Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 15 Feb 2016 (Monday) 11:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Laowa 12mm f2.8 zero distortion lens - a Samyang 14mm killer?

FEChariot
Goldmember
4,424 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 28, 2016 09:50 |  #76

Honestly I have never seen so much drama from a lens company in releasing a lens as this. Go fund me type stuff? Really just ship a load to B&H and start selling them.

Canon 7D/350D, Σ17-50/2.8 OS, 18-55IS, 24-105/4 L IS, Σ30/1.4 EX, 50/1.8, C50/1.4, 55-250IS, 60/2.8, 70-200/4 L IS, 85/1.8, 100/2.8 IS L, 135/2 L 580EX II, 430EX II * 2, 270EX II.

sponsored links
Tareq
"I am very lazy, a normal consumer"
17,894 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 28, 2016 09:54 |  #77

If they ship or sell this lens then my Samyang lens will be gone for sure, sounds my Samyang is still happy even it is not in use, lol.

Galleries:
http://hamrani.deviant​art.com/gallery/ (external link)
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,091 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Oct 02, 2016 11:33 |  #78

I didn't do the kickstarter thing. Just not my thing. Now that it's released and I'm seeing the samples/data come through... I may pick this up.

No... In fact I am going to buy this. 24mm is plenty wide enough for me and the 16mm on the zooms are just ok wide. But for me the wider than 24mm is kind of a play toy for me so I might as well go wide. This lens has me interested.

The fisheye is nice but I don't always want the distortion and fisheye hemi works OK but after shooting some interior shots for a recent ranch visit and having to de-fish the image I wasn't 100% happy. Many pointed out to me some stuff I wasnt' aware of and now it makes sense that I need a distortion free wide angle lens.

This seems to be my answer.

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
43,596 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 4 years ago by Wilt. (3 edits in all)

Oct 02, 2016 12:19 as a reply to  @ post 17899362 |  #79

Talley wrote in post #18146193 (external link)
The fisheye is nice but I don't always want the distortion and fisheye hemi works OK but after shooting some interior shots for a recent ranch visit and having to de-fish the image I wasn't 100% happy. Many pointed out to me some stuff I wasnt' aware of and now it makes sense that I need a distortion free wide angle lens.

Frame a wall with both lenses (fisheye and rectilinear), where the wall's edges (ceiling, floor, side walls) are close to the edges of the frame and the sensor is parallel to the opposite wall, and compare a fisheye to a rectilinear lens design. Or compare two different designs of 'rectilinear' optics, to see differences in pincushion/barrel distortion levels.

Apart from the one example brick wall shot posted earlier, has anyone done this comparison of several UWA lenses?

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,091 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Oct 02, 2016 14:11 |  #80

Wilt wrote in post #18146235 (external link)
Frame a wall with both lenses (fisheye and rectilinear), where the wall's edges (ceiling, floor, side walls) are close to the edges of the frame and the sensor is parallel to the opposite wall, and compare a fisheye to a rectilinear lens design. Or compare two different designs of 'rectilinear' optics, to see differences in pincushion/barrel distortion levels.

Apart from the one example brick wall shot posted earlier, has anyone done this comparison of several UWA lenses?

I don't need to do that. This 12mm has very little distortion and the fisheye is a lens I use for fun mostly.

I want the lens reallh to cover wide something that it does really good at and it's 2.8 so good for me.

My slowest lenses will be both 12mm lol

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

keithcooper
81 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Oct 02, 2016 14:18 |  #81

Talley wrote in post #18146193 (external link)
I didn't do the kickstarter thing. Just not my thing. Now that it's released and I'm seeing the samples/data come through... I may pick this up.

No... In fact I am going to buy this. 24mm is plenty wide enough for me and the 16mm on the zooms are just ok wide. But for me the wider than 24mm is kind of a play toy for me so I might as well go wide. This lens has me interested.

This seems to be my answer.

Fisheye hemi converts fisheye to various different projections, none of which are rectilinear.

I use it for interiors where the broadly cylindrical projection works. One thing to note is that the lens/camera needs to be level, lest you get converging/diverging verticals after applying it.

A wide rectilinear lens brings issues of its own, with the tendency of curved objects to give the impression of 'rushing off to the corners' when you get very wide. See the Venus review earlier at http://www.northlight-images.co.uk …nses/laowa_12mm​_f2-8.html (external link)

The rectilinear/cylindrica​l tradeoff was one thing I considered in a recent look at making a very wide angle B&W print
http://www.northlight-images.co.uk …es/staithes_bw_​print.html (external link)

As an architectural photographer, having control over the subtleties of projection for wide views is one of the reasons I just love digital over the clunkiness of big film ( YMMV ;-)a

bye for now
Keith Cooper
Northlight Images (external link)

mclaren777
Goldmember
1,482 posts
Joined May 2012

Oct 02, 2016 18:09 |  #82

GMCPhotographics wrote in post #18142211 (external link)
What is the expected delivery date?

It sounds like the first batch has already been shipped to backers so I'm hoping to see some pictures/reviews soon.

A simple comparison of sensor technology: Nikon vs. Canon (external link)
A technical comparison of sensor technology: Exposure Latitude (external link)

Tareq
"I am very lazy, a normal consumer"
17,894 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 02, 2016 18:19 |  #83

I got used to 12mm so long time ago with my Sigma 12-24mm mk1, regardless it isn't any match to this lens distortion and even maybe quality, but i know how wide is 12mm really, and i do have 2 fisheye lenses, 8mm and 15mm, so UWA isn't something strange for me, but i use them mostly when i travel and i no longer travel due to......, but i will think to use UWA sooner or later in the future.

I like this site here because i know any gear someone or some will buy and do samples and tests, so i can decide if it is good for me or not before i do, and thanks to anyone who posting any pros and cons of gear, this really helping me, so i will wait someone or some to buy this lens and compare it to Samyang/Rokinon 14mm and give the verdicts.

Galleries:
http://hamrani.deviant​art.com/gallery/ (external link)
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

FEChariot
Goldmember
4,424 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Oct 05, 2016 09:18 |  #84

B&H has it for preorder now:

https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com …wa_12mm_f_2_8_z​ero_d.html (external link)

Canon 7D/350D, Σ17-50/2.8 OS, 18-55IS, 24-105/4 L IS, Σ30/1.4 EX, 50/1.8, C50/1.4, 55-250IS, 60/2.8, 70-200/4 L IS, 85/1.8, 100/2.8 IS L, 135/2 L 580EX II, 430EX II * 2, 270EX II.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,040 posts
Gallery: 547 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 12, 2016 09:24 |  #85

keithcooper wrote in post #18146330 (external link)
Fisheye hemi converts fisheye to various different projections, none of which are rectilinear.

I use it for interiors where the broadly cylindrical projection works. One thing to note is that the lens/camera needs to be level, lest you get converging/diverging verticals after applying it.

A wide rectilinear lens brings issues of its own, with the tendency of curved objects to give the impression of 'rushing off to the corners' when you get very wide. See the Venus review earlier at http://www.northlight-images.co.uk …nses/laowa_12mm​_f2-8.html (external link)

The rectilinear/cylindrica​l tradeoff was one thing I considered in a recent look at making a very wide angle B&W print
http://www.northlight-images.co.uk …es/staithes_bw_​print.html (external link)

As an architectural photographer, having control over the subtleties of projection for wide views is one of the reasons I just love digital over the clunkiness of big film ( YMMV ;-)a

Keith I just had a read of your review and noticed your comments about metering when using the lens being off, were you just using evaluative, or did you try the other modes too? I'm thinking that with a lens as wide as that you can end up with a lot more sky in the shot, and the camera doesn't know it's a UWA either. I ask because all of my use of unchipped manual lenses has been the other way, with very long telephoto, and all of the metering modes worked as expected, including evaluative. Personally I have gone over to CWA for general shooting as it seems less inclined to underexpose if there is an occasional very bright highlight in the frame, such as specular reflections from polished metal or glass.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

keithcooper
81 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Oct 13, 2016 09:43 |  #86

BigAl007 wrote in post #18154904 (external link)
Keith I just had a read of your review and noticed your comments about metering when using the lens being off, were you just using evaluative, or did you try the other modes too? I'm thinking that with a lens as wide as that you can end up with a lot more sky in the shot, and the camera doesn't know it's a UWA either. I ask because all of my use of unchipped manual lenses has been the other way, with very long telephoto, and all of the metering modes worked as expected, including evaluative. Personally I have gone over to CWA for general shooting as it seems less inclined to underexpose if there is an occasional very bright highlight in the frame, such as specular reflections from polished metal or glass.

Alan

I should admit to giving the metering no real attention beyond that mention. I put it down to the camera just not knowing there was a lens attached.

I rarely use metering in my day to day work - other than to check for odd lighting situations or get an initial estimate for scene lighting levels - the mode setting on my cameras is almost always set at 'M' :-)

bye for now
Keith Cooper
Northlight Images (external link)

kaitlyn2004
Goldmember
1,681 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 14, 2017 22:10 |  #87

Just came across this and I I can't quite read throug 86 pages.. but I saw everyone is talking about it beating the samyang. The sample photos LOOK impressive, but also the Samyang is listed at ~$300 on B&H. This lens is ~$950. Am I missing something? Aren't they in totally different categories?

My Landscape Photography Videos (external link)
My Instagram (external link)

pulsar123
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,186 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 16, 2017 16:08 |  #88

It is 6 pages, not 86 :)

I guess the "Samyang's killer" suggestion was made earlier when there was no price known for Laowa. I agree that price-wise they are now in two totally different categories, and in the "bang for the buck" department the Laowa is not an obvious winner (perhaps a looser).

6D, Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC, 135L, 70-200 f4L, Laowa 15mm 1:1 macro, 50mm f1.8 STM, Samyang 8mm fisheye, home studio

anscochrome
443 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 16, 2017 22:46 |  #89

Talley wrote in post #18146319 (external link)
I don't need to do that. This 12mm has very little distortion and the fisheye is a lens I use for fun mostly.

I want the lens reallh to cover wide something that it does really good at and it's 2.8 so good for me.

My slowest lenses will be both 12mm lol

Hey Talley: https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=KkPiIoPoTQA (external link)

Compared to a Sigma 12-24mm F 4.0, this Laowa is a piece of crap optically. Who ever would have thunk it? :)

http://anscochrome.zen​folio.com (external link)

anscochrome
443 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Post edited over 3 years ago by anscochrome.

Jan 16, 2017 22:51 |  #90

pulsar123 wrote in post #18246386 (external link)
It is 6 pages, not 86 :)

I guess the "Samyang's killer" suggestion was made earlier when there was no price known for Laowa. I agree that price-wise they are now in two totally different categories, and in the "bang for the buck" department the Laowa is not an obvious winner (perhaps a looser).

Looks like this bad boy has both of em' beat optically: https://www.amazon.com …&keywords=irix+​15mm+f+2.4 (external link)

Of course 15mm is not 14 or 12 mm :) But according to the inscrutable Christopher Frost, this irix number sounds like it kills all of them optically in the super wide department: https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=PlQVLbymaIQ (external link)

http://anscochrome.zen​folio.com (external link)

sponsored links

39,124 views & 20 likes for this thread
Laowa 12mm f2.8 zero distortion lens - a Samyang 14mm killer?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.