Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 02 Dec 2015 (Wednesday) 13:54
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Do you use back button focus?"
Yes
84.3%
No
14.1%
What is back button focus?
1.6%

185 voters, 185 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Back Button AF?

WaltA
Goldmember
3,868 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Sep 19, 2016 18:59 |  #181

Wilt wrote in post #18133633 (external link)
I deliberately forget to tell them...I prefocus using BBF, preset the FL for desired framing, even preset exposure on Manual, and then hand them the camera with suggestion of what part of the background I would like them in capture while retaining us in the frame...they become nothing but an animated remote control.

It increases the chances of getting a desireable shot or two, rather than increased chances of having our heads bullseyed and nothing of the desired background in view!

I love it. An anthropomorphic remote control.

We should all have one.

Walt
400D, 5D, 7D and a bag of stuff

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
44,268 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 4 years ago by Wilt.

Sep 19, 2016 19:06 |  #182

WaltA wrote in post #18133643 (external link)
I love it. An anthropomorphic remote control.

We should all have one.

Way back when film cameras owned by the average Joe was a box camera with no meter and no focus, cameras were just aim and shoot things you could hand to people. All the 'progress' has made cameras easier to screw up! I make them simple to use once again, for the person doing us the favor of snapping the shutter.

Even smartphones have become more complex and you have to ask/tell how to snap the photo because each one is a bit different. Kind of like (as bad as) getting into a rental car and trying to figure out how to dim the dash instruments today or turn on the headlights!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

the ­ hulk
"I am not that incredible nowadays"
253 posts
Joined Feb 2015
Post edited over 4 years ago by the hulk.

Sep 20, 2016 02:24 |  #183

With BBF i got full time manual override focus on the 85L II, great!

Because of the electronic manual focusing mechanism I had to press the shutter button half way down before I turned the manual focus.

Now I can turn the manual focus ring and focus anytime and still have the option for auto focus. Should have tried BBF years ago...

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

33,703 views & 114 likes for this thread
Back Button AF?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.