Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
Thread started 04 Sep 2016 (Sunday) 14:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Whats the downsides to crop sensor vs full frame?

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,023 posts
Gallery: 145 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007
Post edited over 2 years ago by airfrogusmc. (3 edits in all)

Sep 13, 2016 13:40 |  #46

I was waiting for the elitist comments that always follow when someone brings up Leica. LoL. Yeah I'm elitist LoL Almost spit my coffee all overt the keyboard.

I'm happy for your buddy. I shot with Deardorff, Horseman, owned and shot with 500C/Ms for decades. For what i do now Leicas sure fit the bill. BTW one of the magazines that I shoot received a major national award last year. I posted about it here a while back.

Finding equipment that matches the way you see and work is what this should be all about. If I had all the $$$$ I spent over the decades settling I could have bought the stuff that I instead settled for many times over.

sponsored links
EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,507 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Sep 13, 2016 14:24 |  #47

airfrogusmc wrote in post #18126786 (external link)
And I've never understood the car buying mentality of the more options the better. I prefer cameras that I am the one doing the driving. All of it and making all the decisions. Just my preference. And there are a lot more like me. There are plenty of one size fits all options out there. Nice to have some real choices like a Leica MM.

Not sure what cars have to do with this conversation... I drive a stick shift by the way, so I know all about "doing the driving" ;)

And that was my point anyway, Fuji's (and any other brand pretty much) still have all the same manual options that a Leica has, nobody is forcing you to use any of the program modes (which I understand most Leicas also have) or extra features. Paying more than double for a camera to take away features doesn't make sense to me, but again, if it does to you great! Just don't be surprised if you can't sell everyone else on the concept.

airfrogusmc wrote in post #18126792 (external link)
I was waiting for the elitist comments that always follow when someone brings up Leica. LoL. Yeah I'm elitist LoL Almost spit my coffee all overt the keyboard.

I'm happy for your buddy. I shot with Deardorff, Horseman, owned and shot with 500C/Ms for decades. For what i do now Leicas sure fit the bill. BTW one of the magazines that I shoot received a major national award last year. I posted about it here a while back.

Finding equipment that matches the way you see and work is what this should be all about. If I had all the $$$$ I spent over the decades settling I could have bought the stuff that I instead settled for many times over.

The elitist comments have nothing to do with the fact that you shoot Leica, it has everything to do with how you always present your arguments in favor of Leica. You talk of every other brand like it's so far below your mightly Leica, it's laughable. Sometimes the amount of pretentiousness that flows from your comments is staggering.

For what it's worth, I like the idea of Leica, but I still don't think they're anywhere near worth their asking price. Obviously some people do and that's great, niche products are certainly welcome.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

airfrogusmc
36,023 posts
Joined May 2007
Post edited over 2 years ago by airfrogusmc.

Sep 13, 2016 14:38 |  #48

Some people equate a lot of options as getting a lot for what you pay for.

I never put any other brands down. I never said anyone else was wrong for their choice's. I said Leica was what I prefer and a stated why I prefer it. And as far as price goes my M 262 is almost 2K cheaper than top o the line nicanons. I'm old enough to remember when Leica Ms were over twice as much as the top o the line nicanons. So I prefer Leica over Fuji so I am an elitist. Ok then I'm an elitist. So you prefer Fuji does that make you an elitist?

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,195 posts
Gallery: 88 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 13, 2016 14:53 |  #49

airfrogusmc wrote in post #18126792 (external link)

I think the adjective fits the bill......Leica has no weight in this matter really. It's how you boldly go about a single camera format is portrayed as superior and looking down upon other formats.

Riding the coat tails of a magazine's reputation/award is totally different vs being the photographer getting an award directly for his/her work...If you were awarded DIRECTLY please disregard my statement.......

I think your journey in your gear acquisition is what helped you develop your style. I wouldn't discredit your previous gear as a waste.

Today's conversation is more about image quality and physical size of the camera.

Simply put.... current "crop" sensors from Fuji and Sony/Nikon are remarkable compared to a decade ago.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | TT685
Sony 2 x A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Sigma ART 105 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS & V1S

airfrogusmc
36,023 posts
Joined May 2007
Post edited over 2 years ago by airfrogusmc. (2 edits in all)

Sep 13, 2016 15:03 |  #50

Disregarded. I don't ride anyones coat tails and I never said all of my previous gear was a waist. There was some waist in there though for just settling. I said crop is a deal breaker for me and I stated why. I think there are real reasons someone would prefer FF over crop. I do.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,665 posts
Gallery: 160 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Sep 13, 2016 15:09 |  #51

This thread has devolved from a simple question about sensor size to a bickering match over brand loyalties and name calling.

If this persists, the thread will be locked and or posts deleted, and action will be taken towards those that took the thread so far off track.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Deardorff
110 posts
Joined Oct 2016

Oct 22, 2016 10:33 |  #52

What size prints do you usually make? What is the largest size you make in a year?
Have seen 5 foot prints from Fuji X-Pro1 and beautiful 16x20 prints from a Panasonic LX5.
Have seen 35 foot prints from Kodachrome slides taken with a cheapie Pentax camera in the days when Kodak had them on the billboard in NYC.

You are worrying about something that really doesn't matter. Canon and most of the others make 'crop body' cameras that do the job well.

"I've been a procrastinator all my life. I keep meaning to do something about that."

By-tor
Goldmember
3,021 posts
Gallery: 668 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 03, 2016 09:53 |  #53

Moving from Canon 5D and 7D to micro 4/3 Olympus E-M10 3 years ago I found myself moving back to Canon FF with another 5D recently. I did love the smaller equipment size of the micro 4/3 system and the best thing is that Olympus put the stabilizer in the body of it's cameras and not the lenses. So any lens you used be it Oly or Panny you had IS.

If I do want to go small now days my wife uses a Oly E-PL5 that takes very nice pictures and I feel took better shots than my E-M10.

Olympus E-M10 II & 14-150mm, E-PL5 & 14-42mm EZ
Fujifilm X100, X100F, X-T30, 18-55mm, 27mm
All the world's indeed a stage and we are merely players performers and portrayers.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,344 posts
Gallery: 143 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 03, 2016 14:03 |  #54

By-tor wrote in post #18174642 (external link)
Moving from Canon 5D and 7D to micro 4/3 Olympus E-M10 3 years ago I found myself moving back to Canon FF with another 5D recently.

When I read this, I thought that you were going to explain why you moved back to a full frame DSLR. But the only things you said after that were nice things about the system that you abandoned!

I would be interested in knowing the reasons for your move away from the Olympus 4/3 system, back to a Canon 5D. And I think that this information would be most pertinent here, given the title of this thread.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

By-tor
Goldmember
3,021 posts
Gallery: 668 photos
Joined Jan 2009
Post edited over 2 years ago by By-tor. (2 edits in all)

Nov 03, 2016 14:24 |  #55

Yeah...

I had it typed in and cut it to move that part and forgot to paste it back in.

I like the FF photos better than the 4/3 sensor, just felt something was missing.

Olympus E-M10 II & 14-150mm, E-PL5 & 14-42mm EZ
Fujifilm X100, X100F, X-T30, 18-55mm, 27mm
All the world's indeed a stage and we are merely players performers and portrayers.

foto16
61 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Nov 2016

Nov 30, 2016 16:20 |  #56

I can see three small downsides. None is crucial TO ME.

- Less DOF control (use fast glass; choose background carefully)
- More noises in ISO beyond 6400 (who needs that insane level of high ISO. Use fast glass; use good technique)
- Less megapixel count (who cases? 16-24mp can already print billboard)

But there are many advantages of crop sensor. They most important one being savings in size, weight, and cost. Let's be honest: if cost, size and weight were not a concern, we would all be carrying large format cameras. The difference between crop and 35mm full frame is negligible compared to the difference between 35mm full frame and large format.

chrismid259
156 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 11, 2017 16:28 |  #57

Whilst I really like the Fuji XT1 + 16-55mm lens, I can't bring myself to part with my Canon 6D and lenses. I recently sold my 7D because I felt that I no longer required it as part of my kit. However, there are some paid jobs that I feel still require a FF DSLR.

One thing is a real pain with Fuji is the focus point selection whereas the 6D is very easy to use in comparison.

Fujifilm X-T3, X-H1
Website (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | Twitter (external link)

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,507 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Mar 11, 2017 16:46 |  #58

chrismid259 wrote in post #18298309 (external link)
Whilst I really like the Fuji XT1 + 16-55mm lens, I can't bring myself to part with my Canon 6D and lenses. I recently sold my 7D because I felt that I no longer required it as part of my kit. However, there are some paid jobs that I feel still require a FF DSLR.

One thing is a real pain with Fuji is the focus point selection whereas the 6D is very easy to use in comparison.

The X-Pro2, X-T2 and X-T20 are all faster for point selection than a 6D. The first two have a joystick (like a 5D) and the latter has a touch screen for point selection.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,518 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 11, 2017 20:06 |  #59

A. There are differences solely attributable to total sensor size:

1. Larger format means less magnification to same final print size
  2. Larger format means less DOF at same aperture, for the same AOV lens at the same camera position

B. There are differences solely attributable to pixel area and pixel spacing

1. If both FF and APS-C uses same pixel area and same pixel size, there is no inherent 'advantage' to one format vs. the other, apart from what has been stated above (total sensor size)
  2. WA on FF has less inherent issue with chromatic abberations (fringing) than same AOV WA on APS-C
  3. For same pixel count sensor, FF has more signal falling on the single pixel, for better signal:noise quality.

The 'advantage' of APS-C is lighter lens weight and shorter FL for same AOV lens...carrying 250mm (APS-C) vs. 400mm (FF). And if you WANT deep DOF, it has more than FF (for same AOV and aperture).

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,195 posts
Gallery: 88 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 12, 2017 11:52 |  #60

I'm thinking that Canon will introduce a full frame 6d2 with dual pixel AF. If that's the case I think many can happily jump for a full frame that will be a great "camcorder" for video application and also produce great Stills image quality.

Lately I've been using my 80D more often for family documentation and even some important events. IQ wise still photography is incredibly like my 5dmk3 images.

My only complaints of Canon crop sensors is that it lacks native f/2.8 UWA zoom.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | TT685
Sony 2 x A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Sigma ART 105 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS & V1S

sponsored links

13,187 views & 24 likes for this thread
Whats the downsides to crop sensor vs full frame?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.