Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 Aug 2016 (Wednesday) 21:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 5D Mark IV -- Time to Discuss!

rebop
528 posts
Joined May 2005

Oct 03, 2016 20:17 |  #3586

OK, must admit I have not read all of this thread. Quite a bit, but not all.

I was very unhappy with my 5D MK III. Yep. I was the one. I'm sure you knew there was one shooter who sold it a few weeks after it was released:) I legitimately felt the images from my 5D II were much superior and after I bought a feature poor but image high 6D to replace it. I am now considering a 5D IV.

Couple of questions:

How is the dynamic range? This was my number 1 complaint with the III. 1 DX much superior and even the 6D and 5D II in my opinion.

Is the exposure in evaluative still highly weighted toward the focus point? That was the second deal breaker. Can it be changed in the IV?

And last, will an L-Bracket from 5D III work on a 5 D IV? Seems it should. Anyone tried? Obviously not a deal breaker on this one.

Thanks.

~Bob

I'm Bob and I'm an L-coholic
1DX - 6D - G5 X
16-35
L - 24-105 L - 24-70 II L
70-200 2.8 L - 70-300 L - 100 2.8 L Macro

sponsored links
LJ3Jim
Goldmember
1,077 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Oct 03, 2016 20:18 |  #3587

sploo wrote in post #18147299 (external link)
...By the time I took the two shots shown below I was working under bulb light - hence the noise, but daylight or bulb, handheld or tripod, the results are consistent.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by sploo in
./showthread.php?p=181​47299&i=i146284441
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

...This is pretty much what I get with all shots (with some minor AF variation, of course). AF with Liveview and it's bang on.

I don't know if this helps or not, or if it's even a valid test. I used my 100-400 II at 400mm and f/5.6. I used a tripod and set it up to photograph a flat fence post. The focal plane of the camera was about 36 inches from the fence (ie, min focus distance for the 100-400 II). According to a depth of field calculator, the dof is just 0.02" for that setup. MFA for the lens was 0. I took shots using the left, center, and right focus points of the center horizontal row. Every shot I took was tack sharp over the entire image. I also did the test from 12 feet away and got the same results.

Image editing ok; C&C always welcome.

STIC
Goldmember
1,627 posts
Gallery: 360 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2012

Oct 03, 2016 20:24 |  #3588
bannedPermanent ban

sploo wrote in post #18147386 (external link)
Granted, but what happens if I pull the gamble handle again and get the same issue? I could just spend forever swapping cameras -?

I've mailed the service centre with the details and I'll see what they suggest.

I'd be sending it back with, as I said, a big hint from me to check the replacement BEFORE sending it out to me, and, should the replacement be defective, then the same situation would occur, except that time, I would be speaking to a senior person at Canon before I expected the next body to arrive!

7D MarkII l 50 1.8 STM l15-85 IS USM l 100-400 IS L l 2x converter l 580EX II l Wireless remote l A computer l Some software l A vehicle to get me around...;)

Trvlr323
Goldmember
3,270 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 03, 2016 20:30 |  #3589

rebop wrote in post #18147554 (external link)

I was very unhappy with my 5D MK III. Yep. I was the one. I'm sure you knew there was one shooter who sold it a few weeks after it was released:) I legitimately felt the images from my 5D II were much superior and after I bought a feature poor but image high 6D to replace it. I am now considering a 5D IV.

Couple of questions:

How is the dynamic range? This was my number 1 complaint with the III. 1 DX much superior and even the 6D and 5D II in my opinion.

Is the exposure in evaluative still highly weighted toward the focus point? That was the second deal breaker. Can it be changed in the IV?

And last, will an L-Bracket from 5D III work on a 5 D IV? Seems it should. Anyone tried? Obviously not a deal breaker on this one.

Thanks.

~Bob

Interesting. People usually found the DR between the 5D2 and 5D3 a wash at lower ISO values. I seem to recall a lot of reviews making that point too. Anyway, to answer your questions the DR is fantastic. For most purposes it is on par with any other sensor out there. Lots of shadow recovery tests floating around the forum. I wasn't unhappy with the DR on the 5D3 but in testing I can see a huge difference on the 5D4. I mean HUGE. I can't say for sure about the focus point weighted metering but the metering system is a whole new animal and I find the camera meters much better than the 5D3 in just about every scenario. Can't speak to the L bracket, sorry. I'd give the 5D4 a spin. You'll likely be impressed.

Sometimes not taking a photograph can be as problematic as taking one. - Alex Webb

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,341 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 03, 2016 20:33 |  #3590

According to what I've read, it will fit, but doesn't allow the battery door to open enough to get a battery in or out.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,927 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Oct 03, 2016 20:58 |  #3591

And last, will an L-Bracket from 5D III work on a 5 D IV? ...
~Bob

mike_d wrote in post #18147570 (external link)
According to what I've read, it will fit, but doesn't allow the battery door to open enough to get a battery in or out.

Bob, you ask about "an L bracket" but aren't specific about brand.

I am the one that tested the RRS L bracket and it fits perfectly, with the same exception that Mike pointed out.

The RRS bracket is just slightly too long on the bottom for the 5D4's new battery door placement for the door to open far enough to replace a battery.

It is so close, the only change appears to e this mm move of the location of the battery door.
I would not be at all surprised if some of the other brand L brackets fit without this problem, but I don't have another brand to try.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

rebop
528 posts
Joined May 2005

Oct 03, 2016 21:07 |  #3592

nqjudo wrote in post #18147566 (external link)
Interesting. People usually found the DR between the 5D2 and 5D3 a wash at lower ISO values. I seem to recall a lot of reviews making that point too. Anyway, to answer your questions the DR is fantastic. For most purposes it is on par with any other sensor out there. Lots of shadow recovery tests floating around the forum. I wasn't unhappy with the DR on the 5D3 but in testing I can see a huge difference on the 5D4. I mean HUGE. I can't say for sure about the focus point weighted metering but the metering system is a whole new animal and I find the camera meters much better than the 5D3 in just about every scenario. Can't speak to the L bracket, sorry. I'd give the 5D4 a spin. You'll likely be impressed.

Thanks for that. Encouraging and I may just have to buy one and check it out.

1DX - 6D - G5 X
16-35

rebop
528 posts
Joined May 2005
Post edited over 3 years ago by rebop.

Oct 03, 2016 21:10 |  #3593

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18147589 (external link)
Bob, you ask about "an L bracket" but aren't specific about brand.

I am the one that tested the RRS L bracket and it fits perfectly, with the same exception that Mike pointed out.

The RRS bracket is just slightly too long on the bottom for the 5D4's new battery door placement for the door to open far enough to replace a battery.

It is so close, the only change appears to e this mm move of the location of the battery door.
I would not be at all surprised if some of the other brand L brackets fit without this problem, but I don't have another brand to try.

Cool, thanks. I had never thought about the battery door. Usually the issue is the ports and covers. I have a Neewer, if it matters. Can always buy a new one, but nice if what I have had in storage works. But as mentioned, first two considerations much more important to me. Appreciate the reply.

~Bob

1DX - 6D - G5 X
16-35

George ­ Zip
My neighbours are looking at me a bit strangely
1,394 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Aug 2015

Oct 03, 2016 21:12 |  #3594

Couple of questions:

Thanks.

~Bob

Hey man

Have a look here https://photography-on-the.net …ead.php?t=14668​88&page=31

I posted an example of shadow recovery that may be of interest

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,927 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Oct 03, 2016 21:39 |  #3595

lol, I just turned my 7D2 off and on again three times because "the touch screen was frozen" !! :)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

George ­ Zip
1,394 posts
Joined Aug 2015

Oct 03, 2016 21:54 |  #3596

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18147621 (external link)
lol, I just turned my 7D2 off and on again three times because "the touch screen was frozen" !! :)

I kept touching the screen on the weekend.

Its amazing how quickly you get used to something

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,927 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Oct 03, 2016 21:55 |  #3597

George Zip wrote in post #18147638 (external link)
I kept touching the screen on the weekend.

Please, leave your personal life out of it.. :)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

George ­ Zip
1,394 posts
Joined Aug 2015

Oct 03, 2016 21:57 |  #3598

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18147640 (external link)
Please, leave your personal life out of it.. :)

But it feels good against my skin.

So good

LJ3Jim
Goldmember
1,077 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Oct 03, 2016 22:19 |  #3599

My 5D4 has a touchscreen? ;-)a

Image editing ok; C&C always welcome.

flashpoint99
411 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Oct 03, 2016 23:28 |  #3600

Do the pocket wizards still not work on the mark 4?

sponsored links

814,155 views & 2,668 likes for this thread
Canon 5D Mark IV -- Time to Discuss!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.