Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 12 Oct 2016 (Wednesday) 22:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need some help

Evertking
456 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jul 2016
Post edited over 2 years ago by Evertking. (2 edits in all)

Oct 12, 2016 22:30 |  #1

Today I found a spot and came back to take pics but none of them turned out for me. I will post a few and maybe some of y'all can tell me what I don't wrong.
Aperture 7.1
1/200
Iso 125
85mm 1.8

Going back looking at the raw file, I think my light meter was set for iso 100 and not 125?? Hmm.. I may have accidentally hit a button.
But the images look washed out and out of focus. I am able to get sharp focus with this lens indoors but when I step outside, it's a different story.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,100 posts
Gallery: 1552 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Oct 13, 2016 03:44 |  #2

Hrm,

Use any filters by chance?

Can't tell but looks potentially back-lit, and I know it can be difficult for the camera to focus into the sun if the flare from the sun is entering the lens, causing loss of contrast which makes it hunt or be off for focus even in strong light. As for focus here, the tiny hairs are sharp at this size, and at F7.1 it should be in depth of field focus, unless it slightly back focused (I can't tell here though on this size of image).

The washed out issue to me is a combination of a few things: 1) over-exposed ambient light; the sky is blown out and the highlights around subject's hair are blown out. 2) low contrast, this is common with over-exposure and also with sun light entering a lens too. 3) white balance and saturation (flash looks cooler temp than ambient, and ambient could be warmer).

To re-do this image, I would meter the sky, so it's not over-exposed, to keep color & texture there. If you can't achieve that at 1/200s with a stopped down aperture, add a ND filter (I use 3 stop filters for this, usually a single 3 stop will get you in the ball park). Alternatively use a faster shutter, and use HSS on the light(s). The sky should be exposed properly and not blown out white. From there, I would drop that ambient exposure by -2/3rds of a stop or so. You can do this with the in-camera meter or with a light meter. If using HSS, you cannot measure it with a light meter. But if you use ETTL & HSS, just set it to -1 FEC and chimp a shot, the goal being fill. Also, use a 1/4th CTO gel on your light here to match the ambient and flash temperatures. If using a ND filter and not using HSS, you can meter with your light meter and measure your light. Make it fill light by measuring it to -2/3rds or -1 stop compared to ambient exposure of subject's face, just enough to knock out shadows, but not at key level exposure.

Otherwise, nice composition and location.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Evertking
THREAD ­ STARTER
456 posts
Joined Jul 2016
Post edited over 2 years ago by Evertking. (4 edits in all)

Oct 13, 2016 04:16 |  #3

It was about 5 pm about an hour or so before golden hour. Sun was to her back on camera left . I used one speedlight in a soft box set to 1/4 power and I metered that at and got f7.1
Most of them turned out like this. But did get one or two that were ok.
This is with HSS 1/2500 F2.5 iso 125
I'm on my phone and have the raw files with the info but don't guess I can post them here?

Still not getting the pics that I envision.. and one or two out of say 20 or 30! Ugh.. I know it's something that I'm doing and making newb mistakes.. just not sure what.

HOSTED PHOTO

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,064 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 13, 2016 14:35 |  #4

Evertking wrote in post #18155556 (external link)
But the images look washed out and out of focus.

The soft, low-contrast look that you have achieved here typically happens when shooting backlit scenes. I actually really like the nice soft look - many folks intentionally shoot into the light in order to achieve this beautiful, soft, low contrast look.

If you do not want this look, and you want bolder colors with greater contrast and sharpness, then I suggest that you use the ambient light differently, and don't shoot your subject when she is lit from behind like she is in this image.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

kjonnnn
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Oct 13, 2016 18:49 |  #5

Are you on manual with the top photo?

captainkirk
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Oct 13, 2016 20:01 as a reply to  @ Evertking's post |  #6

I liked the second picture - just wanted to comment on the composition. I wish the grass field extended beyond her head eliminating the green completely (maybe change the angle a little). Also f/4 or f/5.6 might have given the background grass some more texture.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,064 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 2 years ago by Tom Reichner.

Oct 13, 2016 20:22 |  #7

captainkirk wrote in post #18156249 (external link)
I liked the second picture - just wanted to comment on the composition. I wish the grass field extended beyond her head eliminating the green completely (maybe change the angle a little).

I agree. The change between the dark green of the backgrund and the light brown of the field is a huge element in this composition. When the scene you are photographing has such a big, attention-grabbing transition in it, it is important to give some careful consideration to just where that edge falls, in relation to your primary subject. In many cases, it is best to simply eliminate it from the frame altogether, such as you have suggested.

Usually, topography within a field varies just enough that you can have your model move a few yards and thereby gain the relative height that you need in order to eliminate the dark background from the frame.

Having this edge transect with the very apex of her head is distracting, to say the least.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Evertking
THREAD ­ STARTER
456 posts
Joined Jul 2016
Post edited over 2 years ago by Evertking.

Oct 13, 2016 20:55 as a reply to  @ kjonnnn's post |  #8

Yes, I was in manual.
Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Yes, I should have paid more attention to that tree line. On my next day off, I will go back out and try again.

Iscariotau
516 posts
Gallery: 53 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Oct 13, 2016 21:44 |  #9

I dont really see anything wrong with either of them :-) The second one inparticular.

MyFlickr (external link)

Qbx
Goldmember
3,917 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 14, 2016 09:14 |  #10

#1 Has way too much headroom. I'd suggest going vertical cropping the left and most of the white space just up to the top of her head. Then, I'd darken and boost contrast/clarity of her hair.

This looks to me like sunlight hitting the lens causing loss of contrast. You might use a piece of cardboard taped on top of your lens (or just hold it by hand, or use an umbrella) to block the sun.

-- Image Editing OK --

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,237 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Oct 14, 2016 20:18 |  #11

Most of what you perceive as "wrong" can be corrected with some careful PP. I took a shot at #2, hope you don't mind.

HOSTED PHOTO

Mark

Gart
457 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 14, 2016 23:30 as a reply to  @ rrblint's post |  #12

Personally I don't think that helped the image. Blurry mess on the top half and too much sharpening or whatever on the bottom half.

What is pleasing to some is not necessarily so to others.

Gart

sponsored links

2,169 views & 5 likes for this thread
Need some help
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.