Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 30 Sep 2016 (Friday) 11:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Easy ways to hand out a release?

aniewalshphotography
55 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2016

Sep 30, 2016 11:05 |  #1

Hi all.

I'm new to the business and I've already found myself in a few predicaments on how to easily have a release handy for someone to sign. I have a release template made up now online and in a printable form but it takes up a whole sheet of paper. My wheels got turning, and I thought what if I printed a release blurb on something as small as a business card where I could have them sign it quickly - like think almost street photography where I'm strolling along and ask to snap a picture of someone. I don't want to make a "big" deal of it and want it to be a simple exchange.

I don't know...just wondering if anyone does anything creative here and looking for ideas. Might be a waste of time but worth asking!

Thanks in advance!

Also - any recommendations on a good website for ordering business cards?

sponsored links
Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,194 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Sep 30, 2016 17:38 |  #2

1. You wouldn't be able to get all the text needed in a release onto a business card in a readable form.

2. What are you planning to do with the images that requires a release?

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,725 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 30, 2016 20:35 |  #3

How about an app?

I know there are several out for iOS such as easy release and release me. If you're an android user then I'm sure there are release apps for them as well.

Scott ­ Spellman
203 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2015
Post edited over 2 years ago by Scott Spellman. (2 edits in all)

Oct 01, 2016 03:42 |  #4

A model release benefits the photographer-not the subject. Most people will quickly realize there is no benefit for themselves. Even if the document is small, almost no stranger will sign a contract without payment.

It's important to realize that a model release is only required for advertising use or explicit endorsement. So use in commercial advertising requires a model release, but use on your website or fine art prints does not. This Professional Photographers of America document shows that Minnesota has no written Privacy Laws, but recognizes privacy laws as part of larger common law and may not need a model release in every case.

https://www.ppa.com …odelreleasewhit​epaper.pdf (external link)

Most photographers understand that every commercial use requires the hiring of a models and signed model releases, but almost every other type of use does not. If you never use photos of a model to sell or endorse a commercial product or in a situation that defames or embarrasses them-then you will have very little risk of a lawsuit.

-Scott

kjonnnn
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Oct 01, 2016 16:11 |  #5

If a stranger walked up to me and asked me to sign something, I'm not signing it, regardless of size and ease. I'm walking away.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,045 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 04, 2016 15:47 |  #6

In the past, when I tried to ask someone to sign a release, they immediately realized that perhaps I was making money from the sale (licensure) of the images, and each time, the person said they would sign the release if they could re-write the terms to entitle them to one half of the money from any resultant image sales. When I said that I couldn't do that, they had no interest in having their picture taken, and refused to sign.

I honestly don't see how any photographers get people to sign releases without giving away all of their profits - in todays world, people are very savvy and aggressive whenever it comes to potential ways to get money for themselves.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Oct 04, 2016 17:35 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

Maybe that's why traveling to third world, 'exotic' countries is popular photography-wise: you get to shoot whoemver you want and no releases needed (unless you want to sell through a stock agency, of course).

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 04, 2016 18:09 |  #8

There are model release apps that allow you to collect signatures on your phone or tablet. When I model for our local photography clubs, many of the photographers use these.

I'm usually happy to sign, as the terms of the club membership also dictate that the photographers provide the models with high-res images and a license for personal and self-promotional use.

If you're just approaching strangers on the street, I doubt they'd be so quick to sign away their right to publicity.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,296 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Oct 04, 2016 18:15 |  #9

Threads like these make me realize that it's a pain in the ass to shoot human beings lol... thank goodness other than my family, all my living subjects have 4 legs or feathers!

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Oct 04, 2016 19:38 |  #10
bannedPermanent ban

Scrumhalf wrote in post #18148491 (external link)
Threads like these make me realize that it's a pain in the ass to shoot human beings lol... thank goodness other than my family, all my living subjects have 4 legs or feathers!

The only time you really need to worry about this is if you will be using the images for advertisement or promotional material. I've shot human beings all over this globe without a release, made books, posted online etc... but I don't plan on using the images for advertisement of any kind...or selling them to companies that will use them for advertisements or some other commercial usage.

I personally don't find it a pain in the ass shooting humans...I find it very challenging and rewarding.

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,296 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Jul 2012
Post edited over 2 years ago by Scrumhalf.

Oct 04, 2016 19:46 |  #11

Yeah, I was just being facetoous. Ive taken lots of "street" shots too, but no plans to usecany commercially.

But I've got to say, if someone random walked up to me and dangled a release form in front of me, there's no way I am signing.

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

frozenframe
Goldmember
1,636 posts
Gallery: 175 photos
Joined Jun 2013

Oct 06, 2016 20:39 |  #12

Hogloff wrote in post #18148541 (external link)
The only time you really need to worry about this is if you will be using the images for advertisement or promotional material. I've shot human beings all over this globe without a release, made books, posted online etc... but I don't plan on using the images for advertisement of any kind...or selling them to companies that will use them for advertisements or some other commercial usage.

I personally don't find it a pain in the ass shooting humans...I find it very challenging and rewarding.

This is not accurate. Even if you are going post them on your website, share on social media, you should have a release. This is what a lawyer that has a very successful business in NY, that has successfully sued photographers numerous times, for these things. He specializes in this stuff. Google Edward C. Greenburg, J.D.

Oh he also states to not, ever trust advise posted on forums by other photographers.

Ron
My Gear List

PhotosGuy
75,774 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Oct 06, 2016 20:46 |  #13

frozenframe wrote in post #18150332 (external link)
This is not accurate. Even if you are going post them on your website, share on social media, you should have a release. This is what a lawyer that has a very successful business in NY, that has successfully sued photographers numerous times, for these things. He specializes in this stuff. Google Edward C. Greenburg, J.D.

Oh he also states to not, ever trust advise posted on forums by other photographers.

The fact is that you can be sued for anything even when you're in the right. Even winning can be expensive.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 06, 2016 20:59 |  #14

PhotosGuy wrote in post #18150338 (external link)
The fact is that you can be sued for anything even when you're in the right. Even winning can be expensive.

Yup.

Winning in court is about who has the better lawyer; it has little to do with laws or statutes or who's "right."

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

seanlockephotography
67 posts
Joined Aug 2014

Oct 07, 2016 05:55 |  #15

frozenframe wrote in post #18150332 (external link)

You certainly don't need a release for that. Case in point - any news site or station that ever existed.

sponsored links

5,195 views & 8 likes for this thread
Easy ways to hand out a release?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.