Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 20 Sep 2016 (Tuesday) 11:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Best DSLR for $1300 or under

Dudara
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Sep 2016

Sep 20, 2016 11:01 |  #1

Hello,

I'm thinking of buying a DSLR camera for photography in the next month or so, as the choice is so wast and I don't know anyone personally to consult with, I thought this would be a great place to ask such a question.

The camera is going to be a gift for my gf, she loves photography but doesn't have the spare cash to buy a decent camera. She loves photographing landscapes and the occasional portrait.

Any advice is much appreciated. :) And a complete kit would also be great info to have.

Cheers!

sponsored links
MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,464 posts
Gallery: 1790 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Sep 20, 2016 11:06 |  #2

Eh,

Hard question since we don't know if your GF has lenses already or not.

Does the $1300 include lenses? Or just the body? Accessories? I assume you need everything, so that $1300 is for the body, lenses and bag/accessories.

Care about Sony? Nikon? Canon?

Size matter?

Does she like big bulky heavy cameras and lenses?

Considered Micro 4/3's?

My top recommendation for the GF camera thing is going to be a Fuji APS-C and two little lenses (an 18mm F2 and something longer, like a 50mm of some flavor).

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,533 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 20, 2016 11:51 |  #3

With Mal there. The first thing we need to know is whether she already has an SLR and some lenses or if this is starting out a fresh kit. If there are no, pre-existing lenses then the field is a lot wider. Also, some clarification on whether the budget is for a body only or for a full, functional kit.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

PJmak
718 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 20, 2016 11:56 |  #4

Sony a6300
80D
7D II

Body only:
5D II
6D

For that price you should be able to get the whole 80D kit by now.

Seeing that its for your gf, she might like the a6300 more. They are just way more cool and they should be better at most except they dont have the dual pixel auto focus.

Viewbug (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
14,562 posts
Gallery: 154 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 20, 2016 13:08 |  #5

Dudara wrote in post #18134288 (external link)

I, for one, am glad to see that you want to get her the BEST camera within your budget, and not just "a camera that will meet her needs", or "a camera that is the best value for the money".

I'm also glad that you specified a DSLR - that makes it easier to answer the question.

Unfortunately, I am only familiar with Canon's lineup, and really don't know anything about the other manufacturer's DSLRs. Hence, I am not qualified to make a suggestion. But I did want to post just to say that I like the parameters that you set. Too often an OP sets parameters, then receives suggestions that do not fall within those parameters. Hopefully that does not happen here.

I am interested in seeing what folks suggest.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,675 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Sep 20, 2016 14:04 |  #6

MalVeauX wrote in post #18134299 (external link)
Eh,

Hard question since we don't know if your GF has lenses already or not.

Does the $1300 include lenses? Or just the body? Accessories? I assume you need everything, so that $1300 is for the body, lenses and bag/accessories.

Care about Sony? Nikon? Canon?

Size matter?

Does she like big bulky heavy cameras and lenses?

Considered Micro 4/3's?

My top recommendation for the GF camera thing is going to be a Fuji APS-C and two little lenses (an 18mm F2 and something longer, like a 50mm of some flavor).

Very best,

This.

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18134406 (external link)

I, for one, am glad to see that you want to get her the BEST camera within your budget, and not just "a camera that will meet her needs", or "a camera that is the best value for the money".

I'm also glad that you specified a DSLR - that makes it easier to answer the question.

Unfortunately, I am only familiar with Canon's lineup, and really don't know anything about the other manufacturer's DSLRs. Hence, I am not qualified to make a suggestion. But I did want to post just to say that I like the parameters that you set. Too often an OP sets parameters, then receives suggestions that do not fall within those parameters. Hopefully that does not happen here.

I am interested in seeing what folks suggest.

Except that OP asked about DSLR's seemingly because of the usual assumption that DSLR's are the "best" or more "serious" cameras... that's often no longer the case, especially for landscapes and portraits.

Taking a close minded approach and not helping the OP understand all of their options isn't helpful in my opinion.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

PJmak
718 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 20, 2016 14:06 |  #7

Youll find it that on these forums people seem to complicate things quite a bit

Viewbug (external link)

PNPhotography
803 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 20, 2016 14:26 |  #8

If i was starting from scratch and was going to spend $1300 for a landscape/portrait camera I'd get a Nikon D7200,IMHO.

6D|7D|7DMKII|Nikon D750|Nikon 85 F1.8|Nikon D5500|G15| Gripped|300F4|35F2IS|8​5 F1.8|135L F2|200L F2.8|17-55 F2.8|70-200L F2.8 MKII|430EX|
https://www.facebook.c​om …2755174446/?ref​=bookmarks (external link)

Dudara
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Sep 2016

Sep 20, 2016 14:40 as a reply to  @ MalVeauX's post |  #9

Ideally it should include lenses in $1300 price range, but i can go over it by a bit, if it is actually worth it. ;)

She's interested in Nikon and Canon cameras, i don't think Sony is on her wishlist.

No, it does not matter if the camera is bulky, large or anything else, it needs to perform, that's it ;)

No have not considered Micro 4/3's, but they don't seem as anything she'd want.

Dudara
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Sep 2016

Sep 20, 2016 14:48 as a reply to  @ Snydremark's post |  #10

Fresh kit ;)

Really depends on how much the lenses are gonna cost in the end, If I could i'd go way overboard, but sadly can't.

bacchanal
Cream of the Crop
5,284 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Sep 20, 2016 15:13 |  #11

I would definitely put the D7200 on your short list. I own the 80D, and it is very capable as well (the video AF is amazing), but the D7200 is the image quality king for an APS-C DSLR. Those two cameras don't leave much room for lenses. You could start her out with a D7200 and a 35 1.8G DX, which I personally think would be a great option...but some people would find a single focal length lens a bit limiting.

Drew A. | gear | photosexternal link

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
14,562 posts
Gallery: 154 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 3 years ago by Tom Reichner. (3 edits in all)

Sep 20, 2016 15:13 |  #12

PJmak wrote in post #18134455 (external link)
Youll find it that on these forums people seem to complicate things quite a bit

I agree, and it bothers me to no end! Sticking within the OP's parameters should really help to keep things simple.

Dudara wrote in post #18134485 (external link)
Ideally it should include lenses in $1300 price range, but i can go over it by a bit, if it is actually worth it. ;)
She's interested in Nikon and Canon cameras, i don't think Sony is on her wishlist.
No, it does not matter if the camera is bulky, large or anything else, it needs to perform, that's it ;)

Well, in that case I think that the 6D is the best DSLR in Canon's lineup for portraiture and landscape photography, given the $1300+ parameter. I think that they are about $1499 new at B&H right now, but surely could be had for hundreds less on the used market. As mentioned before, I do not know if any of the Nikon DSLRs in this price range are better for portraiture and landscapes than the Canon 6D.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Sep 20, 2016 15:50 |  #13

I spent more than $1300 for each of two cameras. The lenses and lighting adds up to about $10,000 more. If the budget is $1,300, you may wish to reconsider the whole SLR thing. Even a used 70D/80D and some decent EF-s lenses are going to cost way more than that.

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,675 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Sep 20, 2016 16:13 |  #14

Bassat wrote in post #18134551 (external link)
I spent more than $1300 for each of two cameras. The lenses and lighting adds up to about $10,000 more. If the budget is $1,300, you may wish to reconsider the whole SLR thing. Even a used 70D/80D and some decent EF-s lenses are going to cost way more than that.

What? Surly you must be joking...

DSLRs can be had for under $200 used and under $400 new... I started with a T2i and $200 Sigma 18-50/2.8-4.5 and some of my favorite shots even today were taken with that ($500) setup.

You don't need the nicest DSLR to take great pictures, you need knowledge and experience.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Sep 20, 2016 17:58 |  #15

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #18134586 (external link)
What? Surly you must be joking...

DSLRs can be had for under $200 used and under $400 new... I started with a T2i and $200 Sigma 18-50/2.8-4.5 and some of my favorite shots even today were taken with that ($500) setup.

You don't need the nicest DSLR to take great pictures, you need knowledge and experience.

Agreed. If the OP (and GF) want to stay with old technology and ef-s lenses, a $1,300 kit is a quite capable. If she loves photography and gets in deep, that will be money she could have better spent on a 5D/5D2 and some fair EF glass. No way you make a well rounded collection EF glass for $1,000, leaving $300 for an old, out-of-warranty, no-longer-repaired, parts-not-available 5D. Spend $7-800 on a 5D2 and the budget goes south quickly.

5D2 $700
28 1.8 $300
50 STM $75
85 1.8 $300
(notice we're over budget already)
28-105/135 zoom $150
70-200 f/4 non-IS $450
Add some lights/modifiers/contr​ollers and the budget is approaching double the OP's stated limit. And no macro, long tele, or fast zooms. To me, that's a pretty thin kit for a good bit on the other side of $2,000.

sponsored links

14,064 views & 25 likes for this thread
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.