Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk 
Thread started 20 Nov 2015 (Friday) 07:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Anyone use the Samyang 135mm for astrophotography?

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Dec 07, 2015 02:25 |  #16

MBB89 wrote in post #17809871 (external link)
Can anyone give examples of uses for 135mm in Astro? Astro is WAY outside of my normal shooting subjects aside from the stray Milky Way shot here and there. But I recently made friends with a guy that knows a lot about astro and am thinking about doing more of it. Is the Zeiss 135 APO useful for this purpose?

If you are to take Milky way and wide field astro imaging, this lens is not for you.
You would be a lot better to look at Samyang 14mm F2.8

where this lens excels is when you need to have more detail of smaller objects (Say detail of Andromeda/flame nebula at Orion or likewise dim but intermediate size objects) at best possible F stop that significantly shortens your time of night shooting or adds to your raw data acquisition per shooting session (Its hard to imaging but even a full cloudless night could be very short for a top of the line image, when shooting a dim object that is not so generous with photons. That is why many of the best images you see are actually the collection of images from many nights throughout the months).

This lens is one of the sharpest lens for the money and beyond.

I haven't seen compassion with the excellent Zeiss lens you quote (That BTW costs at least 3.5-4 times, yet a good comparison as similar to Zeiss, Samyang believes in providing the exceptional Image Quality, with Manual focus) but compare with Canon's L 135mm F2.0, that by many reviews, is considered as one the best Canon lenses ever made (Not an easy title by any stretch), this lens win the race, hands down, when shooting wide open. Usually even with best lenses you need to stop down more than One F to get the sharpest and best result (Significantly increasing your time of exposure for a dim object). Here you get it all at F 2 that makes it a wonderful choice for low light situations such as astrophotography. Then focal length 135 to 200mm is a perfect range of intermediate magnification, specially when significantly low payload of tools makes tracking and other aspects of shooting (Including mobility) like a silky smooth dream with no need of GuideScope or digging too much down into details of astrophotography that frustrate (If not permanently discourage) the new-to-field photographer. And its not only the sharpness that is superior with Samyang. Contrast and color saturation/Color accuracy, right off the camera is far superior compare with Canon L. Google and see the test results for yourself.

If in reality this lens is what tests show, a lot more people should seriously look into this undiscovered yet, gem.
And don't forget a lot of Samyang products have so far proven the concept of being "Best bang for the bucks" in past (Zeiss quality for the low budget). This lens might be a winner in that line, as more info is coming out.

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

sponsored links
WildImages
THREAD ­ STARTER
299 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2009

Dec 07, 2015 12:13 as a reply to  @ samsen's post |  #17

I have received the Samyang 135mm and tested it. I am quite impressed with its corner to cornet sharpness, it's a keeper.

I have taken some astro images from my front porch in a heavily light polluted area so nothing yet that I would post. However I have done a lot of astrophotography and feel this is going to be my lens to go to for wider imaging.

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Dec 07, 2015 23:44 |  #18

WildImages wrote in post #17810398 (external link)
I have received the Samyang 135mm and tested it. I am quite impressed with its corner to cornet sharpness, it's a keeper.

I have taken some astro images from my front porch in a heavily light polluted area so nothing yet that I would post. However I have done a lot of astrophotography and feel this is going to be my lens to go to for wider imaging.

Congratulations.
Glad it arrived fast and fine.
I have no doubt about high capabilities of this lens and hope to see your images soon.
Mean while, clear skies.

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

sporadic
580 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2008

Dec 08, 2015 10:22 |  #19

samsen wrote in post #17794358 (external link)
I wish I knew that before Sporadic.
Saw an excellent deal, used in mint condition for $298, for Fuji X mount. I don't have Fuji but deal was so good that I had difficulties to stop myself, not to buy a Fuji body just to fit the lens! Here is the
LINK (external link) and sorry its only few days late. I guess the guy who bought it has put it back for sale at $100 more or so!!
Recently there were excellent deals on 14mm, 35mm and 16mm. I am keeping the fingers crossed for the BF or CyberMonday that an incredible deal may show up. Though I have never seen this Samyang at sale so far.

Oh wow, that would've been a smoking deal on the 135. The more I look at pictures from this lens, the more impressed I am (not astro in particular, just in general). I'll keep my eye out for a used copy, thanks!

Fuji X-T1 | X-T2 | X-T3 | 35/1.4 | 10-24 | 18-55 | 55-200 | 50-140 | Rokinon 8/2.8II Fisheye | Rokinon 12/2
Fringer EF-FX Pro
7D | 300/4 L IS

WildImages
THREAD ­ STARTER
299 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Dec 08, 2015 14:47 as a reply to  @ post 17809707 |  #20

Samsen:

Yes, I have received the lens and am really surprised at its quality and sharpness. I have been imagine the comet Catalina but have not processes any yet other than stacking.

My subjective conclusion is the Samyang 135mm f2.0 is exceptionally sharp with no coma when shot wide open, indeed shockingly sharp.

Once I process some images, I will post one.

WildImages
THREAD ­ STARTER
299 posts
Joined Jul 2009
Post edited over 4 years ago by WildImages. (2 edits in all)

Dec 09, 2015 10:12 as a reply to  @ WildImages's post |  #21

Here are two images, first a wide view and then a bit of a crop, of Comet C/2013 US10 (Catalina). They were taken with a Canon 7D Mk II and Samyang 135mm lens set at f2.8. The duration was 30 seconds for each exposure and was taken from my front porch in a heavily light polluted area. It is so heavily polluted to the extent that I cannot see Polaris to polar align my iOptron. I lined it up using my cell phone for azimuth and altitude settings. I didn't spend much time stretching the image as I plan to do proper astro imaging later from my favorite dark park. In the meantime, at least I have captured this once in a lifetime comet image as it speeds on its way out into the Ort Cloud!

The Samyang is a manual lens hence no EXIF data. Nevertheless it is shockingly sharp wide open with no Aspherical Abberations that I can detect.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Davenn
991 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Jun 2013

Jan 23, 2016 01:43 |  #22

sweet !!

you have almost convinced me to buy one :-)

Dave

A picture is worth 1000 words ;)
Canon 5D3, 6D, 700D, a bunch of lenses and other bits, ohhh and some Pentax stuff ;)

TCampbell
452 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Feb 03, 2016 23:14 |  #23

This was shot with the Canon EF 135mm f/2L (not the Samyang, but it is an example of 135mm) using a Canon 60Da body (I had a 5D III with me, but the 60Da is more sensitive to the reds in the Ha regions such as the Horsehead nebula)

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1701/24660006245_7eed664b54_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Dz7Y​Ht  (external link)
Lower Region of Orion (external link) by Tim Campbell (external link), on Flickr

I did have to use a tracking head. My "weapon of choice" is the Losmandy "StarLapse" tracking head.

matchewgrey
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Aug 2015

Feb 29, 2016 02:52 as a reply to  @ TCampbell's post |  #24

Nice shot. Might give my 135L next time I'm shooting stars as well.

calypsob
Goldmember
1,177 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2012
Post edited over 3 years ago by calypsob. (3 edits in all)

Oct 08, 2016 00:51 as a reply to  @ post 17809871 |  #25

Dont get the zeiss, the samyang is just as good. I think its a clone of the zeiss perscription honestly. They are both incredible lenses. The 135mm samyang is the sharpest lens they make by far. Honestly i really really wish that they would clone the 135mm f2 perscription into an 85mm, a 50mm, a 35mm. All f2, if they could perform as well as the 135, holy cow what a series that would be. Here is a rough process taht I just started working on. It still has alot of work but for now at least you can see what an F2 lens is capable of wide open at a true darksite mag 21.48 at zenith, pleiades imaged while at zenith only. 150 individual subs stacked using linear fits clipping in pixinsight, blend of 60s and 90s subs iso 800. I will post in the main forum when this is complete.

Dont get the zeiss, the samyang is just as good. I think its a clone of the zeiss perscription honestly. They are both incredible lenses. The 135mm samyang is the sharpest lens they make by far. Honestly i really really wish that they would clone the 135mm f2 perscription into an 85mm, a 50mm, a 35mm. All f2, if they could perform as well as the 135, holy cow what a series that would be. Here is a rough process taht I just started working on. It still has alot of work but for now at least you can see what an F2 lens is capable of wide open at a true darksite mag 21.48 at zenith, pleiades imaged while at zenith only. 150 individual subs stacked using linear fits clipping in pixinsight, blend of 60s and 90s subs iso 800. I will post in the main forum when this is complete.

+UPLOADED IMAGE A preview
IMAGE HOSTED BY FORUM SERVER (ATTACH A)

HOSTED PHOTO

Wes
-----------
flickr (external link)
Gear: Many gears Yes.

sponsored links

14,943 views & 6 likes for this thread
Anyone use the Samyang 135mm for astrophotography?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.