Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 Aug 2016 (Wednesday) 21:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 5D Mark IV -- Time to Discuss!

Trvlr323
Goldmember
3,290 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 05, 2016 19:31 |  #3691

white venom wrote in post #18149391 (external link)
Is anyone having issues importing RAW images into lightroom? I usually have to cancel the import and do it a second time for the images to show a regular sized preview.

No such troubles on my system. I do notice that it takes a lot longer to build the previews though.

Sometimes not taking a photograph can be as problematic as taking one. - Alex Webb

sponsored links
sourcehill
481 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Aug 2013

Oct 06, 2016 00:10 |  #3692

Why is exposure compensation such a big deal to have in manual. Isn't the exposure compensation at that point your shutter speed while you're in manual? Lol. What am I missing?

I've seen this come up a few times and always wondered.

I like gear and I have too much.
Check out my current work on Instagram @immichaelcarmen
redwoodandrye.com

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,352 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 06, 2016 00:14 |  #3693

sourcehill wrote in post #18149550 (external link)
Why is exposure compensation such a big deal to have in manual. Isn't the exposure compensation at that point your shutter speed while you're in manual? Lol. What am I missing?

I've seen this come up a few times and always wondered.

This has been discussed a lot. In manual mode with auto ISO, you lock down the aperture and shutter speed and let the camera pick the ISO. What happens if the camera under or over exposes? You can bias the exposure by adjusting the shutter speed because the camera will just raise or lower the ISO to obtain the same exposure as before. EC in M with auto ISO fixes that.

jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,788 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Oct 06, 2016 02:02 |  #3694

George Zip wrote in post #18149330 (external link)
hmmm.... like I said, I "tested" this myself when I got mine. All I did was take some shots of stuff the outer focus points and inspected the images and they looked fine to me.

me too. all fine for me also

Canon 5dmkIII | Canon 85L 1.2 | Sigma 35mm ART 1.4|Canon 16-35mm L 2.8 |Canon 24-70mm L f2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F2.8L MK2 | Canon 430EX MK2 Flickr (external link)

Neilyb
Cream of the Crop
5,192 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Oct 06, 2016 02:22 |  #3695

Tommydigi wrote in post #18149289 (external link)
I agree the 7D2 is a great value. I still use my 5d2 too, honestly I'm happy with the image quality of both cameras.

I've been looking at some reviews of the 5d4 online and many are saying its still not up to the Sony A7RII and thats a bit disappointing considering the Sony has been out for a while. Also seems many are complaining about the video, but I don't shoot much video.

The A7R2 is a whole lot of camera in a small package. As my A7R packed up and the 5D4 was announced I had to make a choice. The Sony A7R2 as my main walk around/landscape body but not really suitable for wildlife due to slower AF on adapted lenses or the 5D4 which I could use for landscapes (30MP and decent DR is enough) and also wildlife with all my teles.

I will miss focus peaking, manual focus lenses half the size of the Canon equiv, all that lovely DR and uncompressed RAW files. Not to mention no AA filter, bags of detail and all in a small body. I do not do much video, so non of those options are an issue here but the A7R2 tends to overheat when shooting 4K full frame. The 5D4 crops to 1.6x and so far, does not overheat.

Maybe when the A7R3 (or A9 or whatever) is out and used A7r2's drop in price I might grab one again. 5D4 has much better low ISO DR, but it is not class leading. A7R2 has class leading IQ but will not drive my 500f4 (unless I am shooting dead snails). For me it came down to all round usage and the need for a quieter shutter than the 1Dx has (when I need it).

http://natureimmortal.​blogspot.com (external link)

http://www.natureimmor​tal.com (external link)

AdamJL
Goldmember
4,365 posts
Joined May 2006

Oct 06, 2016 05:24 |  #3696

Neilyb wrote in post #18149606 (external link)
A7R2 has class leading IQ but will not drive my 500f4 (unless I am shooting dead snails).

Looking forward to the pics.

Gear

Neilyb
Cream of the Crop
5,192 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Oct 06, 2016 06:00 |  #3697

AdamJL wrote in post #18149642 (external link)
Looking forward to the pics.

Me too! :p

http://natureimmortal.​blogspot.com (external link)

http://www.natureimmor​tal.com (external link)

sourcehill
481 posts
Joined Aug 2013
Post edited over 3 years ago by sourcehill.

Oct 06, 2016 08:54 |  #3698

mike_d wrote in post #18149553 (external link)
This has been discussed a lot. In manual mode with auto ISO, you lock down the aperture and shutter speed and let the camera pick the ISO. What happens if the camera under or over exposes? You can bias the exposure by adjusting the shutter speed because the camera will just raise or lower the ISO to obtain the same exposure as before. EC in M with auto ISO fixes that.

Makes sense. So not FULLY manual where you're setting all three segments of the exposure triangle.

Thanks for making me understand!

I like gear and I have too much.
Check out my current work on Instagram @immichaelcarmen
redwoodandrye.com

Philihase
201 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2013

Oct 06, 2016 09:05 |  #3699

I see the 5D4 has a different lever to the 7D2 for skipping through the focus spot/ zone settings. Don´t know if you can set it to exposure compensation coupled with the top wheel like the 7D2 one but if you can and dont really use it for the focus zone settings I find it a good way of setting compensation in M with autoiso . Just a tip someone might find helpfull if it indeed works like the 7D2.

https://www.facebook.c​om …e-Photos-852961268075109/ (external link)

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,087 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Oct 06, 2016 09:35 |  #3700

I still have this major problem with like 99% of my photos are in focus tack sharp...

Does anyone else have this issue?

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

Trvlr323
Goldmember
3,290 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 06, 2016 09:45 |  #3701

Talley wrote in post #18149771 (external link)
I still have this major problem with like 99% of my photos are in focus tack sharp...

Same problem here but I also noticed that I already have dust on my sensor. Lucky I'm still within my exchange period ;-)a

Sometimes not taking a photograph can be as problematic as taking one. - Alex Webb

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,087 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Dec 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by Talley. (2 edits in all)

Oct 06, 2016 09:47 |  #3702

nqjudo wrote in post #18149779 (external link)
Same problem here but I also noticed that I already have dust on my sensor. Lucky I'm still within my exchange period ;-)a

I dumped a bunch of dust on mine the day I got it just so I can see how affective the automatic cleaning system works. It works great but it scewed up all my missed focus shots and now they are just always in focus and forces me to shoot less because it simply isn't needing to take double shots anymore :cry:

Edit: To the guy who buys my used 5D4 in 4-5 years this was just a joke.... I did not dump dust onto my sensor but the photos are all blurry :rolleyes: :p

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,044 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Oct 06, 2016 11:24 |  #3703

Tommydigi wrote in post #18149252 (external link)
To the 5d4 owners. What do you like/dislike about it? Worth the upgrade from the 3?

Very much worth the upgrade.

Most Obvious Likes:

- The big surprise is the AF system, which sharing the AF of it's big brother the 1Dx2, is superior in many ways to anything else out there! Makes all my lenses AF faster and seem more accurate.

- Part of that AF improvement is full use of AF system @ F/8 and NO perceivable slow down in AF when T-Cons are added!!!

- The DR and noise handling improvements are fantastic, and frankly I was a little surprised to be impressed by what 50% more pixels can do.

- The menu system and customization are also amazing.

- Touch screen is very helpful.

- Built in WiFi and GPS

Most Obvious Dislikes:

- Reduced battery life vs. 5D3 and even 7D2 from what I can tell.

- I like the AF Area controller on the 7D2 much better, Much easier to get to when you are looking through the viewfinder on the 7D2.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Tommydigi
Cream of the Crop
5,618 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined May 2010

Oct 06, 2016 11:37 |  #3704

Thanks Jake, I really like the 7d2 but funny I often still use center point autofocus because of all my years on a 5d2. I'll probably make the jump and make my wife happy since she will get the 5d2.

Website (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link)
Canon 5DII • 7DII • G7XII • 24LII • 50L • 100L • 135L • 40 STM • 16-35L F4 IS • 100-400L II • 600EX II • 270 EX II

71sbeetle
Goldmember
3,477 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 06, 2016 11:44 |  #3705

Talley wrote in post #18149771 (external link)

Not me, could it be because I use center spot af most of the time? Maybe I should try something else?

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18149898 (external link)
Very much worth the upgrade.

Most Obvious Likes:

- The big surprise is the AF system, which sharing the AF of it's big brother the 1Dx2, is superior in many ways to anything else out there! Makes all my lenses AF faster and seem more accurate.

- Part of that AF improvement is full use of AF system @ F/8 and NO perceivable slow down in AF when T-Cons are added!!!

- The DR and noise handling improvements are fantastic, and frankly I was a little surprised to be impressed by what 50% more pixels can do.

- The menu system and customization are also amazing.

- Touch screen is very helpful.

- Built in WiFi and GPS

Most Obvious Dislikes:

- Reduced battery life vs. 5D3 and even 7D2 from what I can tell.

- I like the AF Area controller on the 7D2 much better, Much easier to get to when you are looking through the viewfinder on the 7D2.

Personally I haven't seen a decrease in battery life and I use the GPS, took over 900 shots over 3 days and both batteries were still in the 80% range.

gareymartin.com (external link)
flickr (external link)
gear list | CPS.
eBay (external link) | POTN
VWVortex (external link)

sponsored links

822,479 views & 2,668 likes for this thread
Canon 5D Mark IV -- Time to Discuss!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.