Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 27 Sep 2016 (Tuesday) 16:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Managing a photographic estate

CaliWalkabout
337 posts
Joined May 2010

Sep 27, 2016 16:16 |  #1

My uncle, who has terminal brain cancer, has asked me to take control of his photographic assets. He has been a serious nature photographer for many years and his photography is professional quality. He shot slides for years before going digital. I'm wondering if anyone on the forum has experience managing another photographer's estate in this way. It would be helpful to hear about other peoples' experiences - if there are lessons learned during the process, things I should avoid, etc.

It seems likely that I'll have a lot of leeway in how I approach this. Unfortunately, my uncle isn't able to specify his exact wishes. I expect the only person I'll have to answer to is his estate attorney.

There are a lot of complicating factors related to digital photography in someone's estate, especially when the photographer can't help with technicalities like passwords or whether his digital files are located on an external drive or stored on the cloud. I can't imagine anyone storing all their raw files on the cloud, it just doesn't make sense to me, but maybe that's how he did it.

6D, 17-40L, 24L II, 50L, 100L, 70-300L.

sponsored links
Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 27, 2016 16:55 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

For starters, I'd get the passwords ASAP and get the stuff out of the flimsy cloud and backed up to media on site, possibly even printed out (yes, it ain't gonna be cheap, but as manager you are now master archivist ;) ).

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,217 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Sep 30, 2016 06:33 |  #3

CaliWalkabout wrote in post #18142047 (external link)
My uncle, who has terminal brain cancer, has asked me to take control of his photographic assets.

You have been asked to take control of them by the current owner. However who will actually inherit them/own them when he dies? Is he actually leaving them (as in copyright ownership) to you or to someone else? Do you have a good relationship with this person?

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011
Post edited over 2 years ago by Alveric.

Sep 30, 2016 09:35 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

Methinks that the copyright will be the "Estate of ABC XYZ" legal entity's.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

OhLook
Spiderwoman
18,232 posts
Gallery: 73 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 30, 2016 11:29 |  #5

CaliW., it's important to know whether your uncle's wishes for his photographic materials are written into his will, if indeed he's made one. An oral request or promise has a shaky status when a deceased person's property is distributed.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,217 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Sep 30, 2016 17:34 |  #6

Alveric wrote in post #18144470 (external link)
Methinks that the copyright will be the "Estate of ABC XYZ" legal entity's.

Yes but only until the executors distribute the estate, at which point the copyright belongs to whoever they were bequeathed to. If they weren't specifically bequeathed to someone the executor could split the collection or even sell it.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

kjonnnn
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Oct 03, 2016 12:39 |  #7

You speak of his "photographic estate" as if it is some separate entity. Its not. Its all a part of your Uncle's assets or estate should he pass. While he is alive, who has power of attorney? Is there a will? If there is a will, and his photographic work is passed to you, your life will be easier. If there is no will, or his photographic work isnt specifically mentioned or is included under "all other assets," his photographic work (and copyright) will pass to those in the line of success in his state. (Usually thats spouse > children > parents > siblings > other relatives. Google "inheritance succession [UNCLE'S STATE] ). If some relative ahead of you deems his work valuable, you're in for a fight if some administrator just gives you your uncle's work. The Administrative would be advised to follow the line of success.

All that is to say, before you put alot of work into managing his work, do your due diligence to see if its going to pass to you legally.

CaliWalkabout
THREAD ­ STARTER
337 posts
Joined May 2010

Oct 04, 2016 14:35 |  #8

Thanks for the input so far. I'm an attorney so I'm not unaware of the technicalities on the legal side regarding how things are documented. I'm mostly exploring strategies for approaching management of another person's photography collection.

6D, 17-40L, 24L II, 50L, 100L, 70-300L.

frozenframe
Goldmember
1,636 posts
Gallery: 175 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jun 2013

Oct 07, 2016 06:08 |  #9

CaliWalkabout wrote in post #18148303 (external link)
Thanks for the input so far. I'm an attorney so I'm not unaware of the technicalities on the legal side regarding how things are documented. I'm mostly exploring strategies for approaching management of another person's photography collection.

Since you are an attorney, IMHO, you should seek out another attorney, one that specializes in the arts, fine-arts, graphic illustrations. Did your uncle shoot professionally? Were any of images licensed to others, such as publications, for advertising, anything? Managing and maintaining releases and copyright registrations would be very, very important since they should be kept FOREVER. IIRC copyright is good for 75 yrs past the death of the author.

Ron
My Gear List

sponsored links

2,145 views & 3 likes for this thread
Managing a photographic estate
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.