Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 18 Sep 2016 (Sunday) 13:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5DsR Banding Issue with Strobes

Braks ­ Buddy
36 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 18, 2016 13:39 |  #1

I am using a Canon 5DsR in conjunction with studio flashes and an automated turntable by Ortery to take 360 degree photos of objects. I know that if you have your shutter speed set too high you will get a black bar at the bottom of the image due to the shutter. We shoot hundreds of images, usually in sets of 36 images per rotation. Once in about every 2-300 shots, I get the banding issue. It is VERY rare, but when it happens (because of the way the software works) I have to start that rotation again. Unlike the typical "you have the shutter speed set too high" issue, this seems to be a random hardware failure issue. I am not sure if it the camera, the wireless, the strobes, or the software, but would like to get your thoughts since it is so inconsistent. Here are two examples of it happening. Thanks in advance for your help.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 18, 2016 13:49 |  #2

That looks like you are getting a shadow from the shutter, even though shooting at a slow enough speed to synch. Assuming that the shutter isn't failing / sticking then the issue is probably down to the strobes firing slightly late. This could be a simple case of delay in the signal, as you are using wireless triggers or, if you are firing them fairly rapidly as you shoot the sequence, possibly getting an occasional delay if they are running out of charge in the capacitor.

I suspect it is possibly a trigger delay issue, if you can drop the shutter speed to 1/125 that should solve the issue as the slight extra pause before the second curtain moves will give the flash that extra moment to fire.

Braks ­ Buddy
THREAD ­ STARTER
36 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 18, 2016 18:49 as a reply to  @ sandpiper's post |  #3

Thanks for the response! I'll give it a try and see what is happening. With the turntable setup we do shoot rapidly and often and you may be right!

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,091 posts
Gallery: 1548 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Sep 19, 2016 16:02 |  #4

Heya,

I also wonder if it may have something to do with the camera's buffer, since you are taking 36 images per rotation, at 50MP, and how long it takes for the 5DSR to write the images sequentially, and clear the buffer, allowing you to take another photo (since it will not allow you to do that if the buffer is full). Might have nothing to do with it, was just a thought, in terms of something causing a delay. I'm not sure what triggers your lights/camera in this software/setup, so this may be irrelevant. But it does look like an out of sync thing for sure. Since it's only happening once in a while, rarely, makes it more interesting. Makes me also wonder if there's a potential shutter problem. Definitely not in sync on those photos, not sure how a light trigger system could potentially be out of sync enough to show this problem at that shutter speed....

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Colorblinded
Goldmember
2,646 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2007
Post edited over 2 years ago by Colorblinded. (2 edits in all)

Sep 19, 2016 16:11 |  #5

Looks most likely to me to be a syncing issue. If you're using 3rd party wireless triggers of some sort, (not sure which) that's probably the issue.

Some brands seem to work right up to the sync speed, but if you run in to issues like this dropping your shutter speed 1/3 of a stop usually solves the issue and ensures the duration of the flash occurs while the entire focal plane is exposed.

Second curtain sync could probably cause additional funkyness if your strobes have a long duration although I don't know how often that's of practical concern, and there's no reason to be using 2nd curtain sync here.

http://www.colorblinde​dphoto.com (external link)
http://www.thecolorbli​ndphotographer.com (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,643 views & 0 likes for this thread
5DsR Banding Issue with Strobes
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.