Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 Aug 2016 (Wednesday) 21:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 5D Mark IV -- Time to Discuss!

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,086 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 15, 2016 17:42 |  #2251

planet5D wrote in post #18129343 (external link)
I did just buy a 64gb SD card to use for 4k video - which I will only do rarely.

People blasting Canon for not putting in CFast but to me there's no need and they saved me a bunch of money. I suspect over 80% of the market is in the same boat - so Canon chose to go with the market.

Cfast would of sucked. The fact the UHS-1 Sandisk Extreme Pro cards work on 4K means I just bought a 256GB card for $123! Thats cheaper than I paid for my 64GB 1066x card just two years ago. CF and SD cards are cheap. The sandisk cards are inexpensive and WORK on 4K. This series: https://www.amazon.com …PA-256G-G46/dp/B00NP63XGE (external link)

Thank you canon for releasing a new camera so I do NOT have to spend 500 on new cfast cards: https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com …ast_2_0_cfx650_​flash.html (external link)

$500+ for a 256gb Cfast or $123 SD??? cmon' people what are you really griping about????

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18129323 (external link)
I also don't understand why cfast is so desirable. What is the cf card not doing for folks?

They want unlimited buffer and they "could" have but since when has Canon ever done that?... oh the 1DxII and it's a new feature and they want it in that camera and probably in 4 years that will be done and we will have unlimited buffers for all cameras from that point on. I surely am not missing anything.

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

sponsored links
Talley
Talley Whacker
11,086 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 15, 2016 17:44 |  #2252

nqjudo wrote in post #18129364 (external link)
I owned a D810 and a D750 but actually preferred the D700. At this level of technology all of these cameras are fantastic choices and what makes once came 'better' than the other is entirely subjective. I'd consider it myopic to call one camera better than the other based solely on the sensor. One has to consider the entire package. I'm not sure how anyone is left behind by owning any one of these cameras.

Bingo.

You guys picking apart IQ at the pixel level... ppfff... 110% of americans who look at images DO NOT CARE about pixel level IQ and still love images from 10yr old cameras. IT'S NOT THE CAMERA THAT PRODUCES GREAT IMAGES.... THEY JUST SIT THERE WAITING FOR THAT TINY NUGGET BEHIND YOUR EYEBALLS TO TELL IT WHAT TO DO

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

rantercsr
Goldmember
3,203 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2014
Post edited over 3 years ago by rantercsr.

Sep 15, 2016 18:19 |  #2253

if one is going to worry about always being ahead then the 5d4 wont last you long..... ..and as talley said above , at this point its when you really start tearing things down to the point where who the in the world wouold notice it when viewed normally

sony is due for something out soon ,, arent they on a yearly schedule? .. as eventually will be nikon and everyone else..
and then people will cry again about why canon is behind.. and either jump ship or stay for the long haul..

Those that stay for the long haul are perfectly happy where they are , and they should be , they have the camera that fits thier needs

I got a couple of Cameras and lenses ...Canon, Sony, Fuji, Pansonic, pentax
My portraits IG (external link)My everything else IG (external link)
MY flickr (external link)
My latest YT video -->https://youtu.be/YzJ1o​eiHm7Y (external link)

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,069 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 15, 2016 18:37 |  #2254

rantercsr wrote in post #18129431 (external link)
if one is going to worry about always being ahead then the 5d4 wont last you long..... ..and as talley said above , at this point its when you really start tearing things down to the point where who the in the world wouold notice it when viewed normally

sony is due for something out soon ,, arent they on a yearly schedule? .. as eventually will be nikon and everyone else..
and then people will cry again about why canon is behind.. and either jump ship or stay for the long haul..

Those that stay for the long haul are perfectly happy where they are , and they should be , they have the camera that fits thier needs

sony overhauls like every 18 months so far, but I do think this will change. I can easily see the current A7rii as a 10 yr+ camera honestly, I imagine sony will start to turn canon like and slow down.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

gossamer88
"something else"
1,297 posts
Gallery: 77 photos
Joined Aug 2014

Sep 15, 2016 19:03 |  #2255

rantercsr wrote in post #18129330 (external link)
i know at Adorama , if you rent a camera and then decide to buy it they will deduct the rental cost from the cost of camera purchase .. i'm sure there are time limitations etc.. but defenitly makes renting before purchasing more attractive ..
i'm assuming adorama isnt the only one who does this if for whatever reason(distance) they dont work for you

Did not know that!

5D Mark IV | 7D Mark II | Tamron 24-70mm G2 & 70-200mm G2 | 100-400 II | Sigma 150-600mm C
100mm 2.8 Macro | 85mm 1.8 | 50mm STM | 35mm f/2 IS | 20mm 2.8 | 10-22 USM | iPhone X

flickr (external link)

freestylee30
796 posts
Gallery: 164 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 15, 2016 19:11 |  #2256

I've got an intentionally under exposed RAW file here (external link) - if anyone wants to play around. I haven't been able to do so.

I loaded the RAW in DPP to get the jpg and it looks like I still managed to clip the highlights around the sun, but figured this might still be an ok exampled to see what can be saved in a dark image?

Here's the jpg, all I did was try to straighten the horizon a little:

IMAGE: http://bmaps.zenfolio.com/img/s1/v49/p520288256-5.jpg

Brandon | zenfolio (external link)| ♥ feedback ♥
Eternal Blue Forever Green
Image Editing OK

CANON 5DIV 50 f/1.8 85 f/1.8 135 f/2L 70-200 f/2.8L IS II
ROKINON 14 f/2.8 | TAMRON 15-30 f/2.8 VC 24-70 f/2.8 VC | SIGMA 35 f/1.4 Art |

gossamer88
"something else"
1,297 posts
Gallery: 77 photos
Joined Aug 2014

Sep 15, 2016 19:26 |  #2257

This the best I can do.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

5D Mark IV | 7D Mark II | Tamron 24-70mm G2 & 70-200mm G2 | 100-400 II | Sigma 150-600mm C
100mm 2.8 Macro | 85mm 1.8 | 50mm STM | 35mm f/2 IS | 20mm 2.8 | 10-22 USM | iPhone X

flickr (external link)

freestylee30
796 posts
Gallery: 164 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 15, 2016 19:39 as a reply to  @ gossamer88's post |  #2258

This is my quick go. A late wife bought me a few minutes to mess around. Export as TIF from DPP, then edit in LR... Not sure I'm happy with my editing, but I think that's a pretty ok recovery?

IMAGE: http://bmaps.zenfolio.com/img/s11/v31/p435953165-5.jpg

Brandon | zenfolio (external link)| ♥ feedback ♥
Eternal Blue Forever Green
Image Editing OK

CANON 5DIV 50 f/1.8 85 f/1.8 135 f/2L 70-200 f/2.8L IS II
ROKINON 14 f/2.8 | TAMRON 15-30 f/2.8 VC 24-70 f/2.8 VC | SIGMA 35 f/1.4 Art |

EzDingo
39 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Sep 15, 2016 20:16 as a reply to  @ freestylee30's post |  #2259

Thanks for the Raw file to test: LR + PS Edit

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Colorblinded
Goldmember
2,649 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 15, 2016 20:16 |  #2260

sploo wrote in post #18129048 (external link)
I suspect it will simply due to there being more attached mass, but I don't know if it's specifically designed for that.

On that subject, I've just taken delivery of the BG-E20, and my first impressions aren't good. The BG-E11 felt really "right" to me on the 5D3, but the BG-E20 grip feels quite different to that on the 5D4 body. Looking at it I think it's a little shallower (a bit like Nikon bodies that I've experienced). The end result is that my finger tips hit the main body/Canon logo on the grip before I've actually got a good hold of it. It's really not nice to hold.

The positioning of the buttons seems slightly wrong too - the shutter button is further forward than the one on the main body, so the relationship between the various buttons is subtly different between the grip and the body.

The moulding around the shutter and M-Fn buttons is totally different between the grip and body, so have quite a different feel. It looks as though the M-Fn button isn't even the same size.

The sliding on/off switch has been changed to a fiddly rotating affair that needs a thumb and forefinger to operate, and the battery tray looks like something you'd get out of a cheap Christmas cracker (really nasty looking flimsy plastic - I do worry for its longevity).

Oh, and the small (new) button by the joystick doesn't have the texturing like the main body (basically it appears to be a different part). You could understand all those oddities on a third party grip, but this feels like it was designed separately/at a different time to the body.

Very disappointing compared to the previous model.

EDIT: Having measured the grip areas, it's clear the one on the body is wider, and has a steep (almost vertical) fall into the body. The one on the grip is significantly thinner, and has a much more gentle slope - so the combination of the thinner width and curvature means I can't get a decent hold of it. Obviously you can't please everyone (different hand sizes etc) but why on earth would you design the grip to be completely different to the main body!

Basically the same, unless you enable illuminated points in AI Servo. When you do that the whole viewfinder (as in everything on it) pulses red/black/red all the time - regardless of whether you're focusing or not. It works - in the sense that you can see the points, but it's really irritating. If there were an option to have it light up permanently that would be great; even better to only light up whilst you had AF engaged.

Hearing this about the grip is a bit dismaying. The grip is essential to me, I was hoping for a repeat of the 5D3's very nice grip.

http://www.colorblinde​dphoto.com (external link)
http://www.thecolorbli​ndphotographer.com (external link)

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,092 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Sep 15, 2016 20:31 |  #2261

I really entertained changing to the D810 and getting N*kon's very capable 24-70, which my good friend uses for her professional work. I bought the book for the 810 just because everyone who has one that I know loves it. If the 5DIV was not great, I might have done it, but I can't dismiss my amazing L 's and primes to change companies. After the specs came out for the 5DIV, I couldn't have asked for more. Like some of the on-line reviewers have stated, I'm not a videotographer, so I have nothing to compare. As a still camera, I have already seen how much faster the 5DIV is for focusing. Excited to be able to buy the camera with the new lens. I put it through night shooting indoors with flash tomorrow. :)

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

Dlee13
Goldmember
4,187 posts
Gallery: 613 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 15, 2016 20:34 |  #2262

This article at Fstoppers about the 5DIV is quite good. (external link) The writer acknowledges the advancements the 5DIV'S sensor has made but also states an important fact, it's irrelevant when it comes to making good images.

It's amazing how many people I see online still trying to bash the 5DIV's sensor just because it's slightly behind Sony. People get way too caught up in the gear and specs side of things and don't even know how to fully utilize that extra DR half the time. It pretty much works like the amateurs who get the most expensive gear they can and expect it to install take the best photos. Now people just look for the highest specs and assume everything else doesn't matter :(

Sony Alpha A7III - Sony FE 35mm f/1.8 - Sony FE 90mm f/2.8 Macro
Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 16-35mm f4L IS -
Canon EOS M5 - Canon EF-M 32mm f/1.4 - Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 - Canon EF 11-22mm f/4-5.6 STM

Blog (external link) | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link)

Colorblinded
Goldmember
2,649 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Jul 2007
Post edited over 3 years ago by Colorblinded.

Sep 15, 2016 20:39 |  #2263

Dlee13 wrote in post #18129516 (external link)
This article at Fstoppers about the 5DIV is quite good. (external link) The writer acknowledges the advancements the 5DIV'S sensor has made but also states an important fact, it's irrelevant when it comes to making good images.

It's amazing how many people I see online still trying to bash the 5DIV's sensor just because it's slightly behind Sony. People get way too caught up in the gear and specs side of things and don't even know how to fully utilize that extra DR half the time. It pretty much works like the amateurs who get the most expensive gear they can and expect it to install take the best photos. Now people just look for the highest specs and assume everything else doesn't matter :(

I think saying it's irrelevant when it comes to making a good image is a misleading or even false statement. People always say the camera or lens doesn't matter, but it absolutely does. It ultimately depends on what you want to do, however. For some things you need specific tools, and certain tools or capabilities unlock certain possibilities.

A sensor with broader dynamic range, or higher ISO, or lower high ISO noise, or better color quality all can lead to more creative opportunities.

Compared to the other sensors on the market currently, it seems like the 5D4 on balance is a very well rounded sensor. It's very good, near the best at some things, and quite close at others. It no longer suffers the drawbacks that limited the 5D3 in certain types of circumstances.

As the article says, photography existed before the 5D Mark IV, and indeed, before all of these newfangled digital cameras. Did you ever try shooting a color image in very dark conditions with high ISO film? ISO 1600 color film was specialty material, and the results were... not great.

http://www.colorblinde​dphoto.com (external link)
http://www.thecolorbli​ndphotographer.com (external link)

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,086 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 15, 2016 21:23 |  #2264

Colorblinded wrote in post #18129522 (external link)
I think saying it's irrelevant when it comes to making a good image is a misleading or even false statement. People always say the camera or lens doesn't matter, but it absolutely does. It ultimately depends on what you want to do, however. For some things you need specific tools, and certain tools or capabilities unlock certain possibilities.

A sensor with broader dynamic range, or higher ISO, or lower high ISO noise, or better color quality all can lead to more creative opportunities.

Compared to the other sensors on the market currently, it seems like the 5D4 on balance is a very well rounded sensor. It's very good, near the best at some things, and quite close at others. It no longer suffers the drawbacks that limited the 5D3 in certain types of circumstances.

As the article says, photography existed before the 5D Mark IV, and indeed, before all of these newfangled digital cameras. Did you ever try shooting a color image in very dark conditions with high ISO film? ISO 1600 color film was specialty material, and the results were... not great.

I see no benefit in for those who strobe. Natural light outdoor peeps... sure... people who control their light. eh... no much improvement more than likely. I bet anything they want better AF and the added other features.

My Gear Archive

flashpoint99
411 posts
Joined Dec 2012
Post edited over 3 years ago by flashpoint99. (2 edits in all)

Sep 15, 2016 21:31 |  #2265

Cfast cards are superior and just like CF cards and SD cards they will come down in price. The issue comes into play with the 21 raw picture buffer. With a cfast card that buffer would have been eliminated. Sure would have been nice to have that option. The 5d mark 4 is at a premium price and falls short in areas that you'd think would have been addressed for a camera in the $3500 range. I am a Canon guy and have too much invested in glass to switch now. However personally I am a bit disappointed in a few things. After I rent it that opinion may change. If not I'll stick with what I have it still earns me money

sponsored links

814,839 views & 2,668 likes for this thread
Canon 5D Mark IV -- Time to Discuss!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.