Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 03 Oct 2013 (Thursday) 08:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Are you anal retentive?

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 03, 2013 08:55 |  #1

I am. I "pixel peep" and I'm of the opinion that viewing distance of my prints should be governed solely by the length of the viewers nose.
To the degree that, of late, I've gotten into the habit of almost always shooting in AI Servo mode then taking those images into PS and applying focus stacking to them, not for the normal reasons, but to improve visual acuity.
Ya don't believe me...give it a shot(s). :lol: :lol:

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

sponsored links
armis
897 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Oct 03, 2013 09:40 |  #2

chauncey wrote in post #16343028 (external link)
I've gotten into the habit of almost always shooting in AI Servo mode then taking those images into PS and applying focus stacking to them, not for the normal reasons, but to improve visual acuity.

That is nuts, but also strangely brilliant. :D

Fuji X-E2, 18-55 and 55-200 zooms, Samyang 12
www.wtbphoto.com (external link)

chauncey
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 03, 2013 11:50 as a reply to  @ armis's post |  #3

Comes from having an excess of spare time is all. :lol:

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

lovemyram4x4
Goldmember
2,198 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Mar 2013

Oct 03, 2013 12:30 |  #4

How would using AI servo be useful for focus stacking? In theory any place the AF point is should be in focus with AI servo but in practice it's not always the case, when shooting burst I get a lot of sharp, sharp, OOF, sharp..... Or did you mean to say high speed continuous?

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Oct 03, 2013 20:19 |  #5

I'm also confused as to what the AF mode has to do with anything.

Also, I'm wondering if "anal retentive" should be hyphenated.

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

Elfstop
720 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2012

Oct 03, 2013 22:04 |  #6

orjustanal?

ejenner
Goldmember
3,801 posts
Gallery: 81 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Oct 03, 2013 22:21 as a reply to  @ Elfstop's post |  #7

I don't think I am. I have a scratch on my 5DII sensor and it doesn't bother me.

OTOH I do sometimes take multiple hand-held shots of a relatively stationary subject if I am at ISO3200 or above and stack them to reduce noise.

Edward Jenner
5DIV, M6, GX1 II, Sig15mm FE, 16-35 F4,TS-E 17, TS-E 24, M11-22, M18-150 ,24-105, T45 1.8VC, 70-200 f4 IS, 70-200 2.8 vII, Sig 85 1.4, 100L, 135L, 400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,877 posts
Gallery: 146 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 04, 2013 23:59 |  #8

In some ways I am anal retentive - extremely anal retentive. In other things I couldn't care less about details and defects.

The things I am always extremely AR about are my images.

When shooting a wildlife subject, I am constantly confirming focus - just in case the critter turned its head slightly and the eye (what I focus on) might have moved 1/2 of an inch. Gotta make sure the focus isn't a fraction of an inch off - that would ruin the shot, you know!

I am also constantly "chimping", to ensure that I get as perfect an exposure as possible, right down to the third of a stop. Sometimes I even miss great shots because I am so engrossed in achieving the perfect settings.

So, yeah, it's the images that I am completely anal about - they are what matter.

Now, as for other things, I am not anal at all. I couldn't care less if there are scratches on my lenses - even big ones on the front element. Why don't I care about that? Because the scratches don't affect the images, and the images are the only things that matter.

Likewise, I don't care if one of the legs is, literally, falling out of my Gitzo tripod. I just stick it back in the hole, set 'er back up, and continue shooting. If it doesn't cost me shots, then I don't bother to fix it. Why should I, when the only things that matter are the pictures themselves?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

squashed
Goldmember
4,142 posts
Gallery: 71 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 05, 2013 00:03 |  #9

Chauncey, you have always been a little strange.... Keep at it !!

Done with Numbers. Own the X and the R
http://www.garyyoungph​otography.com (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,877 posts
Gallery: 146 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 08, 2016 10:41 |  #10

lovemyram4x4 wrote in post #16343466 (external link)
How would using AI servo be useful for focus stacking? In theory any place the AF point is should be in focus with AI servo but in practice it's not always the case, when shooting burst I get a lot of sharp, sharp, OOF, sharp..... Or did you mean to say high speed continuous?

Curtis N wrote in post #16344473 (external link)
I'm also confused as to what the AF mode has to do with anything.

Also, I'm wondering if "anal retentive" should be hyphenated.

I am also wondering how AI servo - a focus tracking mode - can be used in conjunction with focus stacking. The way I see it, focus tracking and focus stacking are completely different things; hence, I do not understand what they have to do with one another when it comes to "improving visual acuity".

I would really appreciate it if Chauncey, the OP, would respond to Curtis and LoveMyRam asked him, by explaining how AI Servo actually results in greater acuity.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Oct 08, 2016 12:52 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

Yes, I'd love to see some examples of a burst of images using AI servo and the final stacked image. Don't think it's possible.

Now I've taken multiple images using manual focus off a tripod of a stationary scene and focus stacked that...but I just cannot fathom how using AI servo can be used with focus stacking.

Explanation please.

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,499 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Oct 12, 2016 10:54 |  #12

If you have good camera and lens, f16 is enough for what you are trying to achieve with AE Servo and PS stacking.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

flashpoint99
411 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Oct 12, 2016 11:06 |  #13

apparently Chauncey isnt anal retentive about responding to questions!.:lol:

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,001 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 12, 2016 11:25 |  #14

I would think that if you are in AI Servo and burst mode with a stationary subject that since there is a possibility for the focus to shift slightly between shots, you may have some OOF in front, and some OOF behind, focus stack these with the "in focus" shots should give you a sharper/deeper DoF region than if you simply stopped down a bit, if you were then likely to run into some diffraction softening. I don't suppose it will be huge, but could for some shots make a significant difference. Imagine if you could get a shot of a person at a very narrow DoF, but still keep both eyes absolutely in focus.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

DutchinCLE
Goldmember
2,013 posts
Gallery: 51 photos
Joined Jun 2012

Oct 12, 2016 12:47 |  #15

flashpoint99 wrote in post #18154988 (external link)
apparently Chauncey isnt anal retentive about responding to questions!.:lol:

Maybe because the original post was from 3 years ago:-)

Bas
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

4,873 views & 6 likes for this thread
Are you anal retentive?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.