Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk 
Thread started 01 Jun 2016 (Wednesday) 14:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

my gear was stolen...

nwyman
Cream of the Crop
5,614 posts
Gallery: 246 photos
Joined Mar 2005

Jun 01, 2016 14:01 |  #1

out of my car during the night while my car was in the garage. Cops tell me this sort of thing is becoming very common iun my rural area.
My question is - having now lost my 40D and 7D (with a EOS 17-40 and a Tamron 150-600) do I want to go to a 6D for full frame, or stick with the cropped sensor and try the 7DII?
Not sure I will replace at all - have serious health issues and haven't gotten out much and when I do, there are very few subjects here this year. But I did enjoy the hobby and this forum

EOS 6D, SX50HS, Tamron 150-600
C&C welcome and invited

sponsored links
Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
17,817 posts
Gallery: 270 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

Jun 01, 2016 14:20 |  #2

nwyman wrote in post #18026072 (external link)
out of my car during the night while my car was in the garage. Cops tell me this sort of thing is becoming very common iun my rural area.
My question is - having now lost my 40D and 7D (with a EOS 17-40 and a Tamron 150-600) do I want to go to a 6D for full frame, or stick with the cropped sensor and try the 7DII?
Not sure I will replace at all - have serious health issues and haven't gotten out much and when I do, there are very few subjects here this year. But I did enjoy the hobby and this forum

Oh no! Nancy, I am so sorry to learn of this.
And I suppose the odds of your gear being recovered are slim at best?
As it was stolen from your car in the garage, so basically at home, will your regular insurance cover the loss?

Also sorry to hear of your health issues. Bad health is such a nuisance. And I'm guessing, the stress of having your gear stolen won't do you any good either.

I can't help with camera advice (as I've never shot with a 6D) but if you can afford new gear and still enjoy shooting and being on the forum, then I think it's worth every penny, whatever you end up buying.

:love:

Levina
Please quote when responding to a post!!!
There is no such thing as ect. It's etc. (with period) from latin et cetera.
Colours are not complimentary but complementary.
My flickr (external link)

nwyman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,614 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jun 01, 2016 14:40 as a reply to  @ Levina de Ruijter's post |  #3

apparently cameras are covered with separate riders, but they will only pay the depreciated value of the items. Which in the case of my equipment is nowhere near the replacement cost, so I had cancelled it years ago.
the police have the serial numbers of it all, and there is some chance the stuff might show up in the local pawn shops, but I am sure the perps didn't treat things with tender loving care. And I had just had everything cleaned and adjusted early in the Spring.
Thanks for your sympathy, Levina - it means a lot
. Still not sure what I will do.

C&C welcome and invited

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,258 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Jun 01, 2016 14:44 |  #4

Sorry to hear, that's terrible! I looked at your posts and since it appears you are a birder, I would suggest that a 7D2 would be far preferable to a 6D. I have both and the 7D2 does birding duties while the 6D is for everything else.

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

nwyman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,614 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jun 01, 2016 20:52 as a reply to  @ Scrumhalf's post |  #5

thanks for the input - but I've gone ahead and ordered the 6D because of it's low noise reputation and also because it's having a promo right now AND there are no birds of note here this year, so I'm thinking I have to branch out a bit.

C&C welcome and invited

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,258 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Jun 01, 2016 23:00 |  #6

Well, you'll love it! It's a great camera.

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
17,817 posts
Gallery: 270 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

Jun 02, 2016 00:01 |  #7

nwyman wrote in post #18026392 (external link)
thanks for the input - but I've gone ahead and ordered the 6D because of it's low noise reputation and also because it's having a promo right now AND there are no birds of note here this year, so I'm thinking I have to branch out a bit.

Nancy, I've branched out a bit over the last three years or so, although birds are still my favourite subject, and I would love to have a 6D, even for birds. I've shot birds with an old 5D classic for 6 months some four years ago and loved that full frame goodness. Will you be getting another one of the 150-600mm zooms? I've read that the 6D and Tamron 150-600 do really well together.

Levina
Please quote when responding to a post!!!
There is no such thing as ect. It's etc. (with period) from latin et cetera.
Colours are not complimentary but complementary.
My flickr (external link)

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,323 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 02, 2016 01:31 |  #8

Really sorry to hear about the gear, Nancy! :( I hope we'll see you posting even with the new camera; always enjoy your shots.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

nwyman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,614 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jun 02, 2016 19:45 as a reply to  @ Levina de Ruijter's post |  #9

yes, Levina - the 6D and the tammy. Arrives tomorrow - can't wait!

C&C welcome and invited

Nighthound
Cream of the Crop
11,675 posts
Gallery: 226 photos
Best ofs: 24
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 06, 2016 09:38 |  #10

So sorry to hear your gear was stolen Nancy. To be ripped off any time is bad but when you're struggling with health issues it's that much worse. Congrats on the new gear, I hope you thoroughly enjoy it. Wishing you healing and much better days ahead.

Steve
Canon Gear: 1D Mark IV | 1D Mark II | 5D | 20D | 500L IS (f/4) | 100-400L
SteveEllwoodPhotograph​y.com (external link)

sirmium
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Jun 06, 2016 20:35 |  #11

man that sucks, best of luck recovering those. Better if they stole the car, at least it has insurance :)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 23, 2016 16:54 |  #12

I know how you feel, I've had a few incidents of stolen stuff -- violated! :(

Health issues are of course another matter, but it can add up together. I'm in a process of recovering from a few issues myself, so I can relate!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Larry ­ Johnson
Goldmember
1,280 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2011

Oct 23, 2016 17:28 |  #13

tonylong wrote in post #18164772 (external link)
I know how you feel, I've had a few incidents of stolen stuff -- violated! :(

Health issues are of course another matter, but it can add up together. I'm in a process of recovering from a few issues myself, so I can relate!

Glad to have you back, Tony. Was wondering why you were just now replying to some of these threads.

flickr (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 23, 2016 18:13 |  #14

Larry Johnson wrote in post #18164791 (external link)
Glad to have you back, Tony. Was wondering why you were just now replying to some of these threads.

Well, hey Larry -- I've been on a long slow road, am bit by bit catching up, though I'm not yet what you'd call "up and at 'em". My daughter has all my photo gear stored at her house in her garage, as I bounce around, but we talk about getting out and about!

Thanks for your thoughts!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Capn ­ Jack
Goldmember
1,860 posts
Gallery: 839 photos
Joined Mar 2010
Post edited over 2 years ago by Capn Jack.

Oct 23, 2016 18:35 |  #15

Sorry to hear about the theft, and your health.

The 6D is a good camera, I use it at work. I think you'll like it.

sponsored links

7,161 views & 7 likes for this thread
my gear was stolen...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.