Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
Thread started 27 Mar 2016 (Sunday) 16:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon to Nikon. Thoughts of going out of my comfort zone

enginyr
990 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 10, 2016 16:50 |  #16

Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.

Stephen Hawking

LA Wedding photographer (external link) Stunning Bride Photographers.

sponsored links
Owain ­ Shaw
Some of my best friends are people.
2,262 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 23, 2016 04:00 |  #17

tim wrote in post #17967304 (external link)
I think anyone can adapt, but it does take time. A week's rental isn't enough time to adapt. I ran both systems side by side for a while so my weddings weren't compromised.

I agree, a week isn't long enough to fully adapt - but it would give the OP an opportunity to see just how difficult he found the Nikon layout.

| New website. (external link) |
| Gear | Flickr (external link) |

tim
Light Bringer
50,968 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Apr 23, 2016 04:53 |  #18

Owain Shaw wrote in post #17981746 (external link)
I agree, a week isn't long enough to fully adapt - but it would give the OP an opportunity to see just how difficult he found the Nikon layout.

Yeah. After a week expect to still be slightly confused. I only use about four buttons and a couple of dials, because all I change is shutter speed, aperture, and iso. Maybe I change color temp occasionally. I don't use the menus at all, not even once at a wedding. So

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

DanFrank
THREAD ­ STARTER
380 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited over 3 years ago by DanFrank. (2 edits in all)

Apr 23, 2016 05:59 |  #19

Thanks for the help everyone. I stayed with the 6D and canon glass. Now waiting for August rumors to come into fruition.

3 main reasons in no order

-layout/interface
-video (Canon has the upper hand here)
-lenses (same, but not as much as before)

I started shooting more video. While th D750 is a better camera, the low light high iso video looks real bad. Figured Id wait it out untill summer for the IV. 4k recording is something I want.

*that said, Id lie if I wasnt seriously looking at the G7 to dip into 4k in the mean time. Not so much for photo, but strictly video. Than when 5DIV is out ill have a cheap backup 4k shooter

Gear "A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others"

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,195 posts
Gallery: 88 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 23, 2016 10:33 |  #20

DanFrank wrote in post #17981794 (external link)
Thanks for the help everyone. I stayed with the 6D and canon glass. Now waiting for August rumors to come into fruition.

3 main reasons in no order

-layout/interface
-video (Canon has the upper hand here)
-lenses (same, but not as much as before)

I started shooting more video. While th D750 is a better camera, the low light high iso video looks real bad. Figured Id wait it out untill summer for the IV. 4k recording is something I want.

*that said, Id lie if I wasnt seriously looking at the G7 to dip into 4k in the mean time. Not so much for photo, but strictly video. Than when 5DIV is out ill have a cheap backup 4k shooter

The Panny G7 in the Micro 4/3 world is one of the best bangs for the buck. It has DFD autofocus technology and it's suppose to have better low light performance than the GH4 (so I've read). I'm not quite sure how good DFD is for video. I'd suggest looking at the heavier Canon 80D. It's only 1080 at 60fps but you have a choice of mp4 and mov. The video will probably not be as sharp but at the end of the day dual pixel technology will keep things in focus. An M43 for running and gunning will loose focus as the contrast detection works to assure focus. This in/out shifting to focus sucks even for documenting a kids birthday!!

What you find about reviews is that when they discuss video capabilities it's hard to answer the viewers questions. The 80D/70d will do a better job for mom/dad soccer parents to vloggers on the go. If your a hardcore video guy wanting small video rigs with gimbals the gh4/g7 is a great system if your more into manual focussing and shoot in good light. At the end of the day an average person will like dual pixel technology to document birthdays, wedding speeches at a reception or quick silly kids documentation etc. Non hunting AF is more pleasant for me. I'm torn but I may just keep my gh3 with 12-35mm for my 6 and 9 yrs old daughter and buy an 80D for my "fun" use.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | TT685
Sony 2 x A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Sigma ART 105 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS & V1S

tomstephens89
55 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Sep 2015

Jul 21, 2016 12:21 |  #21

I recently switched from a Canon 5d III to a Nikon D810, sold my 24-105 F4 and 16-35 F4 and now have the 24-70 2.8 & 14-24 2.8.

It took me a couple of days shooting to become comfortable with the controls but now it already feels completely natural.

And then theres the image quality..... Oh man the image quality! I have never seen pictures looking so good. Much more detail (probably thanks to 36mp) and LOADS more dynamic range with the ability to really lift those shadows. The difference to me was noticeable instantly when opening the pictures up in Lightroom.

If you can manage it, id say get the Nikon D810 with some pro gold ring glass.

See my flickr profile here (external link)
Canon 5DSR | Canon 16-35 F4L | Sigma 50mm F1.4 ART

Myboostedgst
Goldmember
1,899 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Jul 21, 2016 19:20 |  #22

I recently switched from a 6D to a Nikon D750. I will preface it by saying that I used Nikon for years before giving the 6D a try for almost a year.

The D750 is such a better camera than the 6D it is silly. Dont get me wrong, the 6d does have it's strengths, but the D750 just wins. AF with anything other than the 6D center A/F point is a joke. The D750 is simply better. I dont shoot in super low light, so absolute minimum focus ability isnt my concern. The 6D body just isnt laid out well. The D750 has the buttons in the right place (besides a dedicated ISO button). The 6d just felt cheap. My personal opinion of course.

Lenses I do enjoy Canon's offerings. But when it really comes down to it, I shoot with a 24-70, 70-200, and 300mm F2.8. Those are pretty much even across platforms as pro level lenses.

I don't shoot video, so no matter to me (although I may get into it soon).

Overall I am 100x times happier to be back with Nikon than with the 6D. Not sure if you meant that you were going to buy a 6D after the august rumors get revealed, or if you already bought a 6D and will buy a second body when those come out.

Andrew | Facebook (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link)
D750, 24-70, 50 1.4G, 85 1.8G, 70-200 VRII, 300 F2.8 AF
Founder of www.midwestautomotive.​net (external link)

Jotto123
113 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 21, 2016 19:45 |  #23

If the 5d Mark 4 isn't significantly better than the Nikon d750 I will absolutely be switching to either Nikon or Sony. The d750 can be had on sale new for 1400 and it currently blows away everything Canon offers even near its class. This is getting ridiculous. Canon needs to get it together.

6d - 135L - 85mm 1.8 - 50mm 1.8 - 35Art

Myboostedgst
Goldmember
1,899 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Jul 21, 2016 20:42 |  #24

Jotto123 wrote in post #18073941 (external link)
If the 5d Mark 4 isn't significantly better than the Nikon d750 I will absolutely be switching to either Nikon or Sony. The d750 can be had on sale new for 1400 and it currently blows away everything Canon offers even near its class. This is getting ridiculous. Canon needs to get it together.

Where is a new D750 $1400? Be careful of grey market stuff. I just paid $2000 three weeks ago

Andrew | Facebook (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link)
D750, 24-70, 50 1.4G, 85 1.8G, 70-200 VRII, 300 F2.8 AF
Founder of www.midwestautomotive.​net (external link)

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 24, 2016 08:42 |  #25

There have been numerous studies that have concluded that the differences in cameras/lenses cannot be discerned in the final print.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,031 posts
Gallery: 145 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Jul 27, 2016 07:27 |  #26

Find something and stick with it. It can take years sometimes for a camera to become second nature so technique is no longer a thought process.

A great quote by Weston and is probably more relevant today than when he said it decades ago.
"The fact is that relatively few photographers ever master their medium. Instead they allow the medium to master them and go on an endless squirrel cage chase from new lens to new paper to new developer to new gadget, never staying with one piece of equipment long enough to learn its full capacities, becoming lost in a maze of technical information that is of little or no use since they don't know what to do with it."- Edward Weston

Canon_Shoe
Goldmember
1,311 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jan 2012

Jul 28, 2016 15:02 |  #27

I switched from Canon (6D) last year to Nikon (D810) and it has far exceeded my expectations. The image quality is on another level and I also love the 14-24 as I'm mainly a landscape shooter. I only had one gripe and that was the ISO button on the D810, but since it's customizable, I made the record button ISO function which I found funny when they released the D5 as Nikon did the same thing! After all is said and done, I actually prefer the Nikon ergonomics now and my images have taken on a new dimension with the dynamic range in every RAW file

Facebook-- http://www.facebook.co​m/AndrewShoemakerPhoto​graphy (external link)
Website----http://andrewshoemaker​photography.com/ (external link)
Nikon D810, Nikon 14-24, Nikon 24-70 F/2.8 VR, Nikon 70-200 VR II

Deardorff
110 posts
Joined Oct 2016

Oct 22, 2016 10:36 |  #28

Nikon has much greater dynamic range than the Canon you have. This shows up well when you need to pull out a bit more shadow detail.

"I've been a procrastinator all my life. I keep meaning to do something about that."

aladyforty
Goldmember
4,116 posts
Gallery: 240 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 22, 2016 10:49 |  #29

never got it with the constant switching of brands. I have friends who have gone Nikon to canon and vice versa. and guess what? their photos have not got any better. Fair enough if you have not invested in lenses but if you have stick with the one you have. I love my 5DIII, have never had an issue with dynamic range and have shot a number of weddings with it in tandem with an older 5DII, never ever had a complaint. But I generally leave the full frame home if Im not going out for only landscapes or people shots. For everything else I pick up my 7DII, yes a crop camera. And to be honest after editing in 95% of cases my friends cant pick what was shot full frame and what was not. I was involved in an exhibition recently and a number of photographers had images in print around the wall and we all use different brands of cameras. Not one person asked what brand of camera was used, we all had sales.

5D3 7D2 Canon G1X Fuji X100 Fuji X10 canon glass & the odd other brands https://500px.com/alad​yforty (external link)
My youtube channel https://www.youtube.co​m …wlc4zg?view_as=​subscriber (external link)

Mathmans
285 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Apr 2014

Oct 22, 2016 13:16 as a reply to  @ aladyforty's post |  #30

Hehe, I'm so amused reading some of those comments.
Nikon shooters describing Nikon cameras as machines with better dynamic range, more details, with ability to push shadows from hell to heaven, better low light porformance,better color depth etc etc etc.
Canon shooters (at least some of them) are saying:
Naaah, you don't need dynamic range. I'm shooting weddings and I never missed dynamic range.
Noooo, don't go to "the dark side". Canon has better grip then Nikon.
Gods forbid, don't switch! You will have to learn new layout. Nikon buttons are at weird place and just wait to see Nikon menu system.
No no no, don't go to Nikon. If you print 1"x1" you won't see the difference between cameras.
Funny thing; whenever someone asking abou switching to Nikon, those orthodox Canon shooters can only say, Canon has better button position and better body to hold
and if you switch you'll have to learn different layout and menu (uuuuuuhhhh, noooooo, you can torture me, but just don't make me learn new things, hehe). Oh yeah; Canon also have this rotating thing at the back - Scott Kelby says he can list through images like "frrrrrrrrrrrrrrr".
So, to draw a line:
according to Nikon shooters Nikon cameras have: better dynamic range, better low light performance, more details, very good focusing system, better color depth
according to Canon shooters Canon cameras have: better grip to hold the camera and better button layout and of course this rotating thing at the back (Scott Kelbys favourite).

Now,... who will throw the first stone?

And a whisper to the moderator: Was I over the edge? Will I be banned?

My photos:
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/149610703@N05/ (external link)

sponsored links

9,349 views & 16 likes for this thread
Canon to Nikon. Thoughts of going out of my comfort zone
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.