Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 Aug 2016 (Wednesday) 21:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 5D Mark IV -- Time to Discuss!

Mike
ugly when I'm sober
15,397 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2006

Sep 24, 2016 13:26 as a reply to  @ post 18138979 |  #3046

Here's another just to rub it in ;)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

www.mikegreenphotograp​hy.co.uk (external link)
Gear
UK South Easterners
flickr (external link) Insta1 (external link) Insta2 (external link)

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

sponsored links
sploo
premature adulation
2,414 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 24, 2016 14:24 as a reply to  @ Mike's post |  #3047

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18138795 (external link)
...to press the submit button. (Pekka of course is heavy into B&D, thus the name of that button)

That is an image that's going to need a large amount of mental bleach to scrub out :eek:

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

jay125
on the happy gas
10,716 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 24, 2016 16:08 |  #3048

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18138401 (external link)
It seems just about everybody that doesn't have a fully featured touch screen on their Canon say this, then they get one and use it for a while, their minds almost always change. :)

That happened with the swively-flippy screen, too. I was an early adopter of the 60D, and almost all opinions were certain that the little flippy screen was going to break off at any minute. Now people are disappointed if a new Canon body doesn't have one.

feedback

gear list

STIC
Goldmember
1,627 posts
Gallery: 360 photos
Joined Oct 2012
Post edited over 3 years ago by STIC. (2 edits in all)

Sep 24, 2016 16:24 |  #3049
bannedPermanent ban

jay125 wrote in post #18139126 (external link)
Now people are disappointed if a new Canon body doesn't have one.

I'm NOT!

I think Canon needs to sort their s**t out, thin out the product line and produce some basic cameras for the low end of the market, a few middle of the range items and a few specific 'pro' lines...

Touch and flip screens do NOT belong on the pro lines...

7D MarkII l 50 1.8 STM l15-85 IS USM l 100-400 IS L l 2x converter l 580EX II l Wireless remote l A computer l Some software l A vehicle to get me around...;)

Mike
ugly when I'm sober
15,397 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Joined Nov 2006

Sep 24, 2016 16:29 |  #3050

STIC wrote in post #18139140 (external link)

I agree about the flip but the touch screen is a revelation and definitely belongs.

www.mikegreenphotograp​hy.co.uk (external link)
Gear
UK South Easterners
flickr (external link) Insta1 (external link) Insta2 (external link)

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

STIC
Goldmember
1,627 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Sep 24, 2016 16:30 |  #3051
bannedPermanent ban

Mike wrote in post #18139146 (external link)
I agree about the flip but the touch screen is a revelation and definitely belongs.

I'll give you that, provided, I have the option of turning it off and using the 'big boys' controls... :p

7D MarkII l 50 1.8 STM l15-85 IS USM l 100-400 IS L l 2x converter l 580EX II l Wireless remote l A computer l Some software l A vehicle to get me around...;)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,029 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 3 years ago by CyberDyneSystems. (2 edits in all)

Sep 24, 2016 16:35 |  #3052

STIC wrote in post #18139140 (external link)
I'm NOT!

I think Canon needs to sort their s**t out, thin out the product line and produce some basic cameras for the low end of the market, a few middle of the range items and a few specific 'pro' lines...

I think you are likely outvoted (and outdated) in this regard. Example, the most PRO camera one can buy, 1DxII, from where I sit it was clear the majority of buyers wanted MORE touch screen functionality. Not none.

In your world "getting their stuff sorted out" would likely mean alienating a majority of buyers. Sorry, but it's just true.

that said, for the touch screen, it would make sense to be able to turn it off completely for certain applications (and users!) :)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

STIC
Goldmember
1,627 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Sep 24, 2016 16:39 as a reply to  @ CyberDyneSystems's post |  #3053
bannedPermanent ban

Oh, I know...

It's a shame technology leads what people want instead of people's wants leading technology...

71sbeetle
Goldmember
3,475 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Sep 24, 2016 17:10 |  #3054

I never used the touchscreen on my SL1, thought it was a gimmick on the 5D4 but guess what, I actually use it a lot! Mostly for menus though not so much for image review

gareymartin.com (external link)
flickr (external link)
gear list | CPS.
eBay (external link) | POTN
VWVortex (external link)

STIC
Goldmember
1,627 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Sep 24, 2016 17:15 |  #3055
bannedPermanent ban

71sbeetle wrote in post #18139206 (external link)
I never used the touchscreen on my SL1, thought it was a gimmick on the 5D4 but guess what, I actually use it a lot! Mostly for menus though not so much for image review

Where as, while I haven't used a touch screen, I am more than happy with the toggle stick and dials and find they work very well and very fast...

If it ain't broke, spend the money on something that is...;-)a

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,351 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 24, 2016 17:21 |  #3056

STIC wrote in post #18139213 (external link)
Where as, while I haven't used a touch screen, I am more than happy with the toggle stick and dials and find they work very well and very fast...

If it ain't broke, spend the money on something that is...;-)a

No one's making you touch it. All the physical controls are still there.

I hear the same thing about touch screens on new laptops, yet Windows 10 has no requirement that you actually touch the touch screen.

STIC
Goldmember
1,627 posts
Joined Oct 2012
Post edited over 3 years ago by STIC.

Sep 24, 2016 17:39 |  #3057
bannedPermanent ban

mike_d wrote in post #18139221 (external link)
No one's making you touch it. All the physical controls are still there.

I hear the same thing about touch screens on new laptops, yet Windows 10 has no requirement that you actually touch the touch screen.

It'll probably come as no surprise to note that I still use XP, and refuse to use the later, awful OS's (except where i've had to install windoz 7 on the laptop to run the later DNG converter for 7DII raw's, so I can open them in photoshop CS3 (which I use as I have the entire CS3 design suite and don't want to spend more money for something I already have)).

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,029 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Sep 24, 2016 17:41 |  #3058

OMG he's even more grumpy than me! (still has XP running on two machines. There I said it, "Machines" ) lol :)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

STIC
Goldmember
1,627 posts
Joined Oct 2012
Post edited over 3 years ago by STIC. (3 edits in all)

Sep 24, 2016 17:44 |  #3059
bannedPermanent ban

No, still running XP on my main PC, 7 on the laptop which is used for nothing other than downloading images and converting raws to DNG's...:-D

Also, before anyone wants to ascribe some Luddite label to me, I should point out that I have been using a PC (pretty much, every day) since 1981...and switched to digital photography in the mid 90's (like, 20 years ago).

sploo
premature adulation
2,414 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 24, 2016 17:57 |  #3060

TBH From using a 60D, the screen sat in exactly the same position (though was occasionally useful to turn it round to protect the LCD). Except for those few occasions where being able to fold it out was immensely useful. Given the speed of DPAF on the modern bodies I can absolutely see shooting with Liveview becoming more useful, and having a tilting screen would occasionally be a great help. I certainly wouldn't consider it a bad thing for the 5D line to gain a folding screen.

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

sponsored links

821,406 views & 2,668 likes for this thread
Canon 5D Mark IV -- Time to Discuss!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.