Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 11 Oct 2016 (Tuesday) 15:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

can my laptop be saved

rantercsr
Goldmember
2,977 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Oct 11, 2016 15:48 |  #1

so my laptop... same as this one --> https://www.amazon.com …1080-Gaming/dp/B00TZ7SDVC (external link)

Nothing crazy special , but not too shabby either , i dont think
i'm no pc gamer , but i use it for photo and video editing and figured a gaming laptop would probably have a better gpu than "regular" laptop

battery went bad, so i changed it .. wasnt exactly easy as you have to open up the whole laptop to do so.. what a PITA that was..
noticed one of the fans stopped working .. but i just let it stay like that for a while , then i decided i'd open it back up and see if maybe some wire for that fan was not connected.. something touched something sparks flew , i threw up a white flag and took it to microcenter the next day

so they said mother board issues..

i kinda screwed the motherboard a little .. basically the point where the display gets connected is no good ..

however , the hdmi out is good.. so i can still use it , with a monitor.. well, better than a total loss right?

however it was also severlly infected with malware,spyware viruses what ever .. it was pretty bad , what was once a peppy laptop was slower than my $250 toshiba laptop
tried kaspersky.. which made it better but than full of error messages ..
read that some times these viruses or whatever screw up registry and things will never run the same

so time for a fresh re-install of windows 10... halfway in through the process and the hdmi out is no longer working.. i suppose its a feature that probably is disabled or a driver has to be reinstalled for that feature to work again.. either way at this point i'v got myself a $1200 paper weight..

what are my options here if any.?
quick searches online show mother boards for this laptop at around $450.. plus labor to install..doesnt really seem worth it to me.. at this point i wouldnt mind so much for now to use it with an external montior ..
is it possible to remove hardrive , put in my desktop , intstall windows 10 plus what ever video related drivers to get hdmi out to work again, then put harddrive back in laptop?

any suggestions?

I got a couple of Cameras and lenses ...Canon, Sony, Fuji, Pansonic, pentax
My portraits IG (external link)My everything else IG (external link)
MY flickr (external link)
My latest YT video -->https://youtu.be/YzJ1o​eiHm7Y (external link)

sponsored links
FuturamaJSP
Goldmember
2,227 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited over 2 years ago by FuturamaJSP.

Oct 12, 2016 04:38 |  #2

if its just the cable connecting the mobo and the monitor that got damaged you may be able to find either a replacement cable or an entire new monitor on Amazon or ebay and fix it yourself but if its something that is soldered onto the mobo... not sure how easy or if its even possible to replace the entire mobo on a laptop

for the malware that your laptop got infected with, try Combofix and Malwarebytes.
both of them should be able to remove most if not all of the crap that your laptop got infected with.
Kaspersky was great like ten years ago...

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I said I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard! - Fallout New Vegas
blah blah blah
DA (external link)

Aronis
137 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2014

Oct 12, 2016 16:14 |  #3

Do a search for a similar failure on that same machine.

There is a great Fix It yourself site for macs (www.ifixit.com (external link)) but I haver not seen similar for windows machines.

Mike

1Dx, 10D 28-70 L 2.8, 50 1.4, 28 2.8

FuturamaJSP
Goldmember
2,227 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited over 2 years ago by FuturamaJSP.

Oct 14, 2016 03:27 as a reply to  @ Aronis's post |  #4

plenty of them on Youtube :)

Also most Windows users know how to fix their own computers ;)

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I said I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard! - Fallout New Vegas
blah blah blah
DA (external link)

joeseph
"smells like turd"
9,877 posts
Gallery: 107 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Oct 14, 2016 03:32 |  #5

rantercsr wrote in post #18154341 (external link)
is it possible to remove hardrive , put in my desktop , intstall windows 10 plus what ever video related drivers to get hdmi out to work again, then put harddrive back in laptop?

no harm in trying this, just make sure the original drives in the desktop are disconnected for the duration...

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

FuturamaJSP
Goldmember
2,227 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 14, 2016 03:57 as a reply to  @ joeseph's post |  #6

that won't help.
I believe it has something to do with BIOS, not sure, but I have replaced motherboards before and had to reinstall windows each time.
So installing windows on the same hdd in another machine and put the hdd back into the laptop wont work

blah blah blah
DA (external link)

urbanfreestyle
I am a squirrel who loves rubbing bottles and I have Nuts in my drawers, too!
2,046 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Oct 14, 2016 04:03 |  #7

FuturamaJSP wrote in post #18156466 (external link)
Also most Windows users know how to fix their own computers ;)

LOL! Statistically no.

Facebook (external link)
Canon 1D Mk IV | Canon 50mm 1.8 Mk1 | Sigma 'Bigma' 50-500 | Fuji XE1 | Helios 44/m | 50mm 1.4 | Manfrotto 055CX PRO3 | 3LT Mohawk ballhead | Lubitel 2 med format camera |

sponsored links

1,819 views & 1 like for this thread
can my laptop be saved
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.