Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 22 Sep 2016 (Thursday) 09:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Clothing for weddings

trailblazer
586 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2007

Sep 22, 2016 09:31 |  #1

So I usually sweat a lot, and it doesn't help that I live somewhere that is 37 degrees Celsius / 97 degrees Fahrenheit year round (no seasons). It gets hotter, but seldom cooler, except when it rains.

As a result, I am usually a hot, sweaty mess very soon after reaching the bride's house and dragging my gear with me.

Due to having to dress for the occasion, meaning dress slacks, shoes and a long sleeved shirt, it is usually soaked in a short space of time as that clothing compounds the situation.

Does anyone have suggestions on what type of dress attire I should be looking for? Any specific material types? Ideally, I would have loved to wear something like a Nike dry fit collared T-shirt, but obviously, this wouldn't work.

sponsored links
Joker-USMC
33 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Sep 22, 2016 12:48 |  #2

following ... i too live in an area that is extremely hot and humid and haven't found a viable solution.

bacchanal
Cream of the Crop
5,284 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Sep 22, 2016 13:23 |  #3

I've struggled with this, and finally got to a breaking point while shooting video...just too much gear to carry, and range of motion and comfort are critical throughout the day.

I wear black or grey slacks or jeans and a black or grey short sleeve polo or button down shirt. Lately I've even been going untucked. For shoes I wear black sketchers, which are similar to my everyday shoes. It's not a dressy look, but it's boring and doesn't stand out, and the best part is I don't have to spend a minute of my time thinking about my clothes or my comfort level.

Drew A. | gear | photosexternal link

kjonnnn
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Sep 22, 2016 14:28 |  #4

You should always dress as well as the guests of the event are expected to dress. Modify for functionality.

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 23, 2016 08:20 |  #5

Lots of threads on the forum if you do a search on it. I wear red cargo pants, a business branded polo shirt and hiking shoes.

Peter

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Sep 23, 2016 16:41 |  #6

Indoor weddings in the summer we do black slacks and black collared short sleeve shirts, during the winter we may layer a black long sleeve under armor style shirt under that. Outdoors during the summer if we think it might be ok with the bride we ask if she has any problem with us in khaki shorts, not a single one has told us no.

We are changing this up this winter and will be doing khaki shorts and white collared short sleeve shirts with khaki shorts as our standard summer outdoor wardrobe. Indoor will still be black on black. Unless we are asked otherwise. Granted there have been a few weddings that we dressed in dress shirt, tie and slacks but those are far and few between in our area. at 330lbs I sweat just thinking about moving, so being comfortable has trumped most other aspects for me.

When buying shirts and pants I now look in the golf area as someone in another one of these threads suggested. Lightweight and breathable.

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Oct 10, 2016 23:05 as a reply to  @ kjonnnn's post |  #7

Completely disagree. The guests are not there to work. I am. Comfort is above all else.

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

F2Bthere
Goldmember
1,039 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Oct 10, 2016 23:42 |  #8

I think there are a few options.

Weather and being able to work while carrying your gear are important considerations.

The most important issue is to not stand out. The more easily you blend into the background, the more your clients can enjoy their experience and the more candid expressions you can capture.

Dressing like the participants in the event is the easiest way to fit in. Where practical, this is the best choice.

If that doesn't work, a "uniform" is easy enough to ignore once it has been "identified" by the observer. Polo shirts with a logo work.

Dress like "staff." Here you can take a hint from the caterers. Black pants and shoes, black or white shirt are typical. Simply look at how they have solved the problem in your area.

C&C always welcomed...
On my images, of course, and on my words as well--as long as it's constructive :).
https://www.instagram.​com/storyinpictures_co​m/ (external link)

kjonnnn
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Oct 11, 2016 10:56 as a reply to  @ elrey2375's post |  #9

You can dress similar the guests and be comfortable with a liitle effort. Its totally unprofessional to show up at a formal event in baggy jeans and a t shirt because its comfortable. Its NOT about you.

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,276 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Oct 11, 2016 11:59 |  #10

A curious thing. I used to dress to blend in for event shoots, mostly fundraisers. Then one time I tried black slacks and a black button-down shirt. I found a noticeable difference in how easy it is to get people to pose. If I'm dressed like everybody else, I think I'm perceived as just another guest, a schlub with a camera. People were resistant to posing. If I'm wearing black & black, they treat me like a professional.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Oct 11, 2016 13:23 |  #11

kjonnnn wrote in post #18154129 (external link)
You can dress similar the guests and be comfortable with a liitle effort. Its totally unprofessional to show up at a formal event in baggy jeans and a t shirt because its comfortable. Its NOT about you.

However if the people hiring you are well aware of what you wear when you cover an event why change? If you have always worn a tux and its expected that you show up in a tux thats fine. If you always wear jeans and a t-shirt and its made clear to the client more power to you.

I dress as nice as I can but only to the point I can still do what I am being paid to do. Me being 330lbs probably means what I need to dress in to be comfortable is different then someone weighting 150lbs.

Everyone will have different views what what one should dress like. Do what you want just make sure your client is aware of your planned attire in one way or another.

Side note with the amount of guest with cameras at weddings, having something that shows you are the PRO at the event helps. Every guest knows as soon as they see either my wife or I that we are not guest.

98kellrs
841 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Oct 11, 2016 17:54 |  #12

I ride motorbikes in a hot environment, and I wear Skins compression clothing under my leathers. It sounds strange but you instantly feel cooler and that layer wicks away sweat very quickly.

You could wear one under a dark polo shirt no problems and it would help with sweat patches and minimise the sweatiness in general. It will also stop your shirt and pants clinging to sweaty skin which is a big bonus in trying to look 'composed and professional'

Ryan
Nikon D800
Fujifilm X-T1
RSK Photography Facebook - Automotive Photography page (external link)
Website (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,962 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 12, 2016 00:01 |  #13

Polo shirts are good. Woolen pants breathe.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 12, 2016 01:55 as a reply to  @ kjonnnn's post |  #14

Clients, their family and friends are the judge and jury of professionalism. Sorry mate but what you (or any other togs) think is completely irrelevant. Its NOT about what you think ;)

Peter

kjonnnn
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Oct 12, 2016 10:57 as a reply to  @ memoriesoftomorrow's post |  #15

LOL

sponsored links

4,716 views & 10 likes for this thread
Clothing for weddings
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.