Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 06 Oct 2016 (Thursday) 05:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5DIII vs 5DIV for weddings - what is the verdict now?

narlus
Cream of the Crop
7,661 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 11, 2016 10:58 |  #16

how are the 5D4 files in terms of pushing in post, and noise?

i've seen some amazing results from Nikon (can't recall if it was the D750, D4 or D5) where a shot was taken at ISO 100 and pushed 4.5 stops and still looked clean.

this is important to me as a concert shooter... it would be nice to not have to shoot to the right like i've been doing, and get more aggressive w/ higher shutter speed and underexposing, and then adjusting in post w/ no noise penalty.

any images to share?

www.tinnitus-photography.com (external link)
Facebook link (external link)

gear list

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,120 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 3 years ago by TeamSpeed. (2 edits in all)

Oct 11, 2016 12:05 |  #17

Examples and discussions have occurred on that topic in this thread...

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1466079

Some samples from the web:

http://www.birdphotogr​aphers.net …m-Today-(With-4-stop-push (external link))
https://www.dpreview.c​om/forums/thread/40520​14 (external link)

Then there is this review.
http://albertpalmerpho​tography.com …iew-wedding-photographer/ (external link)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

narlus
Cream of the Crop
7,661 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 11, 2016 12:22 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #18

thanks, will check those links out.

www.tinnitus-photography.com (external link)
Facebook link (external link)

gear list

CamaroSS
271 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Sep 2006

Nov 02, 2016 06:50 |  #19

I'm really surprised that more people aren't making a bigger statement about the autofocus improvements of the Mark III. I've shot 2 weddings with the Mark IV/III tandem since purchasing last month. I shot on a Mark III/6D tandem for years...so I have seen an overall big improvement.

Unlike my previous camera setup, the Mark IV is an improvement in every way over the III, so I don't find myself grabbing the backup body in some situations. The Mark III would simply stop autofocusing when light dropped to a certain level, so before I'd grab the 6D to get AF and have better low light performance. The 5D IV just chugs away and I never reach for the III at any point for an advantage it may have, because it has ZERO advantages over the IV.

So the IV is just a much more capable body and the IIIz while still excellent, isn't as good as the IV...so it's an outstanding backup body and better than what I was shooting on before.

I think you should ask yourself what you use your backup bodies for at weddings. Because for me, they're a safety net first and foremost, and à second lens option at key points of a wedding. In that respect, there isn't an immediate need for me to upgrade both bodies...however I plan to.

It cannot be overlooked that the autofocus performance of the 5DIV is that much better than the Mark III. The camera doesn't disappoint.

- Kevin

- Kevin Kevin DiOssi Photography (external link)1DX Mark II/5D Mk IV/Mk III/SL2/M5
- Flashpoint XPLOR 600s
M-Mount: Pancake 22mm f/2| 15-45mm | EF-EOSM Adapter
Primes: 40mm f/2.8| 50mm STM | 50 Art | 85 1.4L | 85 Art | EF 100L Macro | 135L | Zooms: EF-S 10-18 | 16-35 f2.8L III | 24-105 f/4L II | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM | 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM

Deardorff
110 posts
Joined Oct 2016

Nov 06, 2016 08:22 |  #20

Considering we used to shoot weddings with Koni-Omega rangefinders, Hasselblads, Rolleis, Yashicas and many other fully mechanical cameras and did just fine - why are you worried about which specific digital body will work?

Bet many can take a cheapie point and shoot digital to a wedding and do a nice job. Maybe technically not perfect compared to the uberDollarFlexes, but composition, lighting and talent make the difference. Not equipment.

"I've been a procrastinator all my life. I keep meaning to do something about that."

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,120 posts
Joined May 2002

Nov 06, 2016 08:46 |  #21

Deardorff wrote in post #18177220 (external link)
Considering we used to shoot weddings with Koni-Omega rangefinders, Hasselblads, Rolleis, Yashicas and many other fully mechanical cameras and did just fine - why are you worried about which specific digital body will work?

Bet many can take a cheapie point and shoot digital to a wedding and do a nice job. Maybe technically not perfect compared to the uberDollarFlexes, but composition, lighting and talent make the difference. Not equipment.

I would never hire somebody with that type of equipment for a wedding. Sure they could take some good results but in today's fast paced world, nobody will want to spend all that time to allow the photographer time to set up each scenario, nor would that set up work in today's receptions. Why drive a car when somebody could just walk to the destination? Because of convenience, speed and ease. ... I get very tired of hearing how equipment doesn't matter, it does if you want to compete in today's world, from the photographers perspective anyway.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

rejay14
Goldmember
1,046 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 26, 2017 05:10 |  #22

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18177236 (external link)
I would never hire somebody with that type of equipment for a wedding. Sure they could take some good results but in today's fast paced world, nobody will want to spend all that time to allow the photographer time to set up each scenario, nor would that set up work in today's receptions. Why drive a car when somebody could just walk to the destination? Because of convenience, speed and ease. ... I get very tired of hearing how equipment doesn't matter, it does if you want to compete in today's world, from the photographers perspective anyway.

The same reason that I had to upgrade from 2x$100 Canon Selphy's to 1x$1,600 DNP printer for my events. People expect results two minutes ago. Technology changes, peoples expectations change. We have to adapt or be run over.

1DX Mark II, 5D Mark IV, 40D,Rebel XT :lol:, 70-200L 2.8 IS II, 100-400L IS II,24-105 II L, 100mmL 2.8 IS, 16-35L 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8L II, Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art, Sekonic 758DR, Pixma 9500 II, Pixma 9000 II, Think Tank Airport Accelerator v2.0, Canon 600EX-RT x 5, Profoto B1 Kit x2 with too many modifiers http:// …www.PrestigePhotoPro.c​om (external link) Portfolio (external link)
Concert Photography (external link)

Chiefy
Goldmember
2,439 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2012

Jan 26, 2017 05:33 |  #23

Having shot weddings with a Mk III and a Mk IV, I find the high ISO quality of the Mk IV much superior to the Mk III. I also find there is more details in the shadow areas and I can pull them out much better. The focusing system on the Mk III was awesome, on the Mk IV it is even better and worth the upgrade in my humble opinion.

1DX Mark II/5D Mk IV - 16-35L f4 IS - 135L - 24-70L f2.8 IS II - 70-200L f2.8 IS II- 100-400 IIL IS - 100 Macro f2.8L IS - 85mm 1.4 IS L - Σ 35 1.4 Art - Σ 50 1.4 Art - Σ 18-250 - TC 1.4 II - EF 12/25 II - Profoto A1 - Manfrotto 055CXPRO3/Really Right Stuff BH55
Flickr (external link)

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,848 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 26, 2017 08:46 |  #24

Neilyb wrote in post #18153092 (external link)
I have to say the 5Dmk4 has failed to impress me with "low light" focus. By low light I mean ISO2500 at 1/250sec, f4. Practically daylight for many wedding photographers stuck in a dark church. Which is why I am alarmed that any point above and below the center struggled in overcast conditions. I need to test further and the shop I bought it from is also interested in the problem. I know categorically that my 1Dx would have nailed focus in those conditions, I have shot that beast upto ISO12800 at 1/100 sec to try and wiggle out some wildlife shots I did not get. Never failed.

I could be alone on this but it is not 1Dx level AF.

https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=18150644 I tried spot AF and single point and single point plus four but the camera would not grab those nuts or any of the moss (plenty of texture and contrast to focus on IMO).

The sequence I took of a squirrel I need to check, from 10 or 12 shots of a sitting squirrel there are a handful "sharp", some however are motion blurred due to the SS. Will post some to the thread above.

About this post.

https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=18150687

I checked my eManual. And I see this on page 581. EV -4 -18. Those posts say EV -3 -18 and no conditions are listed. Am I looking in the wrong place.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i33.photobucket​.com …_zpsp8xfnvdp.jp​g~original (external link)

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,120 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 2 years ago by TeamSpeed. (4 edits in all)

Jan 26, 2017 09:07 |  #25

I have no issues with the 5D4 locking focus in a basement with very low light, just natural light from windows at the other end. Also, this happens also with AI Servo. For many bodies to realize low light AF, they need to be set to One Shot.

Much lower than what is in a church... There has to be something wrong with Neily's body. However also, even using spot AF, the area is larger than that box in a box, so if that AF spot is laid over something that has a mix of high contrast, you are relying on luck on which part it locks to. It is *supposed* to lock on the closest item, but that never seems to work for me. To test this theory, using things larger than a fingertip for focusing tests, perhaps?

sponsored links

8,191 views & 11 likes for this thread
5DIII vs 5DIV for weddings - what is the verdict now?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.