Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 Aug 2016 (Wednesday) 21:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 5D Mark IV -- Time to Discuss!

LJ3Jim
Goldmember
1,077 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Sep 17, 2016 17:39 |  #2446

flashpoint99 wrote in post #18131234 (external link)
Looking forward to seeing the low light high ISO shots. This will be a huge factor on whether or not I upgrade......One other thing I've seen is there may be a small issue with white balance and exposure comp doing their own thing once in awhile . It may have been an issue with that particular single camera but has anyone of you new owners had any issue with white balance or exp comp?

I just posted this in the "photo" thread, but I'll repost it here because it was in very low light and it's at ISO 25600. It's an in-camera jpg without any post-processing except for cropping. I'm amazed at the quality of the image.

IMAGE: http://www.lj3.com/5d4/scooter_25k.jpg

Image editing ok; C&C always welcome.

sponsored links
gabebalazs
Bird Whisperer
7,640 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 17, 2016 17:48 |  #2447

sploo wrote in post #18131248 (external link)
At least for a moving small person I'm comfortable satisfied that it's a real and significant improvement over the 5D3. I did get a few shots some days ago (and saw similar results), but didn't want to do any, errr, premature adulation ;-)a

BTW Has anyone else noticed that when reviewing images (and hitting INFO until you get the histogram) you can scroll down with the joystick and get a whole load of metadata that would normally only be available in post? Maybe that's not new in the 5D4, but it's something I'm pretty sure the 5D3 doesn't do.

Yes, that's a feature I also love on my 80D. As well as the increased flexibility of jpeg sharpness adjustment options. I mostly shoot RAW but for everyday family stuff I often do jpegs.

SONY A7RIII | SONY A7III | SONY RX10 IV | SONY RX100 | 24-70 2.8 GM | 70-200 2.8 GM | 16-35 F/4 | PZ 18-105 F/4 | FE 85 1.8 | FE 28-70 | SIGMA 35 1.4 ART | SIGMA 150-600 C | ROKINON 14 2.8
Gabe Balazs Photo (external link)
Nature Shots Portfolio (external link)

sploo
premature adulation
2,411 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 17, 2016 17:51 |  #2448

gabebalazs wrote in post #18131258 (external link)
Yes, that's a feature I also love on my 80D. As well as the increased flexibility of jpeg sharpness adjustment options. I mostly shoot RAW but for everyday family stuff I often do jpegs.

Ah. The wife has the 80D, and despite a bit of low ISO DR sensor testing vs the 5D3, and playing with the DPAF in video (all very impressive), for some reason I can't get near it that often ;)

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,788 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 17, 2016 18:42 |  #2449

camaz55 wrote in post #18130942 (external link)
I had the same issue - I was using BBF and had turned off the AF on half press of the shutter. This also turns off tap and focus in Live View

i think this is not a good feature of this camera to disable tap to focus on live view

Canon 5dmkIII | Canon 85L 1.2 | Sigma 35mm ART 1.4|Canon 16-35mm L 2.8 |Canon 24-70mm L f2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F2.8L MK2 | Canon 430EX MK2 Flickr (external link)

jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,788 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 17, 2016 18:44 |  #2450

Scrumhalf wrote in post #18130997 (external link)
With the arrival of the Mark IV, does it make the allure of the A7sII disappear? The A7sII plus metabones adapter weighs 26oz. The 5D4 weighs 28oz . That's a candy bar's worth of weight difference. Seems negligible. And if the IQ gap is largely closed, I would imagine the motivation to consider the Sony is not going to be there. Not trying to start a brand war, as the Sony is a fine camera, just curious.

You can shoot native sony lenses. plenty from 14mm to 200mm

Canon 5dmkIII | Canon 85L 1.2 | Sigma 35mm ART 1.4|Canon 16-35mm L 2.8 |Canon 24-70mm L f2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F2.8L MK2 | Canon 430EX MK2 Flickr (external link)

George ­ Zip
My neighbours are looking at me a bit strangely
1,394 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Aug 2015
Post edited over 3 years ago by George Zip.

Sep 17, 2016 19:10 |  #2451

Question to the Group.

For those of you who have had the 5DIV for a week or whatever it is now.... Can you tell me what you think I can see that will be better than my 7DII and 5DII. I don't mean the obvious stuff like reach, DOF, ISO etc. Those type of comparisons are easy to make a judgement on.

For example I read on DPR somewhere ( I can not find the post again annoyingly) one wedding photographer has shot a few weddings already, and he made a really interesting comment. And that was he was finding the metering for flash photography HEAPS better and is making a huge huge difference to what he does. He felt this was a complete game changer for him.

Are there intangibles that are difficult to quantify that you are liking.

Maybe things like you are getting more out of your lenses.

Or maybe there are things that are pissing you off that older models did better??

Would be interested in what your findings are.

chicken12
116 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 17, 2016 19:16 |  #2452

George Zip wrote in post #18131302 (external link)
Question to the Group.

For those of you who have had the 5DIV for a week or whatever it is now.... Can you tell me what you think I can see that will be better than my 7DII and 5DII. I don't mean the obvious stuff like reach, DOF, ISO etc. Those type of comparisons are easy to make a judgement on.

I am coming from a 5D3 and have only had time with it the last few days in Disneyland. So far I am feeling it is a very worth while upgrade. Focusing is super sharp, color seem to pop even more and low light capabilities are amazing.

PJJ205
339 posts
Joined Aug 2015

Sep 17, 2016 19:43 as a reply to  @ chicken12's post |  #2453

Same as above. I still have my 7DII but sold my 5DIII earlier this week. Definitely can tell the difference between my 5DIV and 5DIII, and I'm quite glad that I took the risk and somewhat blindly upgraded. The negative reviews I keep reading make me laugh... almost like people feel threatened by the 5DIV so they need to bash it however they can.

flashpoint99
411 posts
Joined Dec 2012
Post edited over 3 years ago by flashpoint99.

Sep 17, 2016 19:46 as a reply to  @ post 18131248 |  #2454

Sploo....thanks for the info on your pics Ill check them out...In the rewiew I saw the reviewer who is a professional photographer set exp.comp. for -1 stop. When he took a series of shots a number of them were -5 stops even though he had the camera set at -1. He was baffled at what might have happened and couldnt explain it. When shooting a dance comp I'm dealing with thousand shots. If WB were to get out of wack that would be a lot of post work to correct. Wouldnt have given it much thought but this was the second time I saw something about WB being off in a few so was wondering of any one shooting with the mark 4 had experienced it.

Chet
my rates fluctuate
43,215 posts
Gallery: 130 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 17, 2016 20:03 |  #2455

Some of you kids need to share your high iso shots in the ISO 3200 thread. Currently a fella claiming anything above iso 800ish is crap for anything larger then a web image.

https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=18131281

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

EzDingo
39 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Sep 17, 2016 20:09 |  #2456

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18131103 (external link)
If you leave AF set to the shutter release, how does that NOT mess up any focusing you are doing, or have done with one of your back focus buttons? Doesn't leaving AF on the shutter release end up negating any fine tuning you do with the other buttons by asking the camera to then start focusing again?

No it doesn't. BBF (while holding the BB's down) the half press of the main shutter is totally ignored by the camera (it simply just trips the shutter only then). In other words whatever button is first pressed and held active has control of that function (focus / meter).

SereneSpeed
Goldmember
1,008 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Sep 17, 2016 20:21 |  #2457

The camera is so good. DPP is so bad.

:(

Really impressed so far. AI Servo tracked my kid on a Merry-go-round at f1.4 - never would have happened with my mkIII.

I'm a Canon guy. Always have been, so I don't care to compare with other brands. But, for me and the way I use my camera, the upgrades over the mkIII are amazing.

The AF was great on the mkIII, but the mkIV just seems to have evolved and matured to be an AF Boss. I don't have unrealistic expectations, but in 24 hours of ownership the AF system has blown me away a handful of times. It is sure footed and faster (for what I do and the way I do it).

The ability to customize the menu is so freeing and I actually love the touchscreen (which I was sure I would hate).

I am more impressed than I expected.

I have no idea how to compare my mkIII files with my mkIV, without the luxury of Lightroom/Camera Raw (I did not realize how dependant I'd become...) but in DPP, I have not been able to create banding. For me that is huge. I took a very dark shadowed area (that still had detail) and pushed shadows up by "5" and then adjusted "Brightness adjustment" up three and still saw no banding. So that makes me very excited to see these files in a RAW conversion program I am comfortable with.

But DPP. Come on... Everything is so different. Color rendering, sharpening, the files seem so different from what I'm used to, it's crazy. I've been able to claw back a bit of comfort on import, but this is beyond frustrating. I want to use this camera for work, but I don't think I will. I don't feel like I'm going to be able to really get a feel for the files until Adobe, or Capture One release their support. Too bad.

Does anyone know how long it normally takes for Adobe to support new cameras?

https://www.danbcreati​ve.com (external link) - Commercial Work
http://unabashedbeauty​.com (external link) - Boudoir/NSFW

smythie
I wasn't even trying
3,718 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 17, 2016 20:27 |  #2458

EzDingo wrote in post #18131357 (external link)
No it doesn't. BBF (while holding the BB's down) the half press of the main shutter is totally ignored by the camera (it simply just trips the shutter only then). In other words whatever button is first pressed and held active has control of that function (focus / meter).

Your statement is true while you have the AF-ON or * button (presuming you have that button set for AF functions) pressed. If you however have gotten focus then released the rear AF buttons, does the shutter not then restart focus acquisition?

Gear List

LJ3Jim
Goldmember
1,077 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Sep 17, 2016 21:06 |  #2459

George Zip wrote in post #18131302 (external link)
Question to the Group.

For example I read on DPR somewhere ( I can not find the post again annoyingly) one wedding photographer has shot a few weddings already, and he made a really interesting comment. And that was he was finding the metering for flash photography HEAPS better and is making a huge huge difference to what he does. He felt this was a complete game changer for him.

Are there intangibles that are difficult to quantify that you are liking.

Maybe things like you are getting more out of your lenses.

Or maybe there are things that are pissing you off that older models did better??

Would be interested in what your findings are.

I bought a 7D2 the day it was released. It was better in every way than my previous 70D. However, over time, I found the 7D2 to be a little finicky. Occasionally something like focus, exposure, or flash would just mess up.

A couple of months ago, I decided to move to full frame. I've had the privilege of acquiring both a 1DX2 and a 5D4 (I have an amazing wife!). The best compliment I can give to both of these cameras is that they "just work." They do what I ask them to do, and they do it reliably every time. Yes, the IQ is better, but that's a given (they are Canon's latest offerings). But, compared to the 7D2, I'm incredibly pleased at how well they do what's requested of them. I know that's very subjective, but it's a great source of pleasure for me. If the 7D2 had worked as well, I doubt I would have upgraded. I don't have a comparison with the 5D2 or 5D3; I didn't have either one of those.

What I'm trying to say here is extremely subjective. I don't know if I've communicated things properly. But there's something very special about the 1DX2 and 5D4. I'm honored to have them both.

Regards, Jim

Image editing ok; C&C always welcome.

PJJ205
339 posts
Joined Aug 2015

Sep 17, 2016 21:54 |  #2460

I've been checking to see if any third party battery grips have been put out yet, but have had no luck. Anyone happen to know how long it took with previous Canon Models before they saw third party grips on the market? I'm not too keen on paying $350.00 for the OEM grip, but I have a job out of state in a few weeks so I'm hoping they hit before then.

sponsored links

813,565 views & 2,668 likes for this thread
Canon 5D Mark IV -- Time to Discuss!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.