Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
Thread started 27 Mar 2016 (Sunday) 16:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon to Nikon. Thoughts of going out of my comfort zone

aladyforty
Goldmember
4,062 posts
Gallery: 203 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 23, 2016 05:38 |  #31

Mathmans wrote in post #18163904 (external link)
Hehe, I'm so amused reading some of those comments.
Nikon shooters describing Nikon cameras as machines with better dynamic range, more details, with ability to push shadows from hell to heaven, better low light porformance,better color depth etc etc etc.
Canon shooters (at least some of them) are saying:
Naaah, you don't need dynamic range. I'm shooting weddings and I never missed dynamic range.
Noooo, don't go to "the dark side". Canon has better grip then Nikon.
Gods forbid, don't switch! You will have to learn new layout. Nikon buttons are at weird place and just wait to see Nikon menu system.
No no no, don't go to Nikon. If you print 1"x1" you won't see the difference between cameras.
Funny thing; whenever someone asking abou switching to Nikon, those orthodox Canon shooters can only say, Canon has better button position and better body to hold
and if you switch you'll have to learn different layout and menu (uuuuuuhhhh, noooooo, you can torture me, but just don't make me learn new things, hehe). Oh yeah; Canon also have this rotating thing at the back - Scott Kelby says he can list through images like "frrrrrrrrrrrrrrr".
So, to draw a line:
according to Nikon shooters Nikon cameras have: better dynamic range, better low light performance, more details, very good focusing system, better color depth
according to Canon shooters Canon cameras have: better grip to hold the camera and better button layout and of course this rotating thing at the back (Scott Kelbys favourite).

Now,... who will throw the first stone?

And a whisper to the moderator: Was I over the edge? Will I be banned?

well basically some of what you say is true, however why would one invest in a lot of glass (regardless of brand) then change seeking some magical difference in their photos when in many cases it is not even distinguishable at all? Sure if you dont have a lot of money invested, make a change, if you are big time into landscapes and need so called dynamic range go Nikon. If you want more glass choice go canon. However unless you are printing HUGE images, are a pro etc you will probably find little to console yourself with in the cost of changing. I have seen this happen with a number of friends and like I said, not one of them is producing work Id class as a lot better regardless of which brand they switch to

5D3 7D2 Canon G1X Fuji X100 Fuji X10 canon glass & the odd other brands https://500px.com/alad​yforty (external link)

sponsored links
Mathmans
268 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Apr 2014
Post edited over 2 years ago by Mathmans.

Oct 23, 2016 07:19 as a reply to  @ aladyforty's post |  #32

aladyforty; I agree with you.
If you have a lot of glass the switch doesn't make sence unless someone doesn't mind losing some money.
I was just trying to say that if someone is willing to spend his money to switch the system
the arguments like "Canon has better grip" and "Nikon has weird menu system" are not really strong arguments.
The statements like "I'm shooting weddings for 20 years and I have never felt a need for more dynamic range" are very
subjective. Maybe he doesn't but maybe someone else does or might need.
The most weird argument I've heard is "If you switch you'll have to LEAR new button layout and menu system". (???)
Life is learning!
I understand some folks have difficulties with learning or learning dissabilities but most of us have no difficulties to learn new things.
This should not be the reason not to get a new thing.
At the moment Nikon has better Sony sensors then Canon. Some Canon shooters say it doesn't matter and it won't show on prints. But
if Canon would have better sensors I can bet the same shooters would rave about it and this would be the main thing to switch to Canon.

My photos:
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/149610703@N05/ (external link)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Oct 23, 2016 07:43 |  #33
bannedPermanent ban

gjl711 wrote in post #17953541 (external link)
Getting use to a different camera is no more difficult than getting use to a new car. All the fundamentals are the same but access may be different.

This is so true. Many make such a big deal out of different cameras being somewhat different to operate...but using one for a week to become comfortable with it. I use 5 cameras ranging from a pure manual film camera to Canon DSLR's and Sony mirrorless...all have different interfaces but I can use all very efficiently without issues.

The car scenario is bang on. I travel a lot, rent cars a lot and they all have different interfaces...yet after being away for a couple weeks using a rental, my car is the one that feels weird for a day or so.

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
35,922 posts
Gallery: 143 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007
Post edited over 2 years ago by airfrogusmc. (2 edits in all)

Oct 23, 2016 08:00 |  #34

A couple of great quotes by a couple of great photographers:

"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE". - Ernst Haas

The fact is that relatively few photographers ever master their medium. Instead they allow the medium to master them and go on an endless squirrel cage chase from new lens to new paper to new developer to new gadget, never staying with one piece of equipment long enough to learn its full capacities, becoming lost in a maze of technical information that is of little or no use since they don't know what to do with it." - Edward Weston

If you keep going for the latest/greatest you are on a endless cycle. There is always going to be something better. You would be FAR better off settling with something and sticking with it and work on the seeing part of it instead of as Weston called it endless squirrel cage chase because all of this stuff is full capable of capturing your vision. The key is, you have to SEE.

And it really does take real time for this equipment to become second nature. So when you are working you are not thinking about technique/equipment but in the image that one has seen if indeed one can see.

aladyforty
Goldmember
4,062 posts
Joined Dec 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by aladyforty.

Oct 23, 2016 10:09 |  #35

airfrogusmc wrote in post #18164414 (external link)
A couple of great quotes by a couple of great photographers:

"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE". - Ernst Haas

The fact is that relatively few photographers ever master their medium. Instead they allow the medium to master them and go on an endless squirrel cage chase from new lens to new paper to new developer to new gadget, never staying with one piece of equipment long enough to learn its full capacities, becoming lost in a maze of technical information that is of little or no use since they don't know what to do with it." - Edward Weston

If you keep going for the latest/greatest you are on a endless cycle. There is always going to be something better. You would be FAR better off settling with something and sticking with it and work on the seeing part of it instead of as Weston called it endless squirrel cage chase because all of this stuff is full capable of capturing your vision. The key is, you have to SEE.

And it really does take real time for this equipment to become second nature. So when you are working you are not thinking about technique/equipment but in the image that one has seen if indeed one can see.

Very true although if money was no issue Id own a 1DXII and a 5D4, perhaps a number of lenses I salivate over but as Im just a normal everyday person, I will now probably work the cameras I have into the ground, Im a little more observant of the use of the full frame only because I really cant afford to replace it. I work the 7DII very hard though and still own a near new 7D that could be used if needed. If you have the cash why not buy the latest and greatest but I still think I have yet to use my cameras to their full potential

5D3 7D2 Canon G1X Fuji X100 Fuji X10 canon glass & the odd other brands https://500px.com/alad​yforty (external link)

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,020 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 23, 2016 10:43 |  #36

For the price of the D810 and D750 these days the high ISO performance is fantastic. In the Canon world at this moment in time a Canon shooter must pay $$$$ for a 5d4 and 1DXmk2 to keep up with Nikon but at a much much higher price!!! That alone is where some photogs must change their style of shooting since they can achieve cleaner images with 2 nikons for a much cheaper price point vs a 5d3 or 6d.

D750 will do circles around a 6d as far as AF performance.

I think now the Canon world has finally caught up to Nikon. It's just a matter of time when people will stop jumping ship to nikon for high iso performance.

Tools are as good as the person behind the viewfinder. There a plenty of Canon rebel shooters putting 1dxmk2, 5d4, D500, D810 to shame with mad skills vs. photogs with larger pockets using much better equipment. Put the same Rebel user with much more capable gear will be able to utilize $$$ better gear.

Choose your tool :) I put much more emphasis on the "tool" behind the viewfinder :)

I think people are using different gear to have different rendition "look" of images. Just think now with post processing you can make almost any camera "look" like BW images from a leica!!! Modern fuji bodies have organic film look while Nikon/Canon still have a very digital look straight out of camera. Choosing manufacturers is like choosing different flavours in "look". Ergonomics and enjoyment are another discussion.......

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 50-140 | TT685
Sony A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS

airfrogusmc
35,922 posts
Joined May 2007
Post edited over 2 years ago by airfrogusmc.

Oct 23, 2016 11:42 |  #37

aladyforty wrote in post #18164497 (external link)
Very true although if money was no issue Id own a 1DXII and a 5D4, perhaps a number of lenses I salivate over but as Im just a normal everyday person, I will now probably work the cameras I have into the ground, Im a little more observant of the use of the full frame only because I really cant afford to replace it. I work the 7DII very hard though and still own a near new 7D that could be used if needed. If you have the cash why not buy the latest and greatest but I still think I have yet to use my cameras to their full potential

I jumped off the gadget go round years ago and my photography allows me to own whatever I need. I personally don't care for all the automation and the one size fits all mentality of the big two. A lot of pros like me don't usually chase the latest and greatest either. It's about finding the right tool to match the photographers vision and the way each prefer to work. I prefer to stay with things that work for me instead of chasing the so called latest/greatest. Leica Ms are tools for me that just get out of the way and let me create.

aladyforty
Goldmember
4,062 posts
Joined Dec 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by aladyforty. (2 edits in all)

Oct 23, 2016 21:15 |  #38

airfrogusmc wrote in post #18164552 (external link)
I jumped off the gadget go round years ago and my photography allows me to own whatever I need. I personally don't care for all the automation and the one size fits all mentality of the big two. A lot of pros like me don't usually chase the latest and greatest either. It's about finding the right tool to match the photographers vision and the way each prefer to work. I prefer to stay with things that work for me instead of chasing the so called latest/greatest. Leica Ms are tools for me that just get out of the way and let me create.

probably a good way to be, if you are constantly chasing the latest upgrade it would do your head in. just the upgrading of software was a pain when I went to 5DIII. I love my Fuji X100 and if i could get the colour rendition out of my canons as good as my fuji Id be happy. The idea of getting a small Fuji set up like an xpro (used) is something I thought about but no way Id sell my DSLRs. While i love my Fuji, to be honest I find its menu system a pain in the butt. I have used Nikon but just dont like their ergonomics, but if I had to use one I would. For me its become a fact that the camera is just a tool to get files onto my computer, its the post processing that matters more. I've never had a camera where I cant post process noise out etc. That said the newer ones do make the job easier. In the end you could just keep spending but while you are tied up in the tech mentality it seems to slow your ability to think more about what you photograph, how you photograph it, how to process to make the most of an image.

airfrogusmc
35,922 posts
Joined May 2007
Post edited over 2 years ago by airfrogusmc. (5 edits in all)

Oct 23, 2016 22:13 |  #39

I find all the complex menus and all the stuff a burden. I have shot all manual for decades. The Leica's I have the menus are simple, the lenses are manual focus and insanely good, and the shutter speed dial is on the top right side of the camera body and the aperture is on the lens. Cameras that don't separate me from the process and don't make any decisions for me are what I prefer. For me and the way I work Leica Ms are PERFECT. In fact for me all the stuff just complicates things. So having all the stuff the big two and many others constantly make and many think that they have to have, makes the process harder for me.

The ISO and MPs are plenty and so I will shoot with these until they die and Leica will no longer repair them, No need to upgrade.

sponsored links

9,113 views & 16 likes for this thread
Canon to Nikon. Thoughts of going out of my comfort zone
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.