Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 18 Oct 2016 (Tuesday) 13:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

SPEED CHALLENGE -winner/hosting unpopular

Trumper
Goldmember
1,143 posts
Joined May 2003

Oct 18, 2016 13:25 |  #1

People don't like the judging /hosting part of the competition and the 2nd spot is deemed to be the real winner.This COULD mean that people really don't go out to put out the one that could win [win being a strong word LOL, only for fun really no prize as such).
It seems that "winning" has actually become a punishment if you don't want to host /judge.
I wonder if there is any way round this where maybe the entries are judged in a 1,2,3 by EVERYONE and the most votes gets the position.
That way everyone can participate and no -one is held for judging,all the "winner" has to do is choose a subject.
If anyone has any thoughts ,ideas about this :oops: or any options etc.

sponsored links
OhLook
insufferably pedantic. I can live with that.
21,021 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Oct 18, 2016 13:43 |  #2

I doubt that people are aiming for second place. It just happens. Getting 2nd on purpose would be too hard. You never know what others will post or what the host will choose. When I enter, I post the best I have if I have anything good that fits the theme. If I have nothing that comes near to the quality of what's already posted, I stay out and spare the host from thinking up a polite comment about mine.

The standard answer has been "If you won't host next time, don't enter." One recent week, for instance, I knew I'd have a big dental appointment on the Monday of the next judging, so I let the challenge go. Some people are ambivalent about winning, but that doesn't mean they don't want to win.

The weekly competition for compact cameras is judged by voting. This works well, but the winner still has to invent a theme for next time. One drawback: the period for entering photos is shorter because the voting window is long.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
10,415 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 18, 2016 13:49 |  #3

Trumper wrote in post #18160342 (external link)
...This COULD mean that people really don't go out to put out the one that could win.

That is not the case for me. I always try my best. However, in the rare event that I get the nod for the first place, judging the entries for the next challenge is stressful for me simply because I consider just about everyone in the G-series challenges to be more talented and skillful in the subject of photography than I am. I do realize that opinions differ on the placement and ranking of the participants, as is evident by frequent post challenge comments. However, those comments tend to cast a shadow of a doubt for the one running the challenge as far as the decision he/she reached. Perhaps community voting, similar to the P&S challenge series, is the way to go. It gives everyone an equal opportunity to express their preferences on the entries.
Just my 2

JimAskew
Cream of the Crop
7,700 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 18, 2016 14:52 |  #4

I do not mind hosting/judging when I win a contest. It is part of the rules we all agree to when we play. I am not offended when other folks single out their favorite selections that are not the same as mine. Judging is subjective and we all see the world a little differently.

I really enjoy the weekly challenges and look forward to competing in them. As for judging, the vote point system used in other contests here will work just fine but it does not relieve the host from having to tally up the votes and declare the winner. If 7 or 8 or more players are in the contest then this can be a chore in its on right.

To me the biggest challenge in winning is coming up with a new challenge that would make people want to play. I did a challenge a few weeks ago and didn't get a single entry! Now that was embarrassing:-)

Jim -- I keep the Leica D-Lux 7 in the Glove Box just in case!
7D, G5X, 10-22MM EF-S, 17-55MM f/2.8 EF-S IS, 24-105MM f/4 EF L, Leica D-Lux 7

Spoco57
343 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2013

Oct 18, 2016 15:49 |  #5

It is sometimes difficult to come up with a challenge and by calling 2nd and 3rd the sweet spots I'm definitely saying that with a smile. If I didn't enjoy the challenges, I wouldn't participate at all. I am also sometimes surprised when I enter a photo which I do not feel is as good as some of the others and it wins. I've enjoyed the spirit of the competition and the fact that nobody has seemed to take it overly seriously. The goodwill and kindness with which photos are discussed, and the fact that people feel free to say that they liked one or another of the photos has been refreshing and helpful. I'm not in it to win it, I'm in it to have fun with nice people and to learn and try to up my game, and if my photo wins I definitely feel flattered and validated.

just ­ whistle
I just happened upon this thread
844 posts
Gallery: 117 photos
Joined Jan 2015

Oct 18, 2016 16:15 |  #6

I haven't entered anything in a while because I'm not using the G7X much these days but I always look to see what the challenge is for the week. I enjoy reading the thoughts of the hosting member regarding all the entries, I like that aspect of this challenge.

Lesley

teekay
Goldmember
3,037 posts
Joined Apr 2001
Post edited over 4 years ago by teekay.

Oct 18, 2016 18:18 as a reply to  @ just whistle's post |  #7

Trumper, you didn't need to start this new thread about the rules as there is already a thread devoted to this very subject, where various changes such as size limits etc, have been discussed and amended over the years. So maybe a moderator could move all the postings here over to that?

Check the "Stickies" thread in the G-series section and you'll find it: https://photography-on-the.net …thread.php?t=59​640&page=1

As for deliberately trying to come in second, I doubt that anyone really does that even if it's always good to be #2!

We should keep the winner rules "as is". They have worked well for over ten years now and there's no need to change them just because someone wants to get out of the job - maybe he just didn't understand the rules well.

As OhLook has said, if you may not be able to host the next challenge if you win, then don't enter the current one - easy!

Setting and judging may be a new experience and not easy for some, but it can be very good learning experience.

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
33,810 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Oct 18, 2016 18:37 |  #8

I agree.... play at your own risk of winning!!!!:-P :p This competition has been going on for many years & should stay within the rules it was set up as (minus the few amendments that have been made along the way). Yes, it is a little bit of a pain to host & judge but that is what it is all about. Let's just keep moving forward.

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
7DMK2
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 135/2.0, 100-400mm II, 24-70/2.8 II

connor8100
71 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Oct 18, 2016 19:12 |  #9

No offense here guys, but one of the things that stops me from entering (not that I would win) is my apprehension of hosting.Have read the rules and am unsure of being able to recreate the format. Just being honest. Chris

OhLook
insufferably pedantic. I can live with that.
21,021 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Oct 18, 2016 19:53 as a reply to  @ connor8100's post |  #10

Chris, this is a version of the template I made to use when hosting. It includes the codes for all the format items, such as color/size changes and links. You or anyone is free to use it as a starting point. Just change the parts that will be different in your new challenge.

[CENTER][SIZE=3][B]Cha​llenge #563, Motion Blur[/B][/SIZE][/CENTE​R]

[COLOR=Blue]This week's topic is [B]motion blur. [/B]Let's see some motion blur, intentional or not, that contributes to making your shot a good one.

Remember, if you post a photo, you may be the winner. Be prepared to host and judge a new challenge.[/COLOR]

To submit, click [B][I]POST TO THREAD [/I][/B]and put your photo title in the first line of the post. Don't forget your camera model.

[B]Post until Monday noon GMT, [COLOR=Blue]7 December 2015.[/COLOR][/B]

[SIZE=+1][B][U]Photo Submissions[/U][/B][/S​IZE]
[LIST=1]
[*][B]Camera[/B] -- Canon G-Series Camera G1, G2, G3, G5, G6, G7, G9, G10, G11, G12, G15, G16, G1X, G1X Mark II and Pro1 only.

[*][B]Time[/B] -- Any on-topic photo taken at any time is eligible, although photos that have won other competitions should NOT be entered.

[*][B]Size [/B]-- Photo must be [B]no less than 800 pixels[/B] and [B]no more than 1280 pixels[/B] on the longest side, with NO BORDERS.

[*][B]Post-Processing[/B] -- Do whatever you like and the host will decide if it works.

[*][B]Posting[/B] --
[LIST]
[*]One photo per photographer in each challenge.
[*]Photo title in the message subject line.
[*]Camera model.
[*]EXIF data, if you like.
[/LIST]
[*][B]Commenting[/B] -- No commenting on photos by anyone, including the photographer. Once the winners are declared, photographers can add comments to their images and everyone is invited to discuss.

[*][B]Photo Display[/B] -- Photos must appear in this thread to be eligible.

[/LIST]
[SIZE=+1][B][U]Time[/U​][/B][/SIZE]

One challenge every week, on the following schedule:
[LIST]
[*][B]New Topic[/B] ... As soon as possible after winning.
[*][B]Posting Starts[/B] ... Right after topic is announced.
[*][B]Posting Stops[/B] ... Monday noon GMT.
[*][B]Winners Announcement[/B] ... Tuesday noon GMT or earlier.
[/LIST]

[CENTER][B]~~~~~~~~~~~​~~~~[/B][/CENTER]

[URL=http://photograph​y-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=113480][B][U]​Click this sentence for Hosting Rules and Winners List.[/U][/B][/URL]

[URL=http://photograph​y-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=59640][B][U]C​lick this sentence for Discussion of Rules thread.[/U][/B][/URL]

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

teekay
Goldmember
3,037 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Oct 18, 2016 23:42 |  #11

connor8100 wrote in post #18160597 (external link)
No offense here guys, but one of the things that stops me from entering (not that I would win) is my apprehension of hosting.Have read the rules and am unsure of being able to recreate the format. Just being honest. Chris

And to add to OhLook's post, you can be sure that anyone here would help you if asked, so please don't be afraid to enter the challenges as we can always use more entries and newcomers with new ideas and styles are most welcome.

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
33,810 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Oct 19, 2016 01:33 |  #12

connor8100 wrote in post #18160597 (external link)

Don't let that stop you. When our format changed, I had to ask for help in posting a challenge as well, even though I had done it for years under the old structure. This is a no pressure, just for fun challenge so please come join us!!!

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
7DMK2
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 135/2.0, 100-400mm II, 24-70/2.8 II

Trumper
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,143 posts
Joined May 2003

Oct 19, 2016 11:29 |  #13

I started this thread here because i wasn't sure how many people would actively look in the rules section [and i never thought about posting it in there LOL :oops: ) ,and i wanted to gauge others thoughts.I know what i put in about 2nd place being the real 1 st place is a bit tongue in cheek but it has been mentioned several times.Personally i don't mind hosting and judging but it means the host misses out on entering for a week LOL.
I don't want people not to take part because as Connor8100 said about hosting /judging and also others because they don't feel the photo is good enough.
Agreed on how hard it is trying to think of a subject though and to be honest i can't remember what subjects have been used before and as Teekay said in the monochrome one which photos have been used before [especially if they were used or the subject was used before i/we started participating].
I just wanted to see what people thought but i am more than happy to carry on as is ,just be nice to see the numbers come up a bit and try and work out why they don't.:-)
Keep taking the photos and most of all enjoy it :)

sponsored links

3,254 views & 16 likes for this thread
SPEED CHALLENGE -winner/hosting unpopular
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.