Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 18 Oct 2016 (Tuesday) 05:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

at the cafe

olafs ­ osh
I am a nice and fluffy dude
1,932 posts
Gallery: 145 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Apr 2012

Oct 18, 2016 05:48 |  #1

ok. some proper post for a change :]

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

- Olafs Osh
fb (external link) | instagram (external link) | YT (external link)|OLAFSOSH.COM (external link)|
Give us "Street Photography" sub-forum in P.O.T.N. !

sponsored links
dodgyexposure
Goldmember
2,874 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Oct 18, 2016 20:37 |  #2

I like it. Nice composition. You wonder who she is looking at/talking to . . .

And you've handled the awful lighting pretty well.

Cheers, Damien

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,415 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Oct 18, 2016 21:06 |  #3

I'd prefer a closer crop... the stuff on the left is distracting.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 16 1.4 - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

RAPhotography
465 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 18, 2016 21:20 |  #4

I like this photo a lot. Very pretty. Very candid. However, I wonder how it would look with less saturation.

Ryan

olafs ­ osh
THREAD ­ STARTER
1,932 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Oct 19, 2016 01:18 |  #5

Not by much. I bumped SAT +7 in LR and then brought down yellows in PS for aboooout 10. There's red light behind her chair and the lamp is seriously yellow :D

On crop: sir! Are you suggesting to crop out the lamp and vase!?!?!? Blasphemy! :D

- Olafs Osh
fb (external link) | instagram (external link) | YT (external link)|OLAFSOSH.COM (external link)|

Qbx
Goldmember
3,958 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 20, 2016 05:25 |  #6

Nice composition. It's also nice that you throw some color at us from time to time. It doesn't look like a candid to me. Was she posing for you or looking at a 10 foot tall fellow?

-- Image Editing OK --

olafs ­ osh
THREAD ­ STARTER
1,932 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Oct 20, 2016 13:19 |  #7

Posing. I'll post a whole set soon as well. B/W mostly, though ;]

- Olafs Osh

paintedlotus
377 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Oct 20, 2016 14:14 |  #8

I like it a lot, the crop and the colors work fine for me. I'd also love to see it as a contrasty black & white. :) Well done!

Website (external link)

beauty, fashion, model tests, portraits

grams230
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Oct 2016

Oct 20, 2016 15:32 |  #9

Not my style of photography, but well done. It would be edgier in B&W. Crop from left? I wouldn't. However, you could have moved the furniture in front of the model and to her left. Nice perspective - the leg and arm in the front are not disproportionally large - no distortion.

olafs ­ osh
THREAD ­ STARTER
1,932 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Oct 20, 2016 16:58 |  #10

Thanks! But I must say, that those chairs there are on purpose, but I guess it might work without them as well.

- Olafs Osh

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
14,520 posts
Gallery: 154 photos
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 3 years ago by Tom Reichner. (3 edits in all)

Oct 20, 2016 23:27 |  #11

osh_sekta wrote in post #18162350 (external link)
Thanks! But I must say, that those chairs there are on purpose . . . . .

Yeah, no kidding. Of course they're there on purpose! And their arrangement is absolutely genius! Seriously, the way each chair is placed is absolutely perfect in its use to create the overall aesthetic. From the fact that the chair in the lower right corner of the frame is so close so as to be thrown out of focus, to the way the light is falling on the chair in the lower left corner, to the way the chair's arm is overlapping the bottom of the vase . . . . everything looks to be aligned in such a very perfect fashion - I am amazed!

This reminds me so very much of the compositions that Eggleston would create, with each and every thing in the frame being so carefully thought through and arranged so meticulously.

I especially appreciate the way that the flowers in the vase are leaning outward, toward the edge of the frame, and how that mirrors the way that the model is also leaning out towards the opposing edge of the frame. What a unique way to use symmetry and balance in your composition!

The one thing - and it is quite an outstanding thing - that I feel detracts from the image is the intensity of the red color on the right edge of the frame. It is so incohesive with everything else in the frame, and is such an intense concentration of such vivid colour that it cannot help but to steal the viewer's attention away from the wonderfully posed subject and the immaculately positioned props that support her. If it were possible to tone that red color way, way down, so that it didn't stand out nearly so much, then I think you have an image here that is something very, very special.

osh_sekta wrote in post #18159981 (external link)
ok. some proper post for a change :]

You, sir, are an absolute genius. I find it hard to believe that this image is from the same person who authored that mumbling, bumbling post last week.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

PixelPusher
Goldmember
1,929 posts
Gallery: 85 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 21, 2016 09:55 |  #12

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18162589 (external link)

You, sir, are an absolute genius. I find it hard to believe that this image is from the same person who authored that mumbling, bumbling post last week.

Olaf would probably fit in with Andy Warhol and the factory crew, you either get it/like it or you don't!
Not everyones cup of tea, but definitely art.

Robert

SmugMug (external link)

olafs ­ osh
THREAD ­ STARTER
1,932 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Oct 21, 2016 10:31 |  #13

Guys, my ego bloated so much, that pushed out of the sofa my cat, who was sitting right next to me. Thank you!

P.S. Tom... that's were's the fun is! :D Well, making this image was also fun, but that previous fun was a different fun. I abso-bloody-lutely promise, that you will see such posts in the future /although I do understand, than some folks will not like them/. Not often though. Not often at all, otherwise I'll see a divorce papers to sign, hahah.

- Olafs Osh

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
14,520 posts
Gallery: 154 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 21, 2016 10:46 as a reply to  @ olafs osh's post |  #14

That other post, I liked it - I really did! I just didn't understand it. At all. And I wanted to. I so very much wanted to understand it! But the images there were really cool looking.

Osh, I hope that you continue to produce both types of posts!

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Nathan
So boring
7,735 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 21, 2016 12:22 |  #15

I, too, like this photo very much. I do have a nit. Her shoe is too shiny.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

sponsored links

4,734 views & 14 likes for this thread
at the cafe
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.