Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 Aug 2016 (Wednesday) 21:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 5D Mark IV -- Time to Discuss!

STIC
Goldmember
1,627 posts
Gallery: 360 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2012

Oct 14, 2016 04:05 |  #3871
bannedPermanent ban

welshwizard1971 wrote in post #18156417 (external link)
Don't ever buy an Apple product then.....

Would never dream of it...I simply can't stand apple products!

7D MarkII l 50 1.8 STM l15-85 IS USM l 100-400 IS L l 2x converter l 580EX II l Wireless remote l A computer l Some software l A vehicle to get me around...;)

sponsored links
jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,788 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Oct 14, 2016 04:12 |  #3872

Neilyb wrote in post #18156476 (external link)
An update from CPS Germany.

"Dear Mr. Burton,

Thank you for your answer.

Actually, we received some feedback from other customers over the years with the same issue. This happens then when only the TC is to the camera attached. In this case, you have an “open circuit” and the camera will keep trying to communicate – even is the camera is switched of – through the TC with the Lens, which is not attached. This will happen not with all gears, but from time to time, we receive some feedback like yours. The ON/OFF switch works not a real switch, but it is actually a “software-switch”, so the camera can continue communicate with the other components.

In these cases, we recommend to attach also the lens to the TC. Due to the length of your gear, this will not the best option for you. Either you take the battery out from the camera, or you attach the TC direct to the lens, without the camera.

You can also try to reset the camera to the factory settings (clear all camera settings).

We hope to have helped you."

So, we are aware of the problem and can do/will do nothing about it.

QUALITY

Canon 5dmkIII | Canon 85L 1.2 | Sigma 35mm ART 1.4|Canon 16-35mm L 2.8 |Canon 24-70mm L f2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F2.8L MK2 | Canon 430EX MK2 Flickr (external link)

Neilyb
Cream of the Crop
5,192 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Oct 14, 2016 04:30 |  #3873

jonneymendoza wrote in post #18156483 (external link)
QUALITY

Yes. I am quite sure with the price we pay for their TC'S that a way could be found to shut down the circuit if a lens is not attached? Although they do not say that it does not also happen when certain lenses are attached. Very odd. Never noticed this on the 1Dx. Will have to test.

http://natureimmortal.​blogspot.com (external link)

http://www.natureimmor​tal.com (external link)

John_T
Goldmember
3,098 posts
Gallery: 127 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2003

Oct 14, 2016 04:45 |  #3874

As far as I know, the rule is always attach the TC to the lens, then the combo to the body, otherwise errors may occur.

Canon : EOS R : 5DIV : 5DS R : 5DIII : 7DII : 40 2.8 : 50 1.4 : 35L : 85L : 100L IS Macro : 135L : 16-35L II : RF-24-105L IS : 70-200L II : 100-400L IS II : 1.4x & 2x TC III : 600EX-RT : 580EX : 430EX : G1XII : Markins Q10 & Q3T : Jobu Gimbal : Manfrotto Underware : etc...

sploo
premature adulation
2,414 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Oct 14, 2016 05:01 |  #3875

John_T wrote in post #18156494 (external link)
As far as I know, the rule is always attach the TC to the lens, then the combo to the body, otherwise errors may occur.

Yea, reading Neilyb's response from Canon I was just going to note that. As far as I understand, the camera sees a lens + TC as a separate "entity" to just the lens, so it makes sense to keep lens and TC together, and then attach simultaneously.

As for the switch being a "software" switch; it's pretty common on products these days. Plus, if it were a hard power cut off then turning the camera off whilst it were still writing to a card would lose data. By doing it as software then the camera (I assume) could finish the writes.

I can sort of see why you might end up with the open circuit problem, though I guess if the switch were off it could try for, say, 10 minutes then give up. What we don't know is what other behaviours the camera has that might be negatively affected by making that change (modern devices can be complex beasts, and a firmware change in one area can cause unexpected bugs in others).

All that said, I've not put a TC on my 5D4 yet, and I'm d*mn certain it eats batteries overnight. BTW It's just come back from its lens+body tweak for the AF problem. A quick first test indicated an improvement, but I haven't had time to test fully yet.

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,136 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Joined May 2002

Oct 14, 2016 05:16 as a reply to  @ sploo's post |  #3876

My first question is "why is the camera trying to talk to the lens when the switch is off?". I can understand keeping the system up when off, or monitor the battery or flash cards, but what value is there talking to the lens?

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

John_T
Goldmember
3,098 posts
Gallery: 127 photos
Joined Jun 2003
Post edited over 3 years ago by John_T. (2 edits in all)

Oct 14, 2016 05:44 |  #3877

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18156511 (external link)
My first question is "why is the camera trying to talk to the lens when the switch is off?". I can understand keeping the system up when off, or monitor the battery or flash cards, but what value is there talking to the lens?

...cause when you turn the switch on on the camera, the camera needs to know its state and all about all that is attached to the camera to be instantly ready for action and the demands of the Oaf behind the VF. All the off switch does is disable all the buttons, but otherwise remains in a ready or standby state, otherwise you don't get instant on. You can even cut off the auto self cleaning by touching the shutter button.

When you attach the TC alone to the body, the body asks the TC who it is...

The TC answers "Well, I'm a bridge... that shouldn't be here yet..."

"Ok, bridge to where?"

"Dunno, but please wait with the power on so I can tell you when the other party shows up and introduces himself (or herself), and then maybe the Oaf behind the VF will tell you what to do, if you've got any power left, that is..."

Canon : EOS R : 5DIV : 5DS R : 5DIII : 7DII : 40 2.8 : 50 1.4 : 35L : 85L : 100L IS Macro : 135L : 16-35L II : RF-24-105L IS : 70-200L II : 100-400L IS II : 1.4x & 2x TC III : 600EX-RT : 580EX : 430EX : G1XII : Markins Q10 & Q3T : Jobu Gimbal : Manfrotto Underware : etc...

AnnieMacD
Oops, me again
3,810 posts
Gallery: 699 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Aug 2012

Oct 14, 2016 06:07 |  #3878

John_T wrote in post #18156520 (external link)
...cause when you turn the switch on on the camera, the camera needs to know its state and all about all that is attached to the camera to be instantly ready for action and the demands of the Oaf behind the VF. All the off switch does is disable all the buttons, but otherwise remains in a ready or standby state, otherwise you don't get instant on. You can even cut off the auto self cleaning by touching the shutter button.

"Ok, bridge to where?"

"Dunno, but please wait with the power on so I can tell you when the other party shows up and introduces himself (or herself), and then maybe the Oaf behind the VF will tell you what to do, if you've got any power left, that is..."

I'm sending my camera back as it doesn't talk to me. :lol:

flickr (external link)

gvg45
527 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Oct 14, 2016 07:42 |  #3879

John_T wrote in post #18156520 (external link)

"Ok, bridge to where?"

John..aka..the camera whisperer :lol::-P;-)a

~Greg

RodS57
906 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Oct 14, 2016 10:36 |  #3880

jonneymendoza wrote in post #18156450 (external link)
not everything revolves around the US unfortunately.

WOW! When did that happen? I gotta watch the news more often.

Rod

>>> Pictures? What pictures? <<<<

Cap'n ­ Fishy
876 posts
Gallery: 1216 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 14, 2016 13:41 |  #3881

jonneymendoza wrote in post #18156450 (external link)
not everything revolves around the US unfortunately.

Or you could say, not everything revolves around the US... fortunately. ;-)a

These are small, but the ones out there are far away.
flickr (external link)

don1163
Goldmember
1,000 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Joined May 2015

Oct 14, 2016 14:00 |  #3882

I dont quite see why people are leaving their converters atatched to the camera without a lens anyway..
You are supposed to fit the converter to the lens first, so you would have to dismount it from the camera in order to fit a lens..

1DX, 500L f4, 70-200L f2.8II, 100L f2.8 macro ,16-35 f4, 1.4xIII, Metz 64-AF1

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,087 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Oct 14, 2016 14:05 |  #3883

don1163 wrote in post #18156864 (external link)
I dont quite see why people are leaving their converters atatched to the camera without a lens anyway..
You are supposed to fit the converter to the lens first, so you would have to dismount it from the camera in order to fit a lens..

You never wanted to turn your body cap pinhole mod into a 1.4x pinhole lens? lol

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,136 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Joined May 2002

Oct 14, 2016 14:07 as a reply to  @ John_T's post |  #3884

Well I write enough software to know you don't endlessly run communications to unresponsive devices in an endless loop until you lose power. You implement a delay that increases until you detect any user input or you get a response.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

planet5D
251 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Oct 14, 2016 14:39 |  #3885

Tony Northrup posts short review of the Canon EOS 5D Mark IV...
https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=yZY0BDMVIoQ (external link)

My Short summary: he thinks it should have EVF, 50mp, different 4k codec and no crop in 4k video and wishes it didn't have an AA filter. He'd rather shoot the Canon EOS 5DsR for more 'detail'

I thing many of us would give different opinion but he's entitled to his :)

I happen to love mine

Light L16: http://lightRumors.co
the premier community for Light L16 owners

sponsored links

821,966 views & 2,668 likes for this thread
Canon 5D Mark IV -- Time to Discuss!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.