Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Fuji Digital Cameras 
Thread started 06 Jul 2016 (Wednesday) 15:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon L lens Metabones style adapter for Fuji XT-1

Figtreephoto
70 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2009
Post edited over 3 years ago by Figtreephoto.

Jul 06, 2016 15:45 |  #1

Does anyone know if there is a metabones style adapter for Fuji XT-1 that allows exposure values to be transferred to the camera. I am looking for something similiar to the results that the Sony Metabones or Sigma adapters gives

Joel

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Jul 06, 2016 22:40 |  #2

If you don't care about AF then the adapters with no electronic connections may work for you. I have the Nikon G to Fuji-X Metabones adapter for my X-E2s.

What it doesn't do:

• No electronic connection, so it doesn't transmit aperture information to the camera
  • Lens vibration reduction doesn't work (again, no electronic connection). You need to use a tripod for long lenses
  • No AF

What it does do:
  • Lens and body tightly seat to the adapter (no wobble)
  • Camera light meter works, so shutter speed can still be automatic (essentially aperture priority without really knowing what the aperture is since it's just a scale from "F" to 7 :-) )
  • Focusing takes practice, but I can get great results
  • Comes with a handy tripod foot so you can avoid hanging a heavy lens off of the Fuji's lens mount (which looks pretty weak to me)

When focusing carefully and using a tripod I can't see any degradation in sharpness over using the same lens on my Nikon D700. I bought my adapter just to use my longer FF lenses with a tripod (to get the crop field of view advantage) so this seems to be meeting my expectations. I don't want to use lenses like my 24-70 f/2.8 on the X-E2s as it defeats the point of buying into a lightweight system. For those lenses I'd rather stick to my D700, which is a much better camera than the X-E2s anyway.

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

Lumens
447 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Jul 07, 2016 07:58 as a reply to  @ Bob_A's post |  #3

NOTE: for "What it doesn't do:"

Most Canon EF/EF-S lenses do not have an aperture ring so you cannot set aperture as far as I have been able to tell (Please correct me if I'm wrong and provide instructions if it is possible.). You are limited to the native aperture of the lens. The old Canon FD lenses do have an aperture ring so they perform better than the newer Canon Lenses.

I'm not sure if this is true for Nikon as I have not used Nikon.

FUJI XT-2 & FUJI XT-3 ->
12mm Roki, 16 f1.4, 35 f1.4, 56 f1.2, 80 Macro
10-24, 18-55, 55-200, 100-400

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005
Post edited over 3 years ago by Bob_A.

Jul 07, 2016 08:28 |  #4

Lumens wrote in post #18060250 (external link)
NOTE: for "What it doesn't do:"

Most Canon EF/EF-S lenses do not have an aperture ring so you cannot set aperture as far as I have been able to tell (Please correct me if I'm wrong and provide instructions if it is possible.). You are limited to the native aperture of the lens. The old Canon FD lenses do have an aperture ring so they perform better than the newer Canon Lenses.

I'm not sure if this is true for Nikon as I have not used Nikon.

None of my lenses have an aperture ring which is why I bought the Nikon G to Fuji_X mount Metabones adapter. The Metabones adapter comes with an aperture ring with a scale F, 1, 2, 3 .... 7. There's no click stops so it just smoothly changes the aperture of the lens from wide open to the most stopped down state. Since there's no electronics the actual f-stop is not transmitted to the camera.

With the Nikon G adapter I can also use older Nikon F lenses that do have an aperture ring with the adapter left at "F".

G-mount adapter (with ring) - $139: http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …1_nikon_g_mount​_lens.html (external link)
F-mount adapter (without ring) - $99: http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …on_f_to_x_mount​_fuji.html (external link)

I have no idea if there is one available for Canon though, or if it's even possible to do with a Canon lens (without an electronic connection).

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

Deardorff
110 posts
Joined Oct 2016

Oct 25, 2016 09:24 |  #5

On the Canon lenses, is this for the FD or the EF lenses?

"I've been a procrastinator all my life. I keep meaning to do something about that."

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2,608 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon L lens Metabones style adapter for Fuji XT-1
FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Fuji Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.