Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 Aug 2016 (Wednesday) 21:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 5D Mark IV -- Time to Discuss!

Engineered_Reflex
109 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Apr 2014

Oct 10, 2016 16:19 |  #3781

One thing that is really annoying me is that when I select different focus areas, with single point or single + assists, the initial selected point is always over to the right and I have to press the joystick to get the point back to the centre. I thought it might be something to do with registered points, but it doesn't seem to be. I can't seem to find a setting that will alter this. On my 7D II, it always seems to default to the centre point when I cycle through the af areas, but on this body I press the area select button again only to find that it's gone off to the right each time. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong!

Kit list: Canon 5D mkIV & 6D mkII, EF 24-70L F4 IS, EF 70-200 F4 is, EF 50 f1.8 STM, Sigma 24-105 Art & Sigma 150-600 C
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,788 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Oct 10, 2016 16:44 |  #3782

RodS57 wrote in post #18153137 (external link)
A ways back in this thread someone posted that touch focus didn't work when using back button focus. As some already suggested go back to normal shutter button function and see if that fixes the problem.

Rod

Yup that was me

Canon 5dmkIII | Canon 85L 1.2 | Sigma 35mm ART 1.4|Canon 16-35mm L 2.8 |Canon 24-70mm L f2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F2.8L MK2 | Canon 430EX MK2 Flickr (external link)

don1163
Goldmember
1,000 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Joined May 2015

Oct 10, 2016 16:55 |  #3783

sploo wrote in post #18153393 (external link)
For the files issue - if you delete an image from a card then I believe it'll only delete from the playback card. So, if (in camera) you deleted image 004 but by default had the CF card (which is card 1) as playback, then you'll likely still have 004.jpg on the SD card.

For the AF points... that's odd. What AF points mode were you using? If it was a point + 4 or 8 assist then it may be showing the point that actually locked focus (which could be one of the assist points).

I see, I was under the impression it deleted the image from both cards...thanks for that.
The af point was user error:rolleyes:

1DX, 500L f4, 70-200L f2.8II, 100L f2.8 macro ,16-35 f4, 1.4xIII, Metz 64-AF1

sploo
premature adulation
2,414 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Oct 10, 2016 17:10 |  #3784

don1163 wrote in post #18153464 (external link)
I see, I was under the impression it deleted the image from both cards...thanks for that.

I tend to write both file types to both cards, so it at least means I get reasonably sensible behaviour when I delete an image - I just need to remember that I'm not removing images from the SD card (so I periodically format it - as it's effectively only used as a backup in case of a CF failure).

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,148 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Oct 10, 2016 22:23 |  #3785

don1163 wrote in post #18153464 (external link)

None of the dual card Canon cameras are able to do that dual deletion, even the 1D series. It can be annoying at times.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Philihase
201 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Oct 11, 2016 01:21 |  #3786

Engineered_Reflex wrote in post #18153432 (external link)
One thing that is really annoying me is that when I select different focus areas, with single point or single + assists, the initial selected point is always over to the right and I have to press the joystick to get the point back to the centre. I thought it might be something to do with registered points, but it doesn't seem to be. I can't seem to find a setting that will alter this. On my 7D II, it always seems to default to the centre point when I cycle through the af areas, but on this body I press the area select button again only to find that it's gone off to the right each time. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong!

It does this on the 7D2 as well IF you center the point with a joystick press and the camera is "awake" in focusing mode. If you move the point back with left or right, up and down movements and then cycle through the focus areas it will stay on the selected point . Or you wait till the camera goes into "standby" then center the point then it forgets the last point before boucing back. I think the camera "remembers" the last point used before bouncing back and when you change focusing areas it goes back to the last point before centering. Is usefull sometimes, sometimes a pain in the ass.

https://www.facebook.c​om …e-Photos-852961268075109/ (external link)

George ­ Zip
My neighbours are looking at me a bit strangely
1,394 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Aug 2015

Oct 11, 2016 03:30 |  #3787

Can anyone tell me why when I push the AF point selection button to view the focus points, the left and right large zone areas are blinking but the middle large zone is not??

It has me stumped.

Neilyb
Cream of the Crop
5,192 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Sep 2005
Post edited over 3 years ago by Neilyb. (2 edits in all)

Oct 11, 2016 03:38 |  #3788

George Zip wrote in post #18153838 (external link)
Can anyone tell me why when I push the AF point selection button to view the focus points, the left and right large zone areas are blinking but the middle large zone is not??

It has me stumped.

This all depends on what your maximum aperture is for the lens you are using. The blinking points are the non-cross type I believe. P-115 in the manual explains the points depending on aperture (or TC).

http://natureimmortal.​blogspot.com (external link)

http://www.natureimmor​tal.com (external link)

George ­ Zip
My neighbours are looking at me a bit strangely
1,394 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Aug 2015
Post edited over 3 years ago by George Zip.

Oct 11, 2016 03:40 |  #3789

Neilyb wrote in post #18153844 (external link)
This all depends on what your maximum aperture is for the lens you are using. The blinking points are the non-cross type I believe.

Ah ok, using the 100-400 II

Still confused but I'll check it out

basketballfreak6
Goldmember
1,454 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Oct 11, 2016 05:01 |  #3790

haven't posted for a while but thought I'd share an update with my AF issue (similar to sploo) with my new 5DIV

sent it down to Canon almost a month ago and haven't got it back, spoke to team leader of workshop at Canon Australia today, firstly they acknowledged that there is definitely an issue with outer AF points behaving differently to the centre, process has been extremely time consuming as they have been testing every lens at different focal lengths on all 61 AF point individually including testing horizontal, vertical, and crosses individually in order to collate data to test and make adjustments, they hit a bit of hiccup because they had lost or misplaced some of the data collected last week meaning they had to start over...funny enough he said mine was the first one they had encountered when I asked if they had anyone else send body in for the same issue

https://www.instagram.​com/tony.liu.photograp​hy/ (external link)
flickr (external link)
https://500px.com/tony​_liu_photography (external link)
5DIV, 5DIII, modified 760D, 16-35L f/4 IS, 24-70L II f/2.8, 70-200L IS II f/2.8, S150-600 f/5-6.3 SPORT, S14 f/1.8 ART, S50 f/1.4 ART, S135 f/1.8 ART, 100L IS Macro f/2.8

Neilyb
Cream of the Crop
5,192 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Oct 11, 2016 05:07 |  #3791

George Zip wrote in post #18153845 (external link)
Ah ok, using the 100-400 II

Still confused but I'll check it out

No sure I get it either but I am pretty sure the middle set is sensitive to f5.6 cross type and the rest to F8 but only horizonal. If you have an f2.8 lens the center column of points is diagonal cross type.

http://natureimmortal.​blogspot.com (external link)

http://www.natureimmor​tal.com (external link)

ilumo
Goldmember
1,708 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 11, 2016 10:48 |  #3792

nqjudo wrote in post #18153207 (external link)
My main reason for moving from the 5D3 to the 5D4 was because after getting the 7D2 I was really craving the relatively advanced feature and customization set in the 7D2 firmware. What I've found in the 5D4 is that and so much more. Yes, naysayers can pick the camera apart in an attribute vs attribute comparison but as a whole this is the most complete camera I have ever owned (and that includes the A7RII and several other mirrorless bodies). In terms of a system the IQ, DR, ISO performance, customization and lens selection make it more camera than I am going to need for a long, long time. If you aren't 100% sure about an outright purchase it is definitely worthy of a trial period. Keep us posted.

Yep. I just pulled the trigger on the 5div. can't wait. It looks like it's going to be the perfect camera for my needs right now. Jack of all trades, similar to what my 5d3 was.

Body: 5D Mark IV
Glass: 50mm f/1.8 | 35mm f/1.4L USM | 17-40 f/4.0L USM | 24-70 f/2.8L II USM | 24-105 f/4.0L IS USM | 70-200 f/2.8L II IS USM | 85mm f/1.2L USM | 100mm f/2.8L IS USM
Accessories: 430 EX II, 600 EX, tripods, umbrellas, and other goodies.

ilumo
Goldmember
1,708 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 11, 2016 11:31 |  #3793

I was actually comparing some images of the 5dsR and the 5d4, and a thought came out... if the 5dsR applies a "cancellation" filter to get rid of the AA, is it possible to somehow replicate that in post for the 5d4, and i guess any other cameras that have an AA filter...

Body: 5D Mark IV
Glass: 50mm f/1.8 | 35mm f/1.4L USM | 17-40 f/4.0L USM | 24-70 f/2.8L II USM | 24-105 f/4.0L IS USM | 70-200 f/2.8L II IS USM | 85mm f/1.2L USM | 100mm f/2.8L IS USM
Accessories: 430 EX II, 600 EX, tripods, umbrellas, and other goodies.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,148 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 3 years ago by TeamSpeed.

Oct 11, 2016 11:55 as a reply to  @ ilumo's post |  #3794

It is all an optical filtration/cancellatio​n, which occurs before the sensor even sees anything. How would you take a scene that went through that filter and was then recorded, and know how the projection should have looked without the AA filter to write a reversal routine?

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,901 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 11, 2016 12:38 |  #3795

ilumo wrote in post #18154153 (external link)
I was actually comparing some images of the 5dsR and the 5d4, and a thought came out... if the 5dsR applies a "cancellation" filter to get rid of the AA, is it possible to somehow replicate that in post for the 5d4, and i guess any other cameras that have an AA filter...

No; the cancellation is optical. Sharpening returns some of the pixel-level contrast lowered by the AA filter, but you can't get exactly what you would have without an AA filter in the first place. That is impossible, as the resolution frequency domain is soft-clipped by an AA filter, to prevent false resolution (mirror) frequencies from coming through.

The typical AA filter is two sheets of what are called a "birefringent" material (sp?), which takes a point of light and turns it into two points, their distance determined by the thickness of the material. Two sheets are laid down, at 90 degrees rotation, so each dot becomes 4 dots, like the corners of a square. When the filter is cancelled, the lower sheet is inverted so that it turns the two points back to one point, instead of 4. This way, the thickness is maintained and is consistent between the two camera designs. I have no proof, but suspect, that the cancelled type is actually better than having no AA filter at all, because it may turn that hypothetical dot into a slightly wider dot due to imperfections in the filter, but still quite small, which may attenuate the most egregious (mirror) frequencies, without reducing maximum pixel contrast by very much.

sponsored links

822,426 views & 2,668 likes for this thread
Canon 5D Mark IV -- Time to Discuss!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.