Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
Thread started 27 Aug 2016 (Saturday) 12:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

70-200 2.8 Solution

WillMeades
654 posts
Gallery: 90 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2011

Aug 27, 2016 12:07 |  #1

What are some of you doing for a 70-200 2.8 zoom solution if not going with the big sony? I’ve been playing with my Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC with metabones IV adapter. I actually loved this lens on my canon 5dm3. It seems to do okay focusing, but focus hunting and missed shots seem to be a bit much, especially in lower light situations. I’m looking for a solution without breaking the bank on the sony lens. My financial advisor (wife) might put me in financial time-out! ;)

“too much stuff, too little time"
WillMeades (external link)

urbanfreestyle
I am a squirrel who loves rubbing bottles and I have Nuts in my drawers, too!
2,046 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Oct 12, 2016 08:39 |  #2

I can't comment on this as i only use primes and walk back / forth lol!
Perhaps going to mf in low light is an option?

Facebook (external link)
Canon 1D Mk IV | Canon 50mm 1.8 Mk1 | Sigma 'Bigma' 50-500 | Fuji XE1 | Helios 44/m | 50mm 1.4 | Manfrotto 055CX PRO3 | 3LT Mohawk ballhead | Lubitel 2 med format camera |

shaolin95
124 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 12, 2016 19:28 |  #3

WillMeades wrote in post #18108118 (external link)
What are some of you doing for a 70-200 2.8 zoom solution if not going with the big sony? I’ve been playing with my Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC with metabones IV adapter. I actually loved this lens on my canon 5dm3. It seems to do okay focusing, but focus hunting and missed shots seem to be a bit much, especially in lower light situations. I’m looking for a solution without breaking the bank on the sony lens. My financial advisor (wife) might put me in financial time-out! ;)

I had the Tamron before (2nd version) and tested the Sigma, Canon EF F4 and Sony FE F4. Then tried the Canon 70-200mm F2.8 IS ii and I was sold! Amazing optics through the focal range wide open. Yes, Eye AF is limited to the center area but while the GM situation gets sorted out, this lens is amazing and I got it at a great price from used photo pro.

mickeyb105
Goldmember
2,536 posts
Gallery: 396 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Oct 12, 2016 19:30 |  #4

I am also a prime shooter, but I did investigate all the angles in looking for a 200 2.8 solution. I used my 135L and EF 200 2.8 Lii quite a bit on my 6D and 60D, and would have loved it if they worked on my first-gen mirrorless bodies.

--EF 200 2.8 Lii with MBIV on A6000 and A7R. Focus was slow to lock in and tracking was non-existent.
--Minolta 200 2.8 HS APO with LA-EA4 on A6000 and A7R. Focus was pretty quick--not native-quick, but quick--but would not track. I disliked the the loss in IQ on both bodies caused by the translucent mirror.

Since most of the reason I would need 200mm was sports, I decided to pony up and get a third body--a used A77. I sold my LA-EA4 for $265 and bought an A77 in 9/10 condition from B&H for $369 to shoot a bowl game from the stands.

I ended up using it for a few months, selling it for what I bought it for, and buying a refurbed A77ii for $650ish. Let's just say I'm not sad about the end result . . .

but I was disappointed initially with the inability to use my a6000 with a 200 2.8 prime for sports shooting purposes. I was put in a position where I had to shoot a Spring training game with just MF with a the a6000/LA-EA3 and the Minolta 200, and I was pretty impressed with the IQ of the combo. But, I wouldn't want to do it all the time.

The price of the 70-200 GM just isn't worth it to me, so until I can justify it I'll likely stick with an A-mount body of some sort. If I had to shoot weddings, I would re-evaluate.

Sony A99ii, RX-100ii, Sonnar T* 135mm f1.8 ZA, Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA, 24mm f/2 SSM Distagon T*, Minolta HS 200 2.8 APO, Minolta 2xTC APO, HVL-F43M
Flickr (external link)

WillMeades
THREAD ­ STARTER
654 posts
Gallery: 90 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2011

Oct 13, 2016 09:06 |  #5

Update: After some more researching, I found that if I turn off the contrast detection and only used phase detection focus with the Tamron 70-200 2.8 (canon mount with metabones IV), focusing is appreciably faster and much more accurate. Now I think I’m going to hold on to my Tamron.

“too much stuff, too little time"
WillMeades (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2,136 views & 1 like for this thread
70-200 2.8 Solution
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.