Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 14 Sep 2016 (Wednesday) 23:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Son - Isaac - 4

Butts
I coulda shoulda woulda
476 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 14, 2016 23:27 |  #1

The photo was purely intended as a test shot.
Appreciate some C&C on the different processing.

Preference and why would be appreciated?
Cons, I'm a big boy and can handle it, so be brutal if you need to be. Caveat, my son is NOT up for discussion.

1DsMkIII, 50mm @ F1.2, ISO50, 1/500.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,065 posts
Gallery: 1517 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Sep 14, 2016 23:41 |  #2

Heya,

First one looks better to me from a processing stand point. The second one looks like the kind of filter you'd find off a phone, plasticized to me.

Too bad about the blinds or whatever that is behind your son, a simple background would have looked great with this. Granted you could process it out too.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Butts
THREAD ­ STARTER
I coulda shoulda woulda
476 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 14, 2016 23:55 |  #3

MalVeauX wrote in post #18128524 (external link)
Heya,

First one looks better to me from a processing stand point. The second one looks like the kind of filter you'd find off a phone, plasticized to me.

Too bad about the blinds or whatever that is behind your son, a simple background would have looked great with this. Granted you could process it out too.

Very best,

Mal, yes, background was a serious flaw........
Appreciate your preference, 2nd was just a different take with a high key tweak.
Thanks for your comments.

OhLook
Spiderwoman
17,983 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 15, 2016 00:58 |  #4

I prefer #1. It's more realistic, and he looks livelier and healthier in #1 because #2 makes the skin tone so pale.

Outline of left ear in both is distorted by local overexposure: too much light coming in from behind at that spot.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

Butts
THREAD ­ STARTER
I coulda shoulda woulda
476 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 15, 2016 01:05 |  #5

OhLook wrote in post #18128584 (external link)
I prefer #1. It's more realistic, and he looks livelier and healthier in #1 because #2 makes the skin tone so pale.

Outline of left ear in both is distorted by local overexposure: too much light coming in from behind at that spot.

OhLook, thanks for your feedback.
Left ear, must say I didn't even notice......until you pointed it out. At least you explained to me WHY it has happened, so its something I can avoid in the future.
Really appreciate that.
Glad you prefer #1, like Mal, it is also my preference.

Qbx
Goldmember
3,909 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 15, 2016 10:03 |  #6

Something doesn't look right to me. It looks like you may have blurred his face. The eyes look sharp but the front part of his hair is blurred and halfway back it looks in focus; then in contrast, the front shoulder looks in focus. It looks like intentional blurring. If you did that, I'd suggest backing off the blur altogether.

-- Image Editing OK --

DagoImaging
Goldmember
1,899 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Sep 15, 2016 11:02 |  #7

I couldn't put it togeher either.
Front shoulder and front eye in focus...almost same focal plane so I can understand. Front of hair is blurred but behind that is in focus....this confuses me being the image is shot at f1.2. Focus should have been falling off behind it.
For this the image just isn't right to me. Non-photogs may never notice but from a photography point of view I wonder what you did in post.

Sony a6300/ 16-70/4 / 70-200/4 G / Sony HVL-60M
https://designcostello​.com/ (external link)

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 15, 2016 11:46 |  #8

Using a 50mm lens for portrait work borders on insanity...poor focus.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

AZGeorge
Goldmember
2,492 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 15, 2016 15:25 |  #9

The best tests are often those where the results don't measure up to expectations.

With similar lighting and the same (great) subject and (fine) camera, you may want to continue testing, closing down your 50mm to various stops and adjusting ISO and shutter speed to maintain the same light values. For almost all portraits you want to focus so at least one eye is in sharp focus and control your DOF to maintain decent focus on other facial features.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

Butts
THREAD ­ STARTER
I coulda shoulda woulda
476 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Post edited over 2 years ago by Butts.

Sep 16, 2016 04:12 |  #10

Qbx wrote in post #18128932 (external link)
Something doesn't look right to me. It looks like you may have blurred his face. The eyes look sharp but the front part of his hair is blurred and halfway back it looks in focus; then in contrast, the front shoulder looks in focus. It looks like intentional blurring. If you did that, I'd suggest backing off the blur altogether.

And you'd be right thinking something doesn't look right. I had to do a double take when I had it on my monitor, it was definitely shot at 1.2, and there is NO additional blurring.
All I could deduce was the focal plan has gone through into his hair as his head is tilted at an angle towards the camera. I'm also shooting from a higher position than he is.
I don't have any other explanation, and its the only reasoning I can come to a logical conclusion.
Any other thoughts on HOW or WHY this might happen?

Post processing consisted of Contrast adjustment, eye work and some skin blemish cleaning. Usual overall sharpen at end.

DagoImaging wrote in post #18128990 (external link)
I couldn't put it togeher either.
Front shoulder and front eye in focus...almost same focal plane so I can understand. Front of hair is blurred but behind that is in focus....this confuses me being the image is shot at f1.2. Focus should have been falling off behind it.
For this the image just isn't right to me. Non-photogs may never notice but from a photography point of view I wonder what you did in post.

Refer response above.

chauncey wrote in post #18129029 (external link)
Using a 50mm lens for portrait work borders on insanity...poor focus.

It was a test shot, I shot the same pose and lighting with 70-200 @ f2.8 and 135 @ f2. Not sure the pic was poor focus, as the part I wanted sharp and in focus (eyes) was.
Maybe poor choice of lens and aperture! :-)

AZGeorge wrote in post #18129238 (external link)
The best tests are often those where the results don't measure up to expectations.

With similar lighting and the same (great) subject and (fine) camera, you may want to continue testing, closing down your 50mm to various stops and adjusting ISO and shutter speed to maintain the same light values. For almost all portraits you want to focus so at least one eye is in sharp focus and control your DOF to maintain decent focus on other facial features.

Will do, and yes as chauncey commented, probably poor choice of lens and aperture.

Guys appreciate the feedback, let me organise another shoot using the 50 (stopped down) and the 135 with a better BACKGROUND!!

sponsored links

1,728 views & 4 likes for this thread
Son - Isaac - 4
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.