Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 22 Sep 2016 (Thursday) 11:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How many of you take good care of their camera equipment?

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
4,924 posts
Gallery: 76 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Sep 25, 2016 03:54 |  #46

TustinMike wrote in post #18138108 (external link)
At least three times (twice with the Mk I and once with my brand-new-at-the-time Mk II), my 7D body unexpectedly came off the lens to which it was mounted and smacked the concrete runway (an airport racetrack) hard. Each time, damage was only superficial and minor (some light scratching on a corner). Turned out that the cause was the Blackrapid dual-strap system, from which the 70 - 200 lens and 7D were hanging from, was on my right-hand-side and the camera body would hit my side in just the right way so as to push that button that releases the lens. Solution: switch the 7D camera to the left side. I haven't had a recurrence since changing sides.

That's the one complaint I have with BR, the camera/lens has a tendency to swing around or bump into my leg.
I had a lens hood come off, and the switches moved on my lens due to this bumping against my leg.

One must be careful.

When you see my camera gear you'll think I'm a pro.
When you see my photos you'll know that I'm not.

My best aviation photos (external link)

sponsored links
Pippan
Goldmember
2,692 posts
Gallery: 267 photos
Joined Oct 2015

Sep 25, 2016 03:55 |  #47

Talley wrote in post #18139330 (external link)
Well she seemed to be gear envious... I noticed her first and she seen me walking with my 200L at my sons game and she came up to me. After talking she did ask me why her photos where kind of fuzzy and such.

We've scheduled a shoot with her to shooot My wife, kids and myself. I may decipher if she needs any help but I'm not going to pry. If she asks I'll be more than glad to be an educator

I must say, Talley, I'm mystified why you, who has gear many of us can only dream about, would employ a photographer who's negligently damaged her own gear and by her own admission takes fuzzy pictures with it. I understand why you want someone else to do them but there are a lot of photographers around who could photograph your family with skill and the tools capable of producing the quality of photos you yourself are clearly capable of producing.

There are many answers to question.

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
4,924 posts
Gallery: 76 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Sep 25, 2016 03:57 |  #48

I have 3 expensive lenses: 24-70 f2.8 II, 70-200 f2.8 IS II, and the 300 f2.8 IS II.

I take good care of them by not letting others use them. Don't even ask to borrow one.

When you see my camera gear you'll think I'm a pro.
When you see my photos you'll know that I'm not.

My best aviation photos (external link)

the ­ hulk
"I am not that incredible nowadays"
253 posts
Joined Feb 2015
Post edited over 3 years ago by the hulk. (3 edits in all)

Sep 25, 2016 06:05 |  #49

The few pro photographer I know first hand use there photo gear as a set of tools. The equipment is very worn, beaten up to unrecognizable. Still the gear are working flawless and they make fantastic photos which brings income. Taking care of equipment takes time, time is money. They dont have any emotional relationship with the gear. Their ugly and beaten up gear are Canon bodys and lenses. Canon pro bodys and L-lenses are designed to withstand heavy use and of course there are some L-lenses that have design flaws like the 50L loose front element and the 24-105L defect ribbon cable and control unit.

The only reason I taking very good care of my own gear is that I am an amatuer and poor photographer who do not make money on photos and also diagnosed with a disease called GAS. I know that some day I have to sell my gear to finance my next purchase. Gear in mint condition bring more money.

welshwizard1971
Goldmember
1,452 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Sep 25, 2016 15:37 |  #50

Hogloff wrote in post #18139262 (external link)
Not really...I think people are free to treat their gear in any manner they choose. Who are you to tell someone else how to treat their gear?

Do you go around the neighborhood telling people with dandelions in their lawns they need to take better care of their lawns?

Do you got around telling people they should wash their cars?

Etc... etc...

If not...why should you care how this lady treats their gear.

So to recap, the OP says she is taking fuzzy pictures as her kit is broken, having never met the woman or seen any of her pictures, you say she is taking good pictures and that's all that counts.

You then have a go at me for telling people how they should treat their gear, but I've said no such thing, and then question who I am to be telling people what to do, whilst you're telling me what to do?

EOS R 5D III, 40D, 16-35L 35 ART 50 ART 100L macro, 24-70 L Mk2, 135L 200L 70-200L f4 IS
Hype chimping - The act of looking at your screen after every shot, then wildly behaving like it's the best picture in the world, to try and impress other photographers around you.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Sep 25, 2016 17:04 |  #51
bannedPermanent ban

welshwizard1971 wrote in post #18140140 (external link)
So to recap, the OP says she is taking fuzzy pictures as her kit is broken, having never met the woman or seen any of her pictures, you say she is taking good pictures and that's all that counts.
?

Reread the 2nd sentence of the 1st post by the OP...seems he thinks the photographer produces great photos...to the point I believe he is having her take portraits of his family.

So, I haven't ever met this women and never seen any of her photos...but I know how to READ!!!! and from what I've read...I deduce she can produce nice photos.

Talley
THREAD ­ STARTER
Talley Whacker
11,089 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 25, 2016 20:30 |  #52

Hogloff wrote in post #18140201 (external link)
Reread the 2nd sentence of the 1st post by the OP...seems he thinks the photographer produces great photos...to the point I believe he is having her take portraits of his family.

So, I haven't ever met this women and never seen any of her photos...but I know how to READ!!!! and from what I've read...I deduce she can produce nice photos.

Indeed she can. From what I've seen I'll be happy. BUT who knows how many photos she's had to binned because her equipment wasn't 100% operational due to her negligence.

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,435 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 25, 2016 21:19 |  #53

I am careful with my gear but not to a paranoid extreme. I don't throw them all loose and capless into a shopping bag, but I don't store them each in their own pelican case either.

welshwizard1971
Goldmember
1,452 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Sep 26, 2016 16:07 |  #54

Hogloff wrote in post #18140201 (external link)

I can read, and using this apparently unique ability between the two of us I was able to read the complete thread where she also takes fuzzy photographs due to her kit being broken, which was the whole point of the thread. But thank you for shouting, I do have a waxy build up in my left ear I keep meaning to get sorted, so much appreciated.

EOS R 5D III, 40D, 16-35L 35 ART 50 ART 100L macro, 24-70 L Mk2, 135L 200L 70-200L f4 IS
Hype chimping - The act of looking at your screen after every shot, then wildly behaving like it's the best picture in the world, to try and impress other photographers around you.

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 26, 2016 18:30 |  #55

My stuff is battered as it gets. They are just tools (insured and replaceable).

Peter

valdano
89 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Sep 26, 2016 19:07 |  #56

I'm gonna be honest and say I don't take very good care of my gears. I have a regular backpack and my Nikon, my 70-200 and 24-70 go right in. These things are tanks though so it's neither here nor there for me. I do keep my lens caps on to protect the glass, but as for dividers in bags and stuff like that, nah.

Updated: Nikon D700 || Nikon D700 || Nikon 35 1.8 || Nikon 50 1.8 || Nikon 85 1.8 || Nikkor 70-200 2.8 VRI

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,435 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Sep 26, 2016 20:11 |  #57

airfrogusmc wrote in post #18137682 (external link)
Sharpness is not the bar to judge what is or isn't but content is clearly one component to what is or isn't a good photograph and yes chauncey a 80kb compressed file on a web site is not any way to judge sharpness. And to what Tom is getting at my cameras are tools to be used not worn like an accessory. Here's what my 4 year old MM looks like after a lot of hard use.
QUOTED IMAGE

My Canon F-1 (decades of solid use)

QUOTED IMAGE

A trio of well used cameras. Hundreds of thousands of frames through each
QUOTED IMAGE

Heck, back in the day of brass camera tops, if you didn't have brass showing at the edges, you weren't a real photographer.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,659 posts
Gallery: 158 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Sep 26, 2016 22:17 |  #58

Most of Leica Ms still have brass tops.

panicatnabisco
972 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Apr 2012
Post edited over 3 years ago by panicatnabisco.

Sep 27, 2016 01:53 |  #59

They're tools, not trophies

Canon 1DX III | 1DX | 6D II | 6D | 16-35/2.8 II | 24-70/2.8 II | 35/1.4 II | 50/1.8 | 70-200/2.8 IS II | 85/1.4 IS | 100/2.8 IS macro | 200mm f/2 | 400/2.8 IS II | 2xIII
Leica M8.2 | Noctilux 50 f/1 | Elmarit 90/2.8
afimages.net (external link) | Facebook (external link) | instagram (external link)

armis
899 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2012

Sep 27, 2016 05:19 |  #60

I have lens caps, a bag with foam inserts, and a sensor pen. That's about as far as I go in taking care of my gear. Lenses get wiped with whatever's at hand - blower if I have it with me, but my t-shirt works fine otherwise. I change lenses when I need to, including in rain or dusty conditions. My cameras wear their dings and scratches with pride.

Fuji X-E2, 18-55 and 55-200 zooms, Samyang 12
www.wtbphoto.com (external link)

sponsored links

19,355 views & 84 likes for this thread
How many of you take good care of their camera equipment?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.