Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 Aug 2016 (Wednesday) 21:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 5D Mark IV -- Time to Discuss!

Mike
ugly when I'm sober
15,397 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2006

Sep 26, 2016 09:32 |  #3196

I need to look more into it too...I have no idea what affect it has really! :oops:

www.mikegreenphotograp​hy.co.uk (external link)
Gear
UK South Easterners
flickr (external link) Insta1 (external link) Insta2 (external link)

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,108 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 3 years ago by TeamSpeed.

Sep 26, 2016 09:55 |  #3197

http://photo.stackexch​ange.com …le-the-size-of-a-raw-file (external link)

This will help, DLO altered raw is stored in the raw along with the original raw, it appears.

From Canon wrote:
Digital Photo Professional writes additional information for the DLO processing to the RAW image; the result is that the RAW image file will increase in size, often significantly.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,990 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 3 years ago by CyberDyneSystems. (2 edits in all)

Sep 26, 2016 10:23 |  #3198

MORE ON 5D4 Auto Focus:

Took the 5D4 with 100-400mm versionII and 1.4X MkII (that's a version two t-con) to the beach yesterday.

Here's a quick rule of thumb:

AF accuracy > FPS!!

With 1D4 or 7D2, I can shoot 10 frames per second. Since my first 1D (8FPS) I have been content with the hit rate in a burst during fast erratic action being maybe 50-60%. This is what I have come to expect while tracking fast moving subjects. Most of the missed shots can be attributed to my own ability to maintain the subject under the active AF points, etc,.

Looking at yesterdays RAW files, (forgot to put an SD in for jpegs too) I notice 100% hit rate!

I have not even delved into any of the AF settings beyond enabling expansion, which in this case is very few AF points do to not having a MkIII T-Con (only 9 AF points available)

This of course will prompt me to test FPS/focus tracking in more detail, but so far, it looks very good.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

don1163
Goldmember
1,000 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Joined May 2015

Sep 26, 2016 10:43 |  #3199

How does DLO work? I have never heard of it untill reading about it here...

1DX, 500L f4, 70-200L f2.8II, 100L f2.8 macro ,16-35 f4, 1.4xIII, Metz 64-AF1

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,254 posts
Gallery: 800 photos
Joined Apr 2009
Post edited over 3 years ago by MatthewK. (3 edits in all)

Sep 26, 2016 11:03 as a reply to  @ don1163's post |  #3200

According to Canon (http://web.canon.jp …ng/dlo/effect/i​ndex.html) (external link):

Canon wrote:
"After passing the lens and various filters, the light has diverted from the ideal condition as it reaches the image sensor where the image will be formed. This is due to the influence of factors such as aberrations, diffraction, and the low-pass filter. If these influences can be compensated for using highly precise and specific data, the result ideally would be the original and optimal image.

This is the unique principle behind the Digital Lens Optimizer. Factors contributing to optical image deterioration as the light passes through the lenses and filters in the camera were identified and converted into mathematical functions (optical transfer functions (OTF)). By applying the inverse functions to the captured image, the state of the light (image quality) can be returned to approach the state that the incident light had before entering the camera.

The factors such as aberrations, diffraction, and low-pass filter influence differ for different lenses and cameras, and they also are dependent on shooting parameters. The Digital Lens Optimizer therefore uses inverse functions that are carefully optimized and based on precise data. This makes it possible to compensate even for complex and asymmetric aberrations such as coma."

During my use, there were some instances where DLO significantly improved sharpness and clarity. But, it also really slows down the camera FPS. Prior to the 5D4, in order to apply DLO to images, you 'd have to use DPP. Now, it's available in-camera, which is awesome (because it means I can skip DPP).

I think I'm going to keep it on most of the time though, unless I am going to be shooting anything that'll require rapid fire FPS.

EDIT: that site also says that DLO isn't available when using extenders -? I'll verify that when I get home today..

Canon/Nikon/Fuji

sploo
premature adulation
2,414 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 26, 2016 11:06 |  #3201

MatthewK wrote in post #18140939 (external link)
According to Canon (http://web.canon.jp …ng/dlo/effect/i​ndex.html) (external link):

During my use, there were some instances where DLO significantly improved sharpness and clarity. But, it also really slows down the camera FPS. Prior to the 5D4, in order to apply DLO to images, you 'd have to use DPP. Now, it's available in-camera, which is awesome (because it means I can skip DPP).

I think I'm going to keep it on most of the time though, unless I am going to be shooting anything that'll require rapid fire FPS.

Is that true though (skipping DPP) or will another converter just see the original RAW data and ignore the added DLO correction information?

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,254 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 26, 2016 11:15 |  #3202

sploo wrote in post #18140945 (external link)
Is that true though (skipping DPP) or will another converter just see the original RAW data and ignore the added DLO correction information?

I hope not... I'll do a test later today and find out. Either the data is written into the RAW, or it's a side car.

Canon/Nikon/Fuji

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,087 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 26, 2016 11:30 |  #3203

I'm assuming DLO only works with canon glass?

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

freestylee30
796 posts
Gallery: 164 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 26, 2016 11:34 |  #3204

MatthewK wrote in post #18140948 (external link)
I hope not... I'll do a test later today and find out. Either the data is written into the RAW, or it's a side car.

Is DLO the same thing or part of the lens corrections?

With my 5Dmkiv and my Sigma 35A, shooting RAW with lens corrections enabled, I was seeing the weird rings on the image while reviewing on the LCD screen, as well as in DPP. However, these were nowhere to be found in Lightroom - so I'm guessing not everything that is stored in the RAW file is seen/used?

Brandon | zenfolio (external link)| ♥ feedback ♥
Eternal Blue Forever Green
Image Editing OK

CANON 5DIV 50 f/1.8 85 f/1.8 135 f/2L 70-200 f/2.8L IS II
ROKINON 14 f/2.8 | TAMRON 15-30 f/2.8 VC 24-70 f/2.8 VC | SIGMA 35 f/1.4 Art |

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,254 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 26, 2016 11:58 |  #3205

Talley wrote in post #18140959 (external link)
I'm assuming DLO only works with canon glass?

Yes, only with Canon glass.

freestylee30 wrote in post #18140963 (external link)
Is DLO the same thing or part of the lens corrections?

With my 5Dmkiv and my Sigma 35A, shooting RAW with lens corrections enabled, I was seeing the weird rings on the image while reviewing on the LCD screen, as well as in DPP. However, these were nowhere to be found in Lightroom - so I'm guessing not everything that is stored in the RAW file is seen/used?

That's rather telling then, that the DLO corrections aren't recognized by third party photo editing software. People over on FM say the RAW files aren't affected until you use DPP too.

Canon/Nikon/Fuji

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,087 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 26, 2016 12:00 |  #3206

My images are turning out great without it.... I'm moving on.

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

Keltab
912 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 26, 2016 13:10 |  #3207

Talley wrote in post #18140986 (external link)
My images are turning out great without it.... I'm moving on.

I like your attitude Talley - enjoy what you have and don't complain about the small things that don't impact your enjoyment of the tools you have. I wish more folks would think like that.

The Only Difference Between Ordinary and Extraordinary Is That Little Extra :D

Mike
ugly when I'm sober
15,397 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Sep 26, 2016 13:16 |  #3208

So having just shot a few images with DLO on I can say this: it's slow! I think it'll be good for landscape shooting but I'm turning it off.

Gear
UK South Easterners

Mike
ugly when I'm sober
15,397 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Sep 26, 2016 13:24 |  #3209

Here's the shot, from a series of 6, DLO makes about a second or two delay between shots, no good for an excited subject.

(jpeg transferred to phone via WiFi and Canon app, processed in Lr mobile)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Gear
UK South Easterners

jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,788 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 26, 2016 13:45 |  #3210

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18140904 (external link)
MORE ON 5D4 Auto Focus:

Took the 5D4 with 100-400mm versionII and 1.4X MkII (that's a version two t-con) to the beach yesterday.

Here's a quick rule of thumb:

AF accuracy > FPS!!

With 1D4 or 7D2, I can shoot 10 frames per second. Since my first 1D (8FPS) I have been content with the hit rate in a burst during fast erratic action being maybe 50-60%. This is what I have come to expect while tracking fast moving subjects. Most of the missed shots can be attributed to my own ability to maintain the subject under the active AF points, etc,.

Looking at yesterdays RAW files, (forgot to put an SD in for jpegs too) I notice 100% hit rate!

I have not even delved into any of the AF settings beyond enabling expansion, which in this case is very few AF points do to not having a MkIII T-Con (only 9 AF points available)

This of course will prompt me to test FPS/focus tracking in more detail, but so far, it looks very good.

What subject did you shoot and what AF settings?

Canon 5dmkIII | Canon 85L 1.2 | Sigma 35mm ART 1.4|Canon 16-35mm L 2.8 |Canon 24-70mm L f2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F2.8L MK2 | Canon 430EX MK2 Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

820,106 views & 2,668 likes for this thread
Canon 5D Mark IV -- Time to Discuss!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.