Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 24 Sep 2016 (Saturday) 07:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is this build good for editing photos?

yamatama
261 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Sep 24, 2016 07:08 |  #1

Hey Guys, all my life I have been working on pre built laptops and desktops, mainly apple. I wanted to try something new and Im learning quite a bit on computers (yes.. Im a noob at this). I went to a Build me a PC forum and the guys where nice enough to give me some guidance. My budget is $1,000 just for a tower.. basically to run Lightroom and PS at the same time. Im a wedding photographer so I need all the speed I can get. They recommended me this build.

CPU Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $333.00 @ B&H

CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $29.99 @ Newegg

Motherboard ASRock Z170 Pro4S ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $101.88 @ OutletPC

Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $69.98 @ NCIX US

Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $157.30 @ Newegg

Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $45.71 @ OutletPC

Video Card Sapphire Radeon RX 460 4GB NITRO Video Card $130.99 @ Newegg

Case Corsair SPEC-02 ATX Mid Tower Case $59.98 @ NCIX US

Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA GS 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $88.98 @ Newegg

Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts

Total $1017.81

If you guys could let me know what you think I would appreciate it a lot.

PS. Sorry for my bad english :)

Nikon D750, 35 1.4G, 85 1.8G, 24-70 2.8G, 70-200 2.8G
My website www.williamdelacruz.co​m (external link)
FB like page https://www.facebook.c​om/WilliamDeLaCruzPhot​o (external link)

sponsored links
frugivore
Goldmember
3,089 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 24, 2016 08:41 |  #2

yamatama wrote in post #18138667 (external link)
Hey Guys, all my life I have been working on pre built laptops and desktops, mainly apple. I wanted to try something new and Im learning quite a bit on computers (yes.. Im a noob at this). I went to a Build me a PC forum and the guys where nice enough to give me some guidance. My budget is $1,000 just for a tower.. basically to run Lightroom and PS at the same time. Im a wedding photographer so I need all the speed I can get. They recommended me this build.

CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $29.99 @ Newegg

Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $69.98 @ NCIX US

Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $45.71 @ OutletPC

Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA GS 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $88.98 @ Newegg

Total $1017.81

That looks pretty good to me. I'm guessing you'll be using the SSD only for OS and software. If so, do you really need 500GB? I store my media on HDDs and 1GB wouldn't be enough. I would get a 250GB SSD and a bigger HDD.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,882 posts
Joined May 2003
Post edited over 3 years ago by John from PA. (2 edits in all)

Sep 24, 2016 09:09 |  #3

Are you after the enjoyment and challenge of the project or do you hope to save money?

The reason I ask is Dell is running a 35% off until 9/27. The other day they had a machine virtually identical to what you are seeking at a lust price of $1029, $669 after the coupon was applied. Do a search for Dell Outlet and see what you might be able to find while the coupon is still good. Along the title bar of the site you'll see "Coupons". Click that to see some specific daily and weekly deals that might also be worthwhile.

http://outlet.us.dell.​com …1fLaQ%3d%3d&pui​d=d70a1a76 (external link) as an example.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,021 posts
Gallery: 543 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 24, 2016 09:18 |  #4

I too would suggest 256 GB SSD and at least 2GB HDD for the initial build, knowing that you will probably need to add further HDDs down the road. Having 500 GB available on SSD could be useful, but I would be inclined to use a pair of 256 GB drives, one for OS/Programs the other for the LR Catalogue and PS cache. At the moment I have OS/Programs on the SSD, plus the LR Catalogue and previews, so an additional 256 GB SSD is one the cards for my new DELL XPS 8900 which is of a very similar spec. With i7 6700 processor not the K version, but I'm not planning on overclocking, and an Nvidia GTX 960 which I went with mostly for the Dual DP1.2 connectors to drive my 5K monitor at 60Hz, although the CUDA support should also help when running Premier.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

yamatama
THREAD ­ STARTER
261 posts
Joined Feb 2012
Post edited over 3 years ago by yamatama.

Sep 24, 2016 09:33 |  #5

BigAl007 wrote in post #18138742 (external link)
I too would suggest 256 GB SSD and at least 2GB HDD for the initial build, knowing that you will probably need to add further HDDs down the road. Having 500 GB available on SSD could be useful, but I would be inclined to use a pair of 256 GB drives, one for OS/Programs the other for the LR Catalogue and PS cache. At the moment I have OS/Programs on the SSD, plus the LR Catalogue and previews, so an additional 256 GB SSD is one the cards for my new DELL XPS 8900 which is of a very similar spec. With i7 6700 processor not the K version, but I'm not planning on overclocking, and an Nvidia GTX 960 which I went with mostly for the Dual DP1.2 connectors to drive my 5K monitor at 60Hz, although the CUDA support should also help when running Premier.

Alan

By having another SSD for LR Catalogue and PS cache you mean using it as a scratch disk? Someone suggested doing that, but i don't know what he was referring to, I didn't really understand that part.

-dave-m-
493 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 24, 2016 11:00 |  #6

yamatama wrote in post #18138667 (external link)

Total $1017.81

Are you planning to overclock the CPU? If not, you can save a few dollars by buying the non k version of the i7 6700($30 dollars cheaper) and a cheaper motherboard(non Z series) that still has all the features and ports you need. On the GPU side Adobe products generally work better with Nvidia based GPU's(not that a GPU makes a big difference). You can get a GTX950 or GTX750Ti for the same money. Nvidia will also be releasing the GTX1050/GTX1050Ti in the next month or so.

I would choose a 250GB SSD/2 TB HDD(WD Black) over a 500GB SSD/1 TB HDD(Blue). Hard drives are usually the slowest link inside the PC, any bump in speed here helps(WD Black is a faster HDD).

5D MkII Gripped | 7D MkII Gripped | 200 f/2.8L | 17-40 f/4L | Σ 24-105 OS f/4 Art | Σ 50 f/1.4 Art | Σ 150-600 OS f/5-6.3 C | 430EX II

Shaymus
49 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 24, 2016 11:25 |  #7

500 Gig SSD is right on the money, people forget there is a lot of invisible caching going on. The cost differential on 250 vs 500 makes the 500 a no brainer. Never heard anyone complain gee I wish I had gone smaller!

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 24, 2016 12:01 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

I'd avoid AS(s)rock and G.Skill and use something decent like ASUS or Gigabyte and Crucial or Corsair, respectively.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,503 posts
Gallery: 1847 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Sep 24, 2016 12:33 |  #9

Heya,

If you use your 500Gb SSD for OS/Software and let that software fill it as cache during editing (and it will), it will saturate with a ton of photos opened to edit (such as in Photoshop at one time). Each open image in Photoshop actually adds a ton as you edit as each layer increases cache file size, and it gets big real quick (gigs upon gigs depending on how many you open to edit at a time, especially if running actions, etc). Point is, more storage is always better. This stuff doesn't just sit in RAM either. It will go to the scratch disk specified within the settings of LR/Photoshop. So if you think 500Gb is enough great. If you want to add another SSD strictly for use as the scratch disk for LR/PS that would actually be ideal. It adds to budget, but it does matter. Ideal world, OS and software running on one SSD, and the LR/PS catalog & scratch disk on another SSD (you set this as a preference in the settings). Then a big fat HDD for general storage (not to edit from).

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,981 posts
Gallery: 184 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Sep 24, 2016 12:46 |  #10

Shaymus wrote in post #18138869 (external link)
500 Gig SSD is right on the money, people forget there is a lot of invisible caching going on. The cost differential on 250 vs 500 makes the 500 a no brainer. Never heard anyone complain gee I wish I had gone smaller!

Agreed, and I'd add a larger disk drive for the data. 2TB at least, but these days 3 and 4 TB are very affordable. Match it with a 2nd one, maybe external to use for back up.

Alveric wrote in post #18138913 (external link)
I'd avoid AS(s)rock and G.Skill and use something decent like ASUS or Gigabyte and Crucial or Corsair, respectively.

This is sound advice.
I am not familiar with gskil or assrock, but I have never had a Corsair memory go bad on me or arrive DOA (many others have) and I also prefer to buy motherboards from ling time brands I trust.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

yamatama
THREAD ­ STARTER
261 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Sep 24, 2016 13:58 |  #11

Alveric wrote in post #18138913 (external link)

Thanks! Can you tell me why

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
4,785 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Sep 24, 2016 14:08 |  #12

yamatama wrote in post #18139012 (external link)

A quick check on amazon show mixed user reviews...

https://www.amazon.com …iewpoints=1&sor​tBy=recent (external link)

When you see my camera gear you'll think I'm a pro.
When you see my photos you'll know that I'm not.

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by Alveric. (2 edits in all)

Sep 24, 2016 14:53 |  #13
bannedPermanent ban

yamatama wrote in post #18139012 (external link)

G.Skill had lots of problems with Intel chipsets some years ago. They might have cleaned up their act, but I'd rather not find out first hand if they no longer have the compatibility and reliability issues that plagued them (man, some of those compatibility tables were long).

Asrock is a 'budget' brand. I think they're owned by ASUS, but that doesn't necessarily mean their mobos are the same quality. Back when I was in the computer building business the brands with the highest failure rate were PC Chips, ECS, Asrock, and essentially anything that was cheapest. It's like with everything: you get what you pay for: can't expect a $69 board to be as good as a $110 board. Those brands earned well the soubriquets we system integrators gave them: PC $hits, Extremely Crappy S***, and ArseRock.

PC Chips, if I remember correctly, were one of the first board makers to have everything on-board –audio, video, modem–, back in the times when all such deviceds required dedicated cards. It certainly made it possible to build dirt-cheap computers that were very attractive especially outside the US and Canada; problem is many of those machines died or gave lots of problems due to the components being made by the lowest bidder.

It'd be disingenious to assume that 'things have changed, everything's better now, and that all brands and price ranges are just the same (all good) and that it's just a matter of choice' :rolleyes:. Trust me, you don't want to skimp on components: when it comes to digital photography, the computer is as important as the camera in the production pipeline. Do stick with reputable brands.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

-dave-m-
493 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 24, 2016 15:33 |  #14

I have never used an Asrock product, so I can not really say much about them. The company was spun off from Asustek and is currently owned by Pegatron.

My Z170/6700k build has G.Skill DDR4(prior to this I usually used Corsair RAM) and the G.Skill has been as good as any RAM I have ever used. No stability issues at stock or overclocked speeds.

5D MkII Gripped | 7D MkII Gripped | 200 f/2.8L | 17-40 f/4L | Σ 24-105 OS f/4 Art | Σ 50 f/1.4 Art | Σ 150-600 OS f/5-6.3 C | 430EX II

sponsored links

2,337 views & 6 likes for this thread
Is this build good for editing photos?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.