Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 07 Oct 2016 (Friday) 09:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

PP question on workflow..

EightEleven
Car enthusiast and an all around nice guy
1,675 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Oct 07, 2016 09:19 |  #1

Hello all,
Currently I have the Adobe CC plan as well as Canon DPP.
Always shoot raw and if the images are easy or just do not need anything more than conversion to Jpeg I use DPP for those as I feel Lightroom destroys my photo sharpness.
I feel if DPP could do layer and such similar to PS I would use that exclusively.

So currently I will import the images into Lightroom. I like how that works and where it stores them. (I do have Bridge downloaded but have not used it once.)
I go through ALL photos and flag keepers for retouch.
I then export one image at a time to Photoshop for camera raw filter and adjust the sharpness and exposure. If the photo needs any cloning or adjustment layers I will do that and maybe mask for a background color correction.
So from there, I will Ctl-s to save back to lightroom.
But I really want to keep that file as maybe a PSD or (Tiff?) so I can adjust these layers later if needed.
Where Should I save that?
I really enjoy the export feature of Lightroom so that's why I send it there after Photoshop adjustments.

So thank you for reading, I am open to any thoughts you may have.
Thank you
Ron

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Ron Snarski
flickr (external link)
C&C always welcome!

sponsored links
nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 07, 2016 09:38 |  #2

As far as I know, Adobe Camera Raw is the same in Lightroom as it is in Photoshop.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,836 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 07, 2016 10:43 |  #3

EightEleven wrote in post #18150721 (external link)
Hello all,
Currently I have the Adobe CC plan as well as Canon DPP.
Always shoot raw and if the images are easy or just do not need anything more than conversion to Jpeg I use DPP for those as I feel Lightroom destroys my photo sharpness.
I feel if DPP could do layer and such similar to PS I would use that exclusively.

So currently I will import the images into Lightroom. I like how that works and where it stores them. (I do have Bridge downloaded but have not used it once.)
I go through ALL photos and flag keepers for retouch.
I then export one image at a time to Photoshop for camera raw filter and adjust the sharpness and exposure. If the photo needs any cloning or adjustment layers I will do that and maybe mask for a background color correction.
So from there, I will Ctl-s to save back to lightroom.
But I really want to keep that file as maybe a PSD or (Tiff?) so I can adjust these layers later if needed.
Where Should I save that?

I really enjoy the export feature of Lightroom so that's why I send it there after Photoshop adjustments.

So thank you for reading, I am open to any thoughts you may have.

Thank you
Ron
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by EightEleven in
./showthread.php?p=181​50721&i=i38019043
forum: RAW, Post Processing & Printing

I am really struggling to understand your workflow here.

Using the Camera Raw Filter in Photoshop is just the same as using Lightroom.
When you save the image Photoshop will automatically save it as a TIFF file which will be stored in the same location as the original RAW file.

I've just caught my wedding vegetables in the flange!!!

Hen3Ry
Goldmember
1,061 posts
Joined Nov 2009
Post edited over 3 years ago by Hen3Ry.

Oct 07, 2016 10:49 |  #4

john crossley wrote in post #18150797 (external link)
I am really struggling to understand your workflow here.

Using the Camera Raw Filter in Photoshop is just the same as using Lightroom.
When you save the image Photoshop will automatically save it as a TIFF file which will be stored in the same location as the original RAW file.

But for your workflow (as stated), you can just as easily save it as a Photoshop file. No need for Tiff at all, and no real point, or for Lightroom for that matter. Your work in Lightroom is just as easily done in PS.

Je n'avais pas besoin de cette hypothèse-là.

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,836 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 07, 2016 11:05 |  #5

Hen3Ry wrote in post #18150800 (external link)
But for your workflow (as stated), you can just as easily save it as a Photoshop file. No need for Tiff at all, and no real point, or for Lightroom for that matter. Your work in Lightroom is just as easily done in PS.

Aye, apart from the fact that the OP wants to use Lightroom.

I've just caught my wedding vegetables in the flange!!!

EightEleven
THREAD ­ STARTER
Car enthusiast and an all around nice guy
1,675 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Oct 07, 2016 11:14 |  #6

Thanks everyone for helping out.. SO in my opinion, Camera raw filter in PS seems to give better sharpening results than the sharpening slider in LR..
Of course the major downfall of using just PS is the image preview (que Adobe Bridge), as well as the "Brush" in LR is sooooo nice and fast.. In PS those little adjustments such as teeth whitening and such will require a new layer of it's own..

Anyway, I was just wondering if there was a way to speed things up as opposed to bouncing back and forth between PS and LR..

Ron Snarski
flickr (external link)
C&C always welcome!

Hen3Ry
Goldmember
1,061 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 08, 2016 10:26 |  #7

EightEleven wrote in post #18150824 (external link)
Anyway, I was just wondering if there was a way to speed things up as opposed to bouncing back and forth between PS and LR..

Yup. Don't use LR - get a faster computer. :)

Je n'avais pas besoin de cette hypothèse-là.

DagoImaging
Goldmember
1,936 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Oct 08, 2016 16:42 |  #8

LR = Camera RAW....while you might think there is a difference in sharpening, I'd venture to bet there isn't.

Also, why sharpen your image prior to processing? Usually it's the last step, not the first.

In LR do your adjustments and then Edit in Photoshop CC. Do not export. This will take your edits in LR into PS and then do your processing. Then hit Save and based on your settings in PS it will save it as a PSD or TIFF back to LR. Then you can do further edits/sharpening in LR on your PSD/TIFF.

Sony a6300/ 16-70/4 / 70-200/4 G / Sony HVL-60M

Bcaps
I was a little buzzed when I took this
944 posts
Gallery: 86 photos
Best ofs: 16
Joined Jun 2003

Oct 08, 2016 17:56 |  #9

DagoImaging wrote in post #18151860 (external link)
Also, why sharpen your image prior to processing? Usually it's the last step, not the first.

Output sharpening is done as the last step. Capture sharpening is done in RAW. Creative sharpening can be done in your favorite processing application.

- Dave | flickr (external link)
Nikon D810
14-24mm f/2.8 | 16-35mm F/4 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/4 | Sigma 150-600mm

sponsored links

2,599 views & 2 likes for this thread
PP question on workflow..
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.