Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 Aug 2016 (Wednesday) 21:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 5D Mark IV -- Time to Discuss!

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,665 posts
Gallery: 160 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 2 years ago by CyberDyneSystems. (2 edits in all)

Sep 17, 2016 14:47 |  #2431

planet5D wrote in post #18129917 (external link)
I'm all happy about the new settings for back button AF... made a video about it

having 12x different settings for BBF is astounding and life changing :)

http://blog.planet5d.c​om …eature-that-blew-me-away/ (external link)

If you leave AF set to the shutter release, how does that NOT mess up any focusing you are doing, or have done with one of your back focus buttons? Doesn't leaving AF on the shutter release end up negating any fine tuning you do with the other buttons by asking the camera to then start focusing again?

P.S., I notice that in your video you expressed the desire for this feature in all Canon cameras. I can;t offer you that,. but I can say that what the 5D4 has is an evolution of a set up that goes back at least to the 1D2, perhaps back to 1D, and that is the ability to have two different BBAF buttons assigned to behave differently when you chose to press each of them. For example, her is how to set up two different BBAF AF set ups on the 1D4;

1D4 "Hail Mary" set up: https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=17951424

The 5D4 is definitely taking this all many steps further. Just pointing out that it didn't come out of no where but has been an evolving improving customization on Canon DSLR since 2003 at least, and that maybe some of your other bodies have features that could help achieve some of the abilities of the 5D4.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

sponsored links
71sbeetle
Goldmember
3,463 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Sep 17, 2016 14:47 |  #2432

FEChariot wrote in post #18131098 (external link)
at night?

It was after sunset getting dark but no lights on that field, I did take some at night with lights but it was 3200 iso iirc, didn't have a chance to edit them yet though

gareymartin.com (external link)
flickr (external link)
gear list | CPS.
eBay (external link) | POTN
VWVortex (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,665 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Sep 17, 2016 14:58 |  #2433

Talley wrote in post #18130557 (external link)
I realized today that...

...I want the ability to have drive mode assigned to the back button. ....

Sadly, this is not an option even with the more complicated work around required to get the set up I have been using for the "Hail Mary" button;
https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=17951424

As these set up options have come a long way since 1D4, I wonder that this is still not possible to achieve? Particularly with the faster FPS camera like 1D and 7D,. it should be an option.

Anyone know if there is something we are missing? Is it hiding somewhere in the menus?

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,665 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Sep 17, 2016 15:01 |  #2434

jonneymendoza wrote in post #18130723 (external link)
Ok heads up!

If you disable AF lock on the shutter button, this effects live view touch focus!!

Sorry i did not see your question before, but this was one of the fist lessons I discovered as well. Sort of makes sense. Suddenly having one button access to switching from shutter to BBF is important.

So save one of your C1-3 settings for use with shutter button AF!

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,665 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Sep 17, 2016 15:05 |  #2435

Nethawked wrote in post #18130816 (external link)
I don't think my cameras have ever come out of high speed drive mode unless I want a delayed timer. If you want to switch out to single shot, press the shutter once. :)

Works great this way for me up to 6/7FPS.
Higher FPS than that and I am hard pressed to keep it down to one sot ;)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,665 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Sep 17, 2016 15:10 |  #2436

FEChariot wrote in post #18130878 (external link)
I see no point of ever using single shot. ....

For me, on the old 1D or 7D2 with 8.5-10-12-14 fps as an option, it was not about wanting it to go from single shot as much as from a slower FPS setting.

I tend to set my FPS @ 6 and shoot that way the bulk of the time, then leave max FPS setting at the high setting. I'd like to go from that 6FPS to the 10 FPS by changing my BBF button, to get instant access to full 10FPS.

Either way, I am not interested in always being set to MAX FPS on any camera I have ever owned since 2005. But would like instant one button access to max FPS while shooting for when the situation changes.
ie: for my "Hail Mary" set up.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,080 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 17, 2016 15:38 |  #2437

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18131125 (external link)
For me, on the old 1D or 7D2 with 8.5-10-12-14 fps as an option, it was not about wanting it to go from single shot as much as from a slower FPS setting.

I tend to set my FPS @ 6 and shoot that way the bulk of the time, then leave max FPS setting at the high setting. I'd like to go from that 6FPS to the 10 FPS by changing my BBF button, to get instant access to full 10FPS.

Either way, I am not interested in always being set to MAX FPS on any camera I have ever owned since 2005. But would like instant one button access to max FPS while shooting for when the situation changes.
ie: for my "Hail Mary" set up.

This would be great too. Unfortunately the 5D4 did not get the 1D or 7D2 feature of adjusting the max FPS down to whatever you choose.

The 7D2 truly is a mini 1d camera. and an amazing body for a common used price of 1k.

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,080 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 17, 2016 15:39 |  #2438

71sbeetle wrote in post #18131104 (external link)
It was after sunset getting dark but no lights on that field, I did take some at night with lights but it was 3200 iso iirc, didn't have a chance to edit them yet though

Welcome to my side of the country.

I have TWO night games setup for Wednesday and Thursday this week. I'm without a doubt going to be at ISO 6500-25,600. I'll post results then.

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,665 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Sep 17, 2016 15:41 |  #2439

Talley wrote in post #18131167 (external link)
This would be great too. Unfortunately the 5D4 did not get the 1D or 7D2 feature of adjusting the max FPS down to whatever you choose....

Really? Wow, had not noticed that yet.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

FTb
544 posts
Gallery: 95 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Sep 17, 2016 16:19 |  #2440

Does the 5DIV illuminate the selected focus point in red? My 6D does it and it's very helpful.

My flickr (external link)
Favorite lenses: Canon 16-35 f/4 L IS, 50/1.2L, 85/1.2L II, 135/2L, 70-200L IS II, TS-E 17mm f/4L

tpatana
463 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Sep 17, 2016 16:28 |  #2441

One thing I love with the custom controls is that I have the exp.comp. on the new thumb button, and it works easy in M-mode too. On 1DX I need to go Av/Tv to set exp.comp, and then back to M.

Have: Many cameras with some Ls
Kendo.Photography (external link) / Kendo@Facebook (external link) / TeroPhotography.com (external link) / Tero@Facebook (external link) / CF card Speedtest on my gear (external link)

sploo
premature adulation
2,409 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 17, 2016 16:49 |  #2442

I'm not usually prone to hyperbole (not on POTN at least), so... disclaimers and context before I come over all hyperbole fanboy...

As previously mentioned, my left side bank of cross type points are significantly front focusing. AF is consistent - but obviously I can't MFA correct just one set of points so I assume some part of the optical path to the AF sensor isn't parallel to the image sensor (it's going for a fix next week).

I got some time for what I'd consider the camera's first "proper" use today - namely getting some shots of my toddler running around, on a swing, and a slide. I've done exactly the same "shoot" using my 5D3 + 24-70II so this was a pretty good comparative test.

Checking my 5D3 shots, the swing shoot (positioned right in front - so a pretty hard test of subject moving back and forth, fairly close, at around 35mm focal length) was about 2 stops brighter (i.e. today's conditions had 2 stops more ambient light).

For the slide (much later in the day) we were actually nearer 3 stops lower ambient vs the 5D3 shoot - though still reasonable light (f/4, 1/1000, ISO 800).

I mention the above because obviously the AF performance will be highly dependant on available light (not the aperture, shutter speed and ISO chosen for the actual exposure).

I'd also been shooting some general "running around" shots at f/3.5, rather than my usual f/4-f/8. The previous slide shots were at f/5.6, this time at f/4. I mention that as shallower DOF will be less forgiving of misfocused shots.

Finally, I know my technique needs work when shooting things that move (long story).

So...

<HYPERBOLEFANBOY>
Holey shizzle. This thing is incredible!

On paper there doesn't really seem to be much difference vs the 5D3, but in actual use the difference in keeper rate is incredible. I have never - under any circumstances or lighting conditions - got anything near the hit rate that I've seen from this camera today.

It's the one thing that bugged me before - I'd get a burst of shots, with quite a few usable, but you could guarantee that the ones with the "perfect" expression would be the percentage where focus was missed. The rate of unusable frames here is so low I've come away with multiple good images per "scene".

I'd note that I'm also pretty picky about what I consider a hit - DPReview's 5D4 review has a number of shots that (as far as I read the writeup anyway) are claimed to be good - but are way below what I'd call sharp. I probably am being a pixel peeper TBH.

Perhaps my sucky technique means that a more skilled shooter would see a smaller improvement (because they'd be getting a higher hit rate with the 5D3), but, regardless, this body has way surpassed my expectations when it comes to AF.

I also got chance to snap a couple of landscape/architecture shots in the area, and there are a couple that are clearly high DR. I haven't edited them yet, but knowing that I won't see the shadows falling into a mess is a huge bonus. Ironically it (low ISO DR) was my main "want" for the 5D4; but the subtle (but clear) high ISO improvement and stunning AF really just make it complete.

It's almost enough to make me forgive the abomination they've made of the BG-E20 grip ;-)a
</HYPERBOLEFANBOY>

Right... back to levelheaded analysis and data...

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,665 posts
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 2 years ago by CyberDyneSystems.

Sep 17, 2016 16:59 |  #2443

I've not given it a good moving subject work out, but this sounds promising!
The 7D2 is clearly better than the 5D3 in this regard, and 5D3 is no slouch.

With the 5D4's 1Dx2 AF system, I am looking forward to posting some Hyperbolic fanboy posts soon too!

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

flashpoint99
411 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 17, 2016 17:17 |  #2444

Looking forward to seeing the low light high ISO shots. This will be a huge factor on whether or not I upgrade......One other thing I've seen is there may be a small issue with white balance and exposure comp doing their own thing once in awhile . It may have been an issue with that particular single camera but has anyone of you new owners had any issue with white balance or exp comp?

sploo
premature adulation
2,409 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 17, 2016 17:39 |  #2445

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18131227 (external link)
I've not given it a good moving subject work out, but this sounds promising!
The 7D2 is clearly better than the 5D3 in this regard, and 5D3 is no slouch.

With the 5D4's 1Dx2 AF system, I am looking forward to posting some Hyperbolic fanboy posts soon too!

At least for a moving small person I'm comfortable satisfied that it's a real and significant improvement over the 5D3. I did get a few shots some days ago (and saw similar results), but didn't want to do any, errr, premature adulation ;-)a

BTW Has anyone else noticed that when reviewing images (and hitting INFO until you get the histogram) you can scroll down with the joystick and get a whole load of metadata that would normally only be available in post? Maybe that's not new in the 5D4, but it's something I'm pretty sure the 5D3 doesn't do.

flashpoint99 wrote in post #18131234 (external link)
Looking forward to seeing the low light high ISO shots. This will be a huge factor on whether or not I upgrade......One other thing I've seen is there may be a small issue with white balance and exposure comp doing their own thing once in awhile . It may have been an issue with that particular single camera but has anyone of you new owners had any issue with white balance or exp comp?

I posted a few samples earlier in the thread - mostly of a bunch of stuffed animals (and you can even download the files).

I suspect white balance can make mistakes on any camera, but as I always use the raws from a DSLR the white balance is just metadata (i.e. it doesn't matter if it's wrong).

Exposure compensation is a user setting, so I'm not sure what you mean for that one?

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

sponsored links

773,709 views & 2,663 likes for this thread
Canon 5D Mark IV -- Time to Discuss!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.