as a lightweight BIF rig-

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=z0If-yw2AOI (external link)

flickr (external link)

dtufino
Goldmember
4,040 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Sep 15, 2016 08:35 |  #43

i just saw this:
Compatible with EF-M lenses as well as the full line of "EFviii" and "EF-Sviii" lenses and Speedlites for expanded creativity.

what does that MEAN? can i mount my lenses on it?

-David T.

flickr (external link)

marcial4
Goldmember
1,370 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 15, 2016 08:55 as a reply to  @ dtufino's post |  #44

you can mount your EF-S or EF lenses using the adapter like previous gen M cameras.

Marcial "Marshall" Quintero
EOS R | EF16-35/4L | EF100L Macro | EF70-300L

A Venezuelan living in Santiago de Chile

Instagram (external link) flickr (external link)

WA ­ Tiger
682 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 15, 2016 10:32 |  #45

Here it is on the Aussie web site.....:-)

https://www.canon.com.​au/eos-m5/ (external link)

EOS M5

Uncompromising quality in a compact body

Details from shadows to highlights are captured beautifully with the EOS M5 thanks to DIGIC 7, which offers boosted image processing power for lower noise and more detailed images with richer tones.

sponsored links

12,870 views & 11 likes for this thread
The EOS M5 finally? maybe? possibly?
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.