Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 20 Sep 2016 (Tuesday) 02:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sigma 85mm f/1.4 DG HSM ART Lens - Let's Talk About It & Share Sample Photos

Tigerkn
Goldmember
4,055 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 20, 2016 02:38 |  #1

I've been waiting for Sigma to make the 85mm Art because I love my 35/85 combo and very impress with the 35mm Art. My 85mm non-Art version isn't so bad though but can't wait to pair the Art version with my 35mm. It is time to save my lunch money :).

Please share your thought and love about this lens. When you have sample shots of ducks or just your kitchen cook-top, please share them. I can't wait to pick up this baby...

https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com …f_1_4_dg_hsm.ht​ml/SUB/cpw (external link) - Photos from B&H:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Gears (external link)

sponsored links
Mike
ugly when I'm sober
15,276 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2006

Sep 20, 2016 02:45 |  #2

So what's the difference between Art and non Art lenses? (I have been under a rock for the last couple of years!!)

www.mikegreenphotograp​hy.co.uk (external link)
Gear
UK South Easterners
flickr (external link) Blog (external link) 5∞px (external link)

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? ::: A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Tigerkn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,055 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 20, 2016 02:46 as a reply to  @ Mike's post |  #3

The non Art is a Camry and the Art is a Lexus!

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Gears (external link)

smythie
I wasn't even trying
3,624 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 20, 2016 03:57 |  #4

"ART" is one of the three lens designations Sigma has been using since they started their Global Vision line (happy to be corrected but since they started that range I think they haven't released anything not Art, Contemporary or Sport). That was back in 2012 or 2013

So far it seems that Art is applied to their very good non telephoto lenses; Sport, their very good telephoto's and Contemporary anything that doesn't quite make the very good cut whether it's a telephoto or not. That's my take on it anyway.

Gear List

Mike
ugly when I'm sober
15,276 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2006

Sep 20, 2016 04:26 |  #5

I see, so it is a re-branding from the old naming format the used to use. The question is...are they any good? I used to have a Sigma 30mm 1.4 years ago...I liked it but its focus was a bit hit and miss!!

www.mikegreenphotograp​hy.co.uk (external link)
Gear
UK South Easterners
flickr (external link) Blog (external link) 5∞px (external link)

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? ::: A closed mouth gathers no foot.

MysticFalcon
215 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2012

Sep 20, 2016 04:59 |  #6

I hate to say this but I am a little disappointed by it. I am sure it will be an image quality monster but at that size and weight with the big filter size I may go with the Tamron. Especially at $1200. I love my 50 ART but this seems noticeably larger and heavier. I also love the thought of IS on a lens since I got the 5DS. I wish someone would release a 135 with it.
Overall it looks like a beast but maybe not for me. Until the reviews start to come in anyway.

Made the Fuji Switch
X-T2 | X-T20 | 18-55 | 55-140 | 100-400 | 8mm FE | 23mm 1.4 | 35mm 1.4 | 56mm 1.2
www.NEKPics.com (external link)

FuturamaJSP
Goldmember
2,227 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 20, 2016 08:49 |  #7

Someone should definitely create a similar thread for the 12-24 Art

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I said I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard! - Fallout New Vegas
blah blah blah
DA (external link)

Dlee13
Goldmember
3,059 posts
Gallery: 380 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 20, 2016 20:55 |  #8

Sample photos for the 85mm

http://www.sigma-global.com …images/original​_img03.jpg (external link)

http://www.sigma-global.com …images/original​_img02.jpg (external link)

Looks like it's pretty much the same as my current 85mm

Sony Alpha A7III ~ Canon EOS M5 ~ Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 ~ Canon EF 35mm f2 IS
Canon EF 16-35mm f4L IS ~ Canon EF 100mm f2.8L IS USM ~
Sigma MC-11 ~ Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 ~ Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art

Blog (external link) | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link)

vengence
Goldmember
2,100 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Sep 20, 2016 21:31 |  #9

Dlee13 wrote in post #18134960 (external link)
Sample photos for the 85mm

http://www.sigma-global.com …images/original​_img03.jpg (external link)

http://www.sigma-global.com …images/original​_img02.jpg (external link)

Looks like it's pretty much the same as my current 85mm

Looks sharp as hell, on the focal plane of course...

Dlee13
Goldmember
3,059 posts
Gallery: 380 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 20, 2016 21:43 |  #10

vengence wrote in post #18134993 (external link)
Looks sharp as hell, on the focal plane of course...

Definitely not saying it isn't sharp, but the old 85mm wasn't exactly soft so I'm not really blown away.

Sony Alpha A7III ~ Canon EOS M5 ~ Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 ~ Canon EF 35mm f2 IS
Canon EF 16-35mm f4L IS ~ Canon EF 100mm f2.8L IS USM ~
Sigma MC-11 ~ Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 ~ Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art

Blog (external link) | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link)

Scottboarding
500 posts
Gallery: 106 photos
Joined May 2016

Sep 20, 2016 22:19 as a reply to  @ Mike's post |  #11

I haven't tried the original 30mm, but I do own the art version and it's phenomenal. I've never had a misfocused photo that didn't come from user error. The focus is pretty fast too as long as you're not going from MFD to infinity. I've even used it in al-servo shooting a skater coming directly at me in burst mode, and the only out of focus photo was because I missed the skater on the AF point. I guess I have low-expectations for focusing speed as I've never had a problem with the speed of the lens. I'm not sure if the 30mm art is an exception, but they seemed to have fixed the inconsistent AF in their art line.

Gear: https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=18556308
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com​/photos/130385961@N05/ (external link)

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,622 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 20, 2016 22:30 |  #12

Tigerkn wrote in post #18133948 (external link)
I love my 35/85 combo

just two?... not sure if I could do that

I love my 12mm, 24mm, 50mm, 200mm, 15-30, 16-35, 24-70, 70-200, 70-200, 70-300, 24mm, 30mm, 17-50, 120-300 combo....

Hi my name is Talley and I have a problem...

My entire hobby of gear lust has temporarily been shifted into overload. Please be patient while my mind tries to get back onto the road to recovery. We do apologize for any inconvenience this may cause....
My Gear Archive

vengence
Goldmember
2,100 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Sep 20, 2016 22:31 |  #13

Scottboarding wrote in post #18135034 (external link)
I haven't tried the original 30mm, but I do own the art version and it's phenomenal. I've never had a misfocused photo that didn't come from user error. The focus is pretty fast too as long as you're not going from MFD to infinity. I've even used it in al-servo shooting a skater coming directly at me in burst mode, and the only out of focus photo was because I missed the skater on the AF point. I guess I have low-expectations for focusing speed as I've never had a problem with the speed of the lens. I'm not sure if the 30mm art is an exception, but they seemed to have fixed the inconsistent AF in their art line.

The AF problems seem to come from Sigma's guesses at the AF algorithms that canon uses. On some cameras and lens combinations it is perfect and consistent. On other combinations it is completely inconsistent. At some point when I have more time, it would nice if I could compile something like FoCal date on the various combinations of lenses and cameras to see which are which and give a buyers guide effectively.

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,622 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 20, 2016 22:32 |  #14

Not sure how I missed this thread...

but I did start a thread in the lens sample forum: https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1467606

My entire hobby of gear lust has temporarily been shifted into overload. Please be patient while my mind tries to get back onto the road to recovery. We do apologize for any inconvenience this may cause....
My Gear Archive

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,622 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 20, 2016 22:33 |  #15

FuturamaJSP wrote in post #18134168 (external link)
Someone should definitely create a similar thread for the 12-24 Art

Lens sample forum for photo samples

My Gear Archive

sponsored links

10,914 views & 11 likes for this thread
Sigma 85mm f/1.4 DG HSM ART Lens - Let's Talk About It & Share Sample Photos
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.