Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 Aug 2016 (Wednesday) 21:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 5D Mark IV -- Time to Discuss!

flashpoint99
411 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 23, 2016 10:25 |  #2926

Very close to sold on the 5d mark 4. What version of stand alone LR supports the RAW files. I understand there was an upgrade that made LR 6 work. Is it a matter of buying the latest version of LR 6 then doing an upgrade online? Sorry for the ignorance on the subject but coming from LR 5 and not having to deal with subscriptions ect I am kind of lost on what direction to go at the moment. Thanks for any help in advance!

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,862 posts
Gallery: 103 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Sep 23, 2016 10:26 |  #2927

Talley wrote in post #18137733 (external link)
I've sat today really looking at my evolving knowledge of photography and my gear. What I use to think was nuts, expensive, worthless, not needed.... and now I see the trend that I've moved into and I fear for what the future has to offer...

...Fuji medium format :eek:

It is no surprise to the rest of us, we have seen this trend since the beginning! :-P

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 7D Mark II
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock
For Sale: Ladies Thirty-One Camera Sling

sploo
premature adulation
2,409 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 23, 2016 10:44 |  #2928

flashpoint99 wrote in post #18137735 (external link)
Very close to sold on the 5d mark 4. What version of stand alone LR supports the RAW files. I understand there was an upgrade that made LR 6 work. Is it a matter of buying the latest version of LR 6 then doing an upgrade online? Sorry for the ignorance on the subject but coming from LR 5 and not having to deal with subscriptions ect I am kind of lost on what direction to go at the moment. Thanks for any help in advance!

Upgrade to LR 6 and ensure you've got the latest release (6.7) and you'll be good.

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

Mike
ugly when I'm sober
15,397 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2006

Sep 23, 2016 10:47 |  #2929

Well I have just pushed the button. A new camera will be with me tomorrow (I paid extra for Saturday delivery) :D

But what was a little annoying, my 20D they offered me £70 for part exchange...but because it had a third party battery charger they charged £40 to replace with an OEM charger leaving a part ex value of £30!

I still get an addittional £200 trade in bonus but that sucked a bit!!

www.mikegreenphotograp​hy.co.uk (external link)
Gear
UK South Easterners
flickr (external link) Insta1 (external link) Insta2 (external link)

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

LJ3Jim
Goldmember
1,042 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Sep 23, 2016 10:49 |  #2930

flashpoint99 wrote in post #18137735 (external link)

Go here:
https://www.adobe.com …tware_sl_mostpo​pular.html (external link)
Find Lightroom in the list and click on "Buy." Change the product type from "Full" to "Upgrade" and specify your LR 5 product. You can then get LR 6 for $79. You will need your LR 5 product key when you activate LR 6. The download of LR 6 from Adobe will probably include the update that supports the 5D4 raw files. If not, it's a simple update once LR 6 is installed. Lightroom version 6.7 is the latest.

Image editing ok; C&C always welcome.

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,747 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Post edited over 2 years ago by Charlie.

Sep 23, 2016 10:49 |  #2931

Talley wrote in post #18137733 (external link)
...Fuji medium format :eek:

yes yes yes

but I cant see using ONLY fuji, that would be my dedicated landscape / studio camera. They've already mentioned that the lenses can resolve 100mp, so might even wait till those 100mp bodies appear, but I'm loving the direction fuji has made, glad they skipped full frame.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - CV 21/3.5 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

LJ3Jim
Goldmember
1,042 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Sep 23, 2016 10:56 |  #2932

Charlie wrote in post #18137760 (external link)
might even wait till those 100mp bodies appear...

No need to wait:
https://www.phaseone.c​om …mera-Systems/XF100MP.aspx (external link)

Image editing ok; C&C always welcome.

AnnieMacD
Oops, me again
3,461 posts
Gallery: 602 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Aug 2012

Sep 23, 2016 10:56 |  #2933

Mike wrote in post #18137757 (external link)
Well I have just pushed the button. A new camera will be with me tomorrow (I paid extra for Saturday delivery) :D

But what was a little annoying, my 20D they offered me £70 for part exchange...but because it had a third party battery charger they charged £40 to replace with an OEM charger leaving a part ex value of £30!

Oooh, you are way ahead of me. I just got an email yesterday to say they had received my package so probably won't hear from them again until Monday. Post lots of pics please!

flickr (external link)

sploo
premature adulation
2,409 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 23, 2016 10:58 |  #2934

Mike wrote in post #18137757 (external link)

TBH though, looking at the sold listings on fleaBay for the 20D, you still got a good deal off the 5D4 (i.e. more than you'd make on the 20D on eBay).

Fortunately they did honour the full quote for my 5D3 + BG-E11 grip, and with the £200 bonus it did look to be a fair price vs what I could have got for an eBay sale, so I guess I can't complain.

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,747 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 23, 2016 11:15 |  #2935

In mirrorless format AND affordable :-) (less than 10K for body)

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - CV 21/3.5 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

Mike
ugly when I'm sober
15,397 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2006

Sep 23, 2016 11:15 |  #2936

AnnieMacD wrote in post #18137767 (external link)
Oooh, you are way ahead of me. I just got an email yesterday to say they had received my package so probably won't hear from them again until Monday. Post lots of pics please!

I pestered them and was far too impatient ha ha! I also managed to reserve one a couple of days ago because their website shows awaiting stock so that was lucky!

sploo wrote in post #18137768 (external link)
TBH though, looking at the sold listings on fleaBay for the 20D, you still got a good deal off the 5D4 (i.e. more than you'd make on the 20D on eBay).

Fortunately they did honour the full quote for my 5D3 + BG-E11 grip, and with the £200 bonus it did look to be a fair price vs what I could have got for an eBay sale, so I guess I can't complain.

sploo wrote in post #18137768 (external link)

Fair enough 230 squid off a 20 d is more than I would have expected anyway!

www.mikegreenphotograp​hy.co.uk (external link)
Gear
UK South Easterners
flickr (external link) Insta1 (external link) Insta2 (external link)

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

sploo
premature adulation
2,409 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 23, 2016 11:18 |  #2937

Mike wrote in post #18137786 (external link)
Fair enough 230 squid off a 20 d is more than I would have expected anyway!

Frankly it's worth digging out old gear! The £200 bonus just meant the price for my 5D3 was ballpark what you'd get for a good eBay sale. Getting >£200 for a 20D is a steal.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,661 posts
Gallery: 160 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Sep 23, 2016 11:19 |  #2938

Mike, 20D ---> 5D4!

Of all people on this forum, prepare to have your mind blown, your ears smoking, and your pants lit on fire!

that is going to be one heck of an upgrade :)

Congrats.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,636 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 23, 2016 11:22 |  #2939

Engineered_Reflex wrote in post #18136409 (external link)
One thing I'm curious about is iso 50. I've not had a camera before with iso which is expanded downwards. I can see a use for it when taking shots of say helicopters in bright conditions when I would want to keep the shutter speed low without closing the aperture too much. Is there a downside to using iso 50?

ISO 50 on recent Canons is ISO 100 gain and digitization with ISO 50 metering. If you are shooting it like slide film or JPEG-only, there should be no problem. It's as "real" an ISO 50 as slide film is. You can't, however, expect to expose to the right like you do at higher ISOs and pull back in a converter, because the "extra" headroom just isn't there.

The 5D4, however, is supposedly capable of reading out both dual-pixel halves, and the sensor has some extra headroom that Canon doesn't use, but shows when reading these half-pixels separately. In dual-pixel RAWs, one of the two is included. A firmware update from Canon, or Magic Lantern update, *could* conceivably give an ISO 50 (or at least 64) with as much headroom as ISO 100 normally has, and an ISO 25 (or 32) with the headroom that 50 currently has.

Current dual-pixel RAWs can give extra headroom, but with one small artifact: the bokeh of the extended headroom is like you covered one side of the lens, so the extra highlights will have different bokeh than the image with the lower tonal range.

This extra headroom is something you can "pull down" in a converter, and is generally not an important part of a default conversion. IOW, an OOC JPEG should not suffer from the lesser headroom, unless you have a picture style with low contrast that rolls in the extra highlights.

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,636 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 23, 2016 11:34 |  #2940

Engineered_Reflex wrote in post #18136437 (external link)
That sounds problematic in that situation! I'll stick to going up the F stops instead I think. Thanks Tally

What we need is a "soft manual" auto-ISO exposure mode. You set the target shutter speed and f-number, just like traditional manual, but the shutter speed and f-number can alter, based on user-supplied rules, when the lighting can cause issues.

Allowing the shutter speed to drop in very low light is OK, because the ISO is so high that pixel-level details are hopeless, anyway. Up to a point, sharpness trumps noise but at some point, sharpness becomes hopeless and a small amount of blur with a reduction in noise is tolerable. Same for the f-number with a lens that is sharpest stopped down a bit; you can allow the lens to open up to slow down the increase in ISO at a point where appreciating stopped-down sharpness is prevented by noise.

The big one for me is allowing the shutter speed to increase when light is too bright for base ISO or a user-set minimum ISO. I get burned sometimes when I find a relatively sluggish subject in the shade and drop the shutter speed, and then find my next subject in the sun, and my settings are for and ISO 12 exposure in the sun, and the shot is seriously blown.

sponsored links

773,193 views & 2,663 likes for this thread
Canon 5D Mark IV -- Time to Discuss!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.