Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
Thread started 25 Jul 2016 (Monday) 13:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Hiking/backpacking camera bags?

Aressem
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,364 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 07, 2016 12:47 |  #31

Thanks so much to all of you with so many amazing suggestions and reviews. POTN, you guys rock!

Ryan Mackay WEBSITE (external link) | FACEBOOK (external link) | GEAR LIST | Buy & Sell Feedback: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

sponsored links
AnnieMacD
Oops, me again
3,282 posts
Gallery: 550 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Aug 2012

Sep 07, 2016 14:21 |  #32

Like you guys, I have tried different combinations of hiking pack with inserts and photo bags with stuffing in jacket, food, water etc. I agree that the f-stop is not suited to a big day in the hills with lots of ascent. However, I have found my ideal bag - the Manfrotto Off-Road Hiker 30L. It's great for day trips but wouldn't be big enough for multi-day hikes. It's the most comfortable bag I've got and I notice I don't get as tired with it. It holds everything I need for a long day out in the hills!

flickr (external link)

Sailor ­ Larry
192 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Joined Nov 2014

Sep 07, 2016 20:23 |  #33

It's been an interesting thread to follow. I've started looking for a similar solution for my own use which will include swapping out different kits when going from DSLR to MF film (RB67) and this has been very informative.
Thanks.

LBinAZ
69 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 09, 2016 23:59 |  #34

I've been following this thread so I'll throw in now. I also have gone with a Gregory backpack and insert solution. I have used a Gregory Z65 (for 65 liter) for my standard backpacking trips for a few years. It's a great pack that I have used to haul stuff for multiple day trips. I also haul my camera stuff long distances at times. When I decided to look at fStop bags for this type of use also checked into a Gregory solution. I ended up with a Gregory Z40 (40 liters) that I originally used with an fStop Medium Pro ICU (NLA). Later I switched switched to a Large Pro ICU. It's a tight fit but it certainly works. I can't compare it to the Targhee posted in this thread, but it's front opening. I'd prefer back opening but I live with it. I can load the ICU, throw in water, a jacket, extra crap for what I'm doing that day, and haul it all day long. The beauty of a good backpacking design is it will let you haul weight without feeling every pound.

The 'modular system' also helps when I travel. The ICU fits perfectly into a small rolling carry on bag I have, and the Z40 flattens & goes into my checked bag. At my destination I just put it all back together. Never have to worry about if I'm going to get challenged on the Z40 as a carry on.

One downside is that Gregory has a newer version of the Z40 than when I bought mine. Small changes in a bag design can have big effects on things like access and usability. I was able to do a hands on with mine at REI, so I would always suggest that or dealing with a seller with a good return policy.

But bottom line for me is backpacks for photo bags are a good solution when worked out.

Larry

sawsedge
773 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 10, 2016 10:05 |  #35

I've been looking at all the suggestions in this thread and I find the bags very interesting.

One question on the Targhee... what do you guys use to carry water since I don't see side pockets (at least in the model I found)? I assume you use a hydration system.

What other rear-opening hiking backpacks fit the f-stop ICUs?

- John

Bcaps
I was a little buzzed when I took this
803 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Best ofs: 16
Joined Jun 2003
Post edited over 2 years ago by Bcaps. (5 edits in all)

Sep 13, 2016 20:13 |  #36

As much as I like my F-Stop Tilopa, it just doesn't come close to the comfort that a "real" backcountry backpack offers when carrying my gear.

I'm in the Columbia River Gorge today and I did a quick 2 mile hike with my usual camera gear in my F-Stop. Last week I did a 3 day backpacking trip in the Sierra and had the same photography gear but it was in my 100L MountainSmith Apex bag (overkill for 3 days but my wife had my smaller backpack) and even though my pack weight on the Sierra trip was 38 pounds and I was hiking over rougher terrain for much longer distances at elevation, it was much more comfortable than my ~20 pound F-stop bag on well graded trails here in the Gorge.

I've done many overnight hikes with my gear in an F-stop ICU placed in a backpack and the comfort level is far greater than the many day hikes I've done using my F-Stop backpack. The F-stop is a great bag with many nifty features that I love (particularly being able to take it as carry-on for most flights), but if I am doing more than a few miles on trail or any off-trail hiking, I will use one of my "real" backpacks and throw the ICU inside of it.

- Dave | flickr (external link)
Nikon D810
14-24mm f/2.8 | 16-35mm F/4 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/4 | Sigma 150-600mm

LBinAZ
69 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 18, 2016 17:34 |  #37

sawsedge wrote in post #18123270 (external link)
What other rear-opening hiking backpacks fit the f-stop ICUs?

I'm going to throw an opinion out that there's not many. Most backpack designs focus on the 'suspension system' - belt, straps and usually something to stiffen the pack frame to distribute weight. This type of design usually precludes rear opening. My Gregory Z packs have curved rods and mesh panels for stiffness and airflow where the rear opening would have to be. I think the Targhee is a rare outlier from the typical backpack design.

I researched packs online. Most give internal dimensions. I actually cut a shoebox down to the fStop ICU dimensions & took it to REI once I had a few candidates picked out. I know it sounds hokey but it allowed me to verify fit and access before investing time & money on purchases.

jimmy_racoon
479 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Nov 2009

Sep 18, 2016 21:36 |  #38

Lowepro Slingshot 300AW
Fits: Canon 5DMkII(gripped)w/ 70-200 f/4L IS mounted, 17-40 f/4L, 50mm 1.8, Speedlight 430 EXII, 2 battery chargers, multiple filters in main section alone!

Canon 5D2 w/ BG-E6 | Canon 7D Mark 1 | Canon EF 17-40 f/4L | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon EF 70-200 f/4L IS USM | Canon EF 400 f/5.6L | Manfrotto 055XPROB w/ 488RC2 Ballhead | Canon Speedlight 430EX II
Flickr (external link) <--Comments/Favorites welcomed

J-Blake
Great Googley Moogley!
2,071 posts
Gallery: 113 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 19, 2016 19:12 |  #39

I too am looking for the "miracle backpack" to carry my photo gear. I've used both Clik Elite's Voyager 35 and more recently Contrejour 40, but the Contrejour ripped and so now I'm looking for another solution. I was close to pulling the trigger on a Fstop Tilopa, but was turned off by the 2 month turnaround, so I'm still in the research mode. Fortunately, I stumbled on this page, which agrees with other articles I've read from backpacking photographers.

What I've researched so far agrees with the consensus of what everyone's saying about buying a backpack first and retrofitting it for photography. My Contrejour is usually about 30 - 35 lbs so load carrying comfort is of top importance. Shortly behind that is access to gear since I'm constantly changing location and lenses, grabbing accessories, etc. Back panel access seems to be an essential requirement and I'm thinking to find a pack where I can fit in an Fstop ICU and mimic the Fstop in function, but with great improvement for load capacity/comfort.

There've been some good suggestions on this thread so far, but I don't see utopia just yet. Perhaps a trip to my local REI is in order at least for some backpack education....

Jon
So much to learn, so little time.
A few worthy shots (external link)

sawsedge
773 posts
Joined Dec 2011
Post edited over 2 years ago by sawsedge.

Sep 21, 2016 18:54 |  #40

Bcaps wrote in post #18127222 (external link)
As much as I like my F-Stop Tilopa, it just doesn't come close to the comfort that a "real" backcountry backpack offers when carrying my gear.

I'm in the Columbia River Gorge today and I did a quick 2 mile hike with my usual camera gear in my F-Stop. Last week I did a 3 day backpacking trip in the Sierra and had the same photography gear but it was in my 100L MountainSmith Apex bag (overkill for 3 days but my wife had my smaller backpack) and even though my pack weight on the Sierra trip was 38 pounds and I was hiking over rougher terrain for much longer distances at elevation, it was much more comfortable than my ~20 pound F-stop bag on well graded trails here in the Gorge.

I've done many overnight hikes with my gear in an F-stop ICU placed in a backpack and the comfort level is far greater than the many day hikes I've done using my F-Stop backpack. The F-stop is a great bag with many nifty features that I love (particularly being able to take it as carry-on for most flights), but if I am doing more than a few miles on trail or any off-trail hiking, I will use one of my "real" backpacks and throw the ICU inside of it.

I'm curious if this is the old Tilopa design, or the new?

- John

Ursyn
Goldmember
1,426 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 26, 2016 13:36 |  #41

I know it's too late, but maybe it will be useful for someone else.

Recently I made my own research and I found Naneu rucksacks. Especially two models paid my attention
http://naneubags.com …e-K5v2-Photo-Backpack-80L (external link)
http://naneubags.com …lander-Photo-Backpack-50L (external link)
Both of them have been designed for photographers and have easy access to photo compartment. I saw very positive reviews on YT.

What prevent me most from buying one of the rucksacks is that before I buy it I would like to go to a shop and have a look at it.

Adrian | flickr (external link) & Instagram (external link)

Bcaps
I was a little buzzed when I took this
803 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Best ofs: 16
Joined Jun 2003

Oct 26, 2016 20:00 |  #42

sawsedge wrote in post #18135992 (external link)
I'm curious if this is the old Tilopa design, or the new?

I have the old design.

Ursyn wrote in post #18167600 (external link)
I know it's too late, but maybe it will be useful for someone else.

Recently I made my own research and I found Naneu rucksacks. Especially two models paid my attention
http://naneubags.com …e-K5v2-Photo-Backpack-80L (external link)
http://naneubags.com …lander-Photo-Backpack-50L (external link)
Both of them have been designed for photographers and have easy access to photo compartment. I saw very positive reviews on YT.

What prevent me most from buying one of the rucksacks is that before I buy it I would like to go to a shop and have a look at it.

Interesting design. I think I would still prefer the flexibility of using a dedicated camping backpack with an ICU as that gives me the option of choosing both the size of the ICU (small for quicker trips or large for longer trips or more varied types of photography) as well as the backpack itself, smaller or larger depending on the length of the trip. The ICUs from Fstop look to be more customizable as well compared to the ones 5Kv2's. I know that the last trip I went on that 80L K5v2 pack would not have been able to fit everything I needed.

- Dave | flickr (external link)
Nikon D810
14-24mm f/2.8 | 16-35mm F/4 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/4 | Sigma 150-600mm

sawsedge
773 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Nov 06, 2016 07:42 |  #43

Just following up on this. I went to REI with my small pro f-stop ICU and looked for snowpacks (most have rear access) that would fit.

I tried the Osprey Kamber 32 and 42 (Kamber is the updated/renamed Kode). The ICU pushed too far into the front pocket of the 32 and blocked access. The 42 kind of worked but, once I loaded it with 20 lbs, I found the 42 was very uncomfortable for me, even after the REI expert fit the pack to me.

I like the Deuter freerider pro 30 design, but it was much too shallow for the pro ICU and would need a different insert (like trekpak). I want to go back and load up the Deuter with weight and check the comfort.

After rechecking my adjustments at home, and taking a hike the other day with it, my Loka remains the most comfortable for me so far. So it really just comes down to what fits each of us individually.

- John

NWPhil
440 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Apr 2010
Post edited over 2 years ago by NWPhil.

Nov 08, 2016 13:51 |  #44

sawsedge wrote in post #18177202 (external link)
Just following up on this. I went to REI with my small pro f-stop ICU and looked for snowpacks (most have rear access) that would fit.

I tried the Osprey Kamber 32 and 42 (Kamber is the updated/renamed Kode). The ICU pushed too far into the front pocket of the 32 and blocked access. The 42 kind of worked but, once I loaded it with 20 lbs, I found the 42 was very uncomfortable for me, even after the REI expert fit the pack to me.

I like the Deuter freerider pro 30 design, but it was much too shallow for the pro ICU and would need a different insert (like trekpak). I want to go back and load up the Deuter with weight and check the comfort.

After rechecking my adjustments at home, and taking a hike the other day with it, my Loka remains the most comfortable for me so far. So it really just comes down to what fits each of us individually.

I guess they did not have the Targhee 45?
far from perfect, but for me rear access IS the most adequate solution while hiking, as it will keep the straps clean. Actually, almost like the lowepro, you can swing it to the front an reach for the zipper and grab a lens without having to put it down - requires a bit of practice to say the least.
There are no dedicated straps for a tripod, but I solved that issue with ammo grab bags - they are set with straps for mole attaching , so they can go on the side and or the waist belt.
Like most camera bags, F-Stop are overpriced - to me their main issue is the one-size-fits all; so some bags will be too long in shorter torsos, and vice-versa. No sizing is allowed or provided. The belt itself, does not follow the body/hips contour - it's simply attached from the edge of side-back vertical seam.
at current price and weigh, the top and side panels should be waterproof
So, for some they will fit properly, and if you have a short tripod and don't need to carry more than one liter of water, they can be ok.
One has to try a bag and take it out - there are no perfect solutions, and everyone has different needs.

ps: I find the icu a PITA after all - zip for access and then zip again to reach gear - lens wraps or/and pouches are way more versatile, furthermore allowing for a better weight distribution.

NWPhil
Editing Image OK
GEAR

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,469 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 08, 2016 20:54 |  #45

I have no issues climbing with my belt kit, backpacks are cumbersome and slow. Sometimes I will use a backpack on top of my belt system if I need food, but mostly not.

What type of gear do people hike with?

Sony A7rii/A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - CV 21/3.5 - FE 35/2.8 - SY 35/1.4 AF - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

sponsored links

14,243 views & 42 likes for this thread
Hiking/backpacking camera bags?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.