Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 Aug 2016 (Wednesday) 21:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 5D Mark IV -- Time to Discuss!

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,622 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2011
Post edited over 1 year ago by Talley.

Sep 21, 2016 08:27 |  #2716

Dlee13 wrote in post #18135344 (external link)
How long does your system take to boot? Should be 30 seconds at the longest (mine takes about 25 seconds and I only have i5 with 8GB ram). It wouldn't hurt to check in your bios/UEFI and see. With a decent high end system you would still get decent speeds but they could be that bit better when you have it properly set.

If you're on Windows 10, you can follow this tutorial (external link) if it isn't already setup. I know for Windows 7 you had to install a driver for AHCI if it wasn't already installed when you did the original install.

5yr old machine and mine boots in 14 seconds :)

j/k... I have no clue but it's faster than 30.

My entire hobby of gear lust has temporarily been shifted into overload. Please be patient while my mind tries to get back onto the road to recovery. We do apologize for any inconvenience this may cause....
My Gear Archive

sponsored links
Talley
Talley Whacker
10,622 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 21, 2016 08:29 |  #2717

Scrumhalf wrote in post #18135345 (external link)
It's like driving three cars off a 1000 foot cliff and basing your buying decision on which one is the least mangled when they hit the ground. I think I'll base my decision on other real life factors, thank you.

I actually bought a car years ago it was 1990 Geo Metro and I was looking for a sub 1k cash car. The guy at the small lot had a sign saying he was out but call... I saw a car there that was 1400 so I called him and he was picking up this said geo metro and said he would be there in 10 minutes. I believe the care I was looking at was a toyota of something.

He pulls up minutes later and pops the hood... the car is running but there is no battery in the car... I said how the heck you drove it over here. He said oh I had someone jump start the car with their vehicle and I drove it on the alternator back over here. I said oh ya... how much for the car... he said 700

about 30 minutes later I was proud owner of said car. See... I want real world performance lol.

My entire hobby of gear lust has temporarily been shifted into overload. Please be patient while my mind tries to get back onto the road to recovery. We do apologize for any inconvenience this may cause....
My Gear Archive

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,282 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Sep 21, 2016 08:30 as a reply to  @ post 18135343 |  #2718

Yours was a better test to an extent, at least you had a bright kitchen that you recorded into the upper stops. :D

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,282 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Sep 21, 2016 08:32 as a reply to  @ Talley's post |  #2719

Doesn't it get old jump starting each time you want to go? :lol:

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Chet
my rates fluctuate
42,726 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 21, 2016 08:49 |  #2720

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18135353 (external link)
Doesn't it get old jump starting each time you want to go? :lol:

I had a buddy in hs that had a bum battery in his vw bug. The bug had a manual transmission and he would just push and pop the clutch to start it. He did that for almost 8 weeks before finally putting a new/old battery in that had just enough oomph to start it with the battery. Good times.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

Colorblinded
Goldmember
2,619 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 21, 2016 08:54 |  #2721

Talley wrote in post #18135346 (external link)
5yr old machine and mine boots in 14 seconds :)

j/k... I have no clue but it's faster than 30.

Hah, my system is almost 4 years old and would probably boot in under 20 seconds, unfortunately I've got a SCSI card in it that takes just that long to initialize.

http://www.colorblinde​dphoto.com (external link)
http://www.thecolorbli​ndphotographer.com (external link)

Colorblinded
Goldmember
2,619 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 21, 2016 08:56 |  #2722

sploo wrote in post #18135342 (external link)
I assume that a high DR scene (that the shooter felt required an extreme shadow push) would function in the same way (in the lower stops) as the above low DR scene underexposed. Thus the test is valid for looking at what happens in the lower stops - albeit on the face of it a pointless thing to do with that scene.

Agree, but is this just happening with ACR based converters? I never saw this mentioned with DPP and haven't heard much else, seems just as possible that Adobe is doing something strange here.

sploo
premature adulation
2,265 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 21, 2016 09:17 |  #2723

Colorblinded wrote in post #18135373 (external link)
Agree, but is this just happening with ACR based converters? I never saw this mentioned with DPP and haven't heard much else, seems just as possible that Adobe is doing something strange here.

I'd be surprised if that sort of noise was a raw processing artefact, but I don't know what the affected photos have been edited with.

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,394 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Sep 21, 2016 09:21 |  #2724

Chet wrote in post #18135366 (external link)
I had a buddy in hs that had a bum battery in his vw bug. The bug had a manual transmission and he would just push and pop the clutch to start it. He did that for almost 8 weeks before finally putting a new/old battery in that had just enough oomph to start it with the battery. Good times.

I had the VW microbus,. no starting motor. It was light enough to push start on level ground. No problem!

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
54,092 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 21, 2016 09:24 |  #2725

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18135403 (external link)
I had the VW microbus,. no starting motor. It was light enough to push start on level ground. No problem!

I had a '67 Beetle and though it had a starter, it would never start with it but would fire right up when push started. I got really good parking the thing on just a steep enough incline that the roll was enough.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

sploo
premature adulation
2,265 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 21, 2016 09:31 |  #2726

Dammit! I've only just noticed that the feckin' title fairy has got me.

Where can I go and pull some wings ;-)a

Nethawked
791 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Oct 2014

Sep 21, 2016 09:45 |  #2727

sploo wrote in post #18134732 (external link)
How ironic that I've just edited my first batch of images in the updated LR... whilst listening to a bit of Sabbath ;)

The good news is that the latitude of the files are clearly very good, and the resolution allows for some real flexibility in cropping (whilst still producing an image with sufficient detail). Hmmm. Latitude. Resolution. I can hear the Nikon owners chuckling again about 2012.

Anyway, the bad news is that it's beginning to hurt Lightroom, though I'm not entirely sure what's the bottleneck. I'm running an i7-5930K, which isn't exactly cutting edge, but it's no slouch (and the Task Manager isn't indicating I'm CPU bound). Plenty of RAM too.

Given that one of the big lags is switching between images I'm wondering if it's just too much for my old graphics card. I did find it helps performance with 5D3 files, but perhaps these are just going beyond some memory limit or bus transfer speed.

Have you tried boosting LR Preferences -> Camera Raw Cache Settings? Mine is 20GB and pointed to an internal SSD (my boot drive), with an i7-4770 & 16GB RAM and have not experienced significant slowdown unless I'm zoomed in on an image (1:1) and switch to another.

sploo
premature adulation
2,265 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 21, 2016 09:50 |  #2728

Nethawked wrote in post #18135437 (external link)
Have you tried boosting LR Preferences -> Camera Raw Cache Settings? Mine is 20GB and pointed to an internal SSD (my boot drive), with an i7-4770 & 16GB RAM and have not experienced significant slowdown unless I'm zoomed in on an image (1:1) and switch to another.

I did change the value some time ago - probably in the order of 20GB, but I'm not in front of that machine now. I do like my 1:1 previews (I tend to jump in and out of 100% zoom quite a lot).

Colorblinded
Goldmember
2,619 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 21, 2016 09:51 |  #2729

sploo wrote in post #18135397 (external link)
I'd be surprised if that sort of noise was a raw processing artefact, but I don't know what the affected photos have been edited with.

Doesn't really seem like there's enough information yet, it's a possibility, but I think I'll just keep an open mind and follow it until someone does a more in depth analysis.

If nobody has by the time I get a camera, I'll do it, although I don't keep my C1 up to date anymore and that would be interesting to compare as well.

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,094 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 21, 2016 10:30 |  #2730

graham121 wrote in post #18135236 (external link)
I am curious as I have seen a few articles that mention this body has a Digic 6 processor for the 150,000 pixel iTR metering as well as the Digic 6+ processor for the image processing, autofocus and rest of what is required.

Yet official Canon literature only mentions the Digic 6+ processor.

Wondering what the real go is???

I saw the second processor on one of Canon's sales animations. But since none of the specs mentioned it, I figured it was either a mistake or just artistic license from the animation department. I guess we'll have to wait for someone to tear one down to know for sure.

sponsored links

680,050 views & 2,655 likes for this thread
Canon 5D Mark IV -- Time to Discuss!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.