Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 Aug 2016 (Wednesday) 21:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 5D Mark IV -- Time to Discuss!

Lay
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Oct 2013
Post edited over 3 years ago by Lay.

Oct 13, 2016 00:51 |  #3826

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18155302 (external link)
thanks!

Other than us "some users" here, where else is it being reported may I ask?

Here in Finland. I did not put any links since the writings are in Finnish :)

Here is one example (Finnish language warning!): http://www.petripietil​ainen.fi …Canon+5D+Mark+I​V+ja+bugi/ (external link)

sponsored links
sploo
premature adulation
2,414 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Oct 13, 2016 03:55 |  #3827

vk2gwk wrote in post #18155474 (external link)
My new charger - that came with the 5D4 - does not charge after market batteries. The older charger for my 5D3 has no problem with them and charges correctly.
Any others with the same experience?

I found this when going from a 7D (mark I) to the 5D3 - they must have some firmware in the charger that tries to detect non-Canon originals.

Oddly I have two identical third party batteries (bought at the same time) and the 5D4 is fine with one, but tells me the other is not original and asks if I want to proceed.

Just a case of waiting a bit and ordering some hopefully updated batteries (that have "cracked" Canon's latest detection algorithm).

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

STIC
Goldmember
1,627 posts
Gallery: 360 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2012

Oct 13, 2016 04:00 |  #3828
bannedPermanent ban

sploo wrote in post #18155721 (external link)
I found this when going from a 7D (mark I) to the 5D3 - they must have some firmware in the charger that tries to detect non-Canon originals.

Oddly I have two identical third party batteries (bought at the same time) and the 5D4 is fine with one, but tells me the other is not original and asks if I want to proceed.

Just a case of waiting a bit and ordering some hopefully updated batteries (that have "cracked" Canon's latest detection algorithm).

Or...Canon could just go get F**ked!

Where do they get off deciding what brand of battery we should use?

Can you imagine buying a, for instance, FORD and then finding out it will only work with a FORD branded battery, and no third party equipment will work?

Or maybe, they do a deal with BP and you can't use any other brand of fuel?

7D MarkII l 50 1.8 STM l15-85 IS USM l 100-400 IS L l 2x converter l 580EX II l Wireless remote l A computer l Some software l A vehicle to get me around...;)

The ­ Limey
424 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 13, 2016 04:23 |  #3829

STIC wrote in post #18155723 (external link)

Can you imagine buying a, for instance, FORD and then finding out it will only work with a FORD branded battery, and no third party equipment will work?

Give em time:rolleyes:

7D,20D,1V.
24-105L.
17-85.4EF-S,50.1.4.

Neilyb
Cream of the Crop
5,192 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Oct 13, 2016 04:30 |  #3830

Wait until cars are all electric ;)

http://natureimmortal.​blogspot.com (external link)

http://www.natureimmor​tal.com (external link)

LincsRP
427 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 13, 2016 05:09 |  #3831

offcamber wrote in post #18134503 (external link)
I did a race shoot with it this weekend and shot JPEG, which is something i've never done for an entire race. I was happy to find that the JPEGS are almost as flexible as the RAW files are with the 5DMiv. I shot with RAW for about 15 minutes and after comparing those files with the JPEG's I can't see any reason for me to shoot RAW at least for sports with the Mark IV.

From files I've seen from a friends 5D4 (I don't have one, yet) in JPEG they're clean and with good colours. Still shooting +.7 as he was (and I am) with the 5D3.

Steve
www.lincsracephotos.co​.uk (external link)

jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,788 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Oct 13, 2016 06:35 |  #3832

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=IP_wfMeCIIY (external link)

Canon 5dmkIII | Canon 85L 1.2 | Sigma 35mm ART 1.4|Canon 16-35mm L 2.8 |Canon 24-70mm L f2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F2.8L MK2 | Canon 430EX MK2 Flickr (external link)

sploo
premature adulation
2,414 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Oct 13, 2016 09:22 |  #3833

Well, I can partly understand it from a manufacturer's perspective; if a faulty third party battery damaged your camera or charger you're unlikely to admit you weren't using an original, and so they end up covering the warranty for damage caused by someone else's faulty part.

On the flip side, it doesn't justify gouging when it comes to battery prices; hence the number of third party options available (as they can be made and sold at a much cheaper price).

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,350 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 13, 2016 09:35 |  #3834

WIth most battery technology it wasn't as important what brand batter was used but given the spectacular failure mode of a Li-ion battery, I can see why manufacturers are concerned. THese batteries don't just damage the equipment, they destroy it.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,349 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 13, 2016 09:35 |  #3835

You mean like inkjet printer makers claiming DMCA violations when you use 3rd party ink cartridges? Canon is hardly the first company to protect a highly profitable revenue source with shady tactics.

jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,788 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Oct 13, 2016 10:22 |  #3836

vk2gwk wrote in post #18155474 (external link)
My new charger - that came with the 5D4 - does not charge after market batteries. The older charger for my 5D3 has no problem with them and charges correctly.
Any others with the same experience?

my one charges third party batteries.

Canon 5dmkIII | Canon 85L 1.2 | Sigma 35mm ART 1.4|Canon 16-35mm L 2.8 |Canon 24-70mm L f2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F2.8L MK2 | Canon 430EX MK2 Flickr (external link)

RodS57
897 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Oct 13, 2016 10:23 |  #3837

gjl711 wrote in post #18155799 (external link)
WIth most battery technology it wasn't as important what brand batter was used but given the spectacular failure mode of a Li-ion battery, I can see why manufacturers are concerned. THese batteries don't just damage the equipment, they destroy it.

Agree. Just look at the Samsung note 7 - too many cases of battery catching on fire.

Rod

>>> Pictures? What pictures? <<<<

jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,788 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Oct 13, 2016 10:25 |  #3838

RodS57 wrote in post #18155829 (external link)
Agree. Just look at the Samsung note 7 - too many cases of battery catching on fire.

Rod

Doesnt justify paying 10x the amount for a battery. Samsung own official battery for the old note 4 did not cost an arm and a leg

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,350 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 13, 2016 10:28 |  #3839

RodS57 wrote in post #18155829 (external link)

Rod

And those were with manufacturer approved batteries. :)

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Nethawked
797 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2014

Oct 13, 2016 10:28 |  #3840

jonneymendoza wrote in post #18155832 (external link)
Doesnt justify paying 10x the amount for a battery. Samsung own official battery for the old note 4 did not cost an arm and a leg

10x?? Who are you, Donald Trump? :lol:

sponsored links

820,385 views & 2,668 likes for this thread
Canon 5D Mark IV -- Time to Discuss!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.