Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 14 Oct 2016 (Friday) 23:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need a few opinions please

Silver979
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Oct 2016

Oct 14, 2016 23:45 |  #1

My 7d finally crapped out on me and I'm on a budget and needing to get another camera, likely a Rebel. I now mainly shoot landscape and portrait work.

I know by going to the older rebel series XTi, XSi, T2i, I'll lose KWB (which is what I mainly shot in). Shooting in good light, do you think I'll see huge difference in image quality in ISO 100-400 range?

I know it probably sounds like a stupid question, but I've never used any of the rebel line. I started with a 40d in 2008 and went to the 7d in 2011, so it will be a big jump back.

Thanks

sponsored links
DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,380 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Oct 15, 2016 00:17 |  #2

why not go back to a 40D...they've gotta be pretty cheap now a days

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,052 posts
Gallery: 547 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 15, 2016 07:26 |  #3

DreDaze wrote in post #18157266 (external link)
why not go back to a 40D...they've gotta be pretty cheap now a days

Or even a 50D? They are pretty cheap too now from what I have seen. Personally though I would try to find another 7D if at all possible. That way you will still be able to use all of your other accessories like batteries, memory cards and remote releases. The xxD's up to the 50D use CF cards, and the same remotes, but the older BP511 battery. The Rebels that you mention use SD cards, not CF, the other type of remote release, and a different battery, the LPE4 IIRC rather than the LPE6 of the 7D and later xxD cameras (which also switch to SD card).

It is important to take these things into consideration when looking at what camera you might consider, since buying new ancilliaries will eat some budget that could be better spent on the body.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
6,768 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 15, 2016 09:30 |  #4

What happened to the 7D?

Could you have it repaired for what you might spend on another camera?

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/147975282@N06 (external link)

crbinson
614 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Oct 15, 2016 09:41 |  #5

You may be surprised at how reasonable lightly used 7D are selling for these days. Browse the classified section here on the forum.

My Flickr (external link) | My Gear List

mwsilver
Goldmember
4,021 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by mwsilver.

Oct 15, 2016 10:40 |  #6

Silver979 wrote in post #18157257 (external link)
My 7d finally crapped out on me and I'm on a budget and needing to get another camera, likely a Rebel. I now mainly shoot landscape and portrait work.

I know by going to the older rebel series XTi, XSi, T2i, I'll lose KWB (which is what I mainly shot in). Shooting in good light, do you think I'll see huge difference in image quality in ISO 100-400 range?

I know it probably sounds like a stupid question, but I've never used any of the rebel line. I started with a 40d in 2008 and went to the 7d in 2011, so it will be a big jump back.

Thanks

Is you are comfortable with the size and weight, how it fits in your hand, and the control layout of the 7D, you may not be happy with an older smaller, less robust, Rebel with a more limited feature set, AF system, and control layout. I have a 7D2, and the thought of going back permanently to my t2i would be depressing. What's wrong with your 7D? Have your priced repairs?

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab Elite, ON1

LJ3Jim
Goldmember
1,358 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Oct 15, 2016 11:26 |  #7

Silver979 wrote in post #18157257 (external link)

To answer your question, the T2i has the same sensor as the 7D. Thus the image quality at ISO 100-400 would be the same. I don't know what sensors were in the XTi and XSi.

Image editing ok; C&C always welcome.

Silver979
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Oct 2016

Oct 15, 2016 19:21 |  #8

Thank you everyone for your reposnses.

I would go back to the 40d or even get a 50d, but to get one in good shape with under 50k shutter actuations is still just more than I have to spend. Life is good for a swift kick in the rear from time to time.

My 7d locks up every few shots. Turn it off, take out the battery, undo the glass, clean the contacts, hook everything back up and it will work again for a few shots and then lock back up.

It may just need service, but for what the service costs, I can't risk that not fixing it and being out the service cost and whatever else it may be.....ya know.

DreDaze
18,380 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Oct 15, 2016 19:59 |  #9

Silver979 wrote in post #18157876 (external link)

I would go back to the 40d or even get a 50d, but to get one in good shape with under 50k shutter actuations is still just more than I have to spend. Life is good for a swift kick in the rear from time to time.

My 7d locks up every few shots. Turn it off, take out the battery, undo the glass, clean the contacts, hook everything back up and it will work again for a few shots and then lock back up.

It may just need service, but for what the service costs, I can't risk that not fixing it and being out the service cost and whatever else it may be.....ya know.

to get an estimate on the servicing costs all you would have to do is send it to canon...if they tell you how much it costs and it's too much then you can look at selling the 7D for parts/repair...the amount of money you get from that should be enough for a 40D/50D

Andre or Dre
gear list
flickr (external link)

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Oct 15, 2016 20:28 |  #10
bannedPermanent ban

Re-flash the firmware. Costs nothing. May help.

mwsilver
Goldmember
4,021 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 15, 2016 23:13 |  #11

Can you give us an idea of your budget? If you send it to Canon they will not charge you a repair fee if they can not repair it to good working order. Not sure why you're so reluctant to at least find out what it will cost to fix your camera rather than buy an equally aging Rebel with fewer capabilities. And an aging Rebel could fail as well.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab Elite, ON1

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
6,768 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2010
Post edited over 4 years ago by saea501.

Oct 16, 2016 06:35 |  #12

Forgive me, but this is crazy. From your description it sounds like it might not need that much. It's not like you dropped it 20 feet onto concrete. Have even called Canon?

I can't imagine being willing, and seemingly wanting, to spend three or four hundred bucks on a used pice when you might be able to repair yours for less.

Maybe I'm just missing something. -?

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/147975282@N06 (external link)

DreDaze
18,380 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Oct 16, 2016 09:52 as a reply to  @ saea501's post |  #13

He's not paying 3-400 on another body...doubt he would even pay 100...those rebels he's looking at are super old

But i do agree sending it in and getting an estimate is the way to go

Andre or Dre
gear list
flickr (external link)

mwsilver
Goldmember
4,021 posts
Joined Oct 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by mwsilver. (2 edits in all)

Oct 16, 2016 11:49 |  #14

DreDaze wrote in post #18158231 (external link)
He's not paying 3-400 on another body...doubt he would even pay 100...those rebels he's looking at are super old

But i do agree sending it in and getting an estimate is the way to go

And when he buys this super old Rebel for $150-200 and it bites the dust in a year, what then? I checked on eBay. The t2i prices range from around $150 on the low end to over $350. I don't believe the OP has mentioned how much he can afford, but if he can afford a used t2i, its possible he could also afford to have Canon fix his much superior 7D.

Mark

DreDaze
18,380 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Oct 16, 2016 13:08 as a reply to  @ mwsilver's post |  #15

If you look at sold listings you'll see not one going for over $300...

I'm all for repair as I said previously, but I think worrying about something breaking down the line is just silly

I think he should do this:

-Send 7D to canon, get estimate

-If estimate is low enough pay for fix

-if estimate is too high, sell 7D for repair/parts use that money to buy an older body

Andre or Dre
gear list
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

3,667 views & 18 likes for this thread
Need a few opinions please
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.