Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 Oct 2016 (Wednesday) 17:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D or 1D mkII

By-tor
Goldmember
3,022 posts
Gallery: 668 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 12, 2016 17:59 |  #1

I'm building my gear back after selling everything 3 years ago and going micro 4/3. I have a 5D that works great, but looking for something with a better AF system for sports and fast grand kids...

I owned a 7D before and really enjoyed it, but would also like to give a 1D mkII or 1Ds mkii a try.

Wanting to stay in the $500 +or- range...

Thoughts please...

Thank you

Olympus E-M10 II & 14-150mm, E-PL5 & 14-42mm EZ
Fujifilm X100, X100F, X-T30, 18-55mm, 27mm
All the world's indeed a stage and we are merely players performers and portrayers.

sponsored links
runninmann
what the heck do I know?
8,156 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Oct 12, 2016 18:43 |  #2

More on the plus side of your price range but...https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1467814

My Gear

By-tor
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,022 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 12, 2016 18:49 |  #3

runninmann wrote in post #18155371 (external link)
More on the plus side of your price range but...https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1467814

Very nice TY

All the world's indeed a stage and we are merely players performers and portrayers.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,897 posts
Gallery: 103 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 2 years ago by TeamSpeed. (3 edits in all)

Oct 13, 2016 12:42 |  #4

Just keep in mind that if you are reach limited with the lenses you own, going to a 1d3, then having to crop out and resize the remaining 1.3 factor to get to the 7D resolution will yield a lower quality final result than the same original image from the 7D, noticeably so in fact. It is to be expected, you cannot resize a 6Mpx image up to 18Mpx and then be surprised by the huge IQ penalty.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock
For Sale: Ladies Thirty-One Camera Sling

By-tor
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,022 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 13, 2016 12:45 |  #5

Very good point that I never thought about..

Looks like it will be a 7D.

Thank you very much..

Deardorff
110 posts
Joined Oct 2016

Oct 25, 2016 09:37 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #6

I would go with the 1D MkIIn. Bigger rear screen, damned good AF and image quality that is excellent. A number of friends who shoot news work still use them often even though they have newer bodies. The AF it definitely better than the 7D.
If you look around you can get a 1D MkIII for under $500. The AutoFocus scare has held the prices down a lot. I have owned a number of them and have never had AF problems. Beautiful images all the way around.
The 1DsMkIII is also a great body and a big step up from the 7D no matter its age.

The 1 series bodies are a lot nicer in use than any of the smaller offerings. Solid, much better battery life and no need to get an added 'motor' screw on piece.

"I've been a procrastinator all my life. I keep meaning to do something about that."

By-tor
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,022 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 25, 2016 09:43 |  #7

Thanks for posting...

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Oct 25, 2016 10:24 |  #8

I've owned the 7D and 1DII, but not at the same time, and have neither now. If I had to choose between the 2, I'd go with the 7D for pixel density. Plus the 1DII had a really odd menu system, IIRC.

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
17,976 posts
Gallery: 285 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008
Post edited over 2 years ago by Levina de Ruijter.

Oct 25, 2016 10:53 |  #9

If you need to crop a lot, I agree a 7D would be the better choice as you will have more pixels on the subject. I did love my 1DIIN though. I still consider it one of the best cameras I ever had. Great AF system, lovely IQ. Shot birds with it for 2,5 years. The outdated two-button menu system shouldn't be a problem. It's something you get used to very quickly. I did anyway. And I cropped plenty by the way. Having said that, it is of course not one of the modern cameras which do so well in low light. I didn't like taking my 1DIIN over ISO800 unless light was really good and I could expose to the right of the histogram. Never having shot with a 7D I'm not sure how that camera handles higher iso speeds and noise (TeamSpeed is the expert on that!).

The 1DIII is clearly a newer generation 1D body, but I went through a number of 1D3's before I had one with a rock-solid AF system, even though the ones that were flawed were of a later batch than the first batch with the AF problems. So if you do decide to go for a 1D3 buy from someone you can trust or make sure you can return it!

Levina
Please quote when responding to a post!!!
There is no such thing as ect. It's etc. (with period) from latin et cetera.
Colours are not complimentary but complementary.
My flickr (external link)

The ­ Loft ­ Studios
Goldmember
1,065 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 27, 2016 04:45 |  #10

I have a Canon 1DS Mark II that I'm looking to sale for $600 that includes PayPal and Shipping.
Includes original box and everything that came with it plus 3 extra batteries (4 in total).
Has about 35,000 original clicks on it.

MARK

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,897 posts
Gallery: 103 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 2 years ago by TeamSpeed.

Dec 08, 2016 10:33 |  #11

Please don't try to sell your equipment as replies in the general disc threads. Putting a link in your signature will probably garner more attention though. :)

EDIT: cutwater deleted his sale reply. :D

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock
For Sale: Ladies Thirty-One Camera Sling

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,665 posts
Gallery: 160 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Dec 08, 2016 10:48 |  #12

It looks like you made your decision, but I would put a vote in for the 1D3 as well.

1DII has a number of drawbacks that were eliminated with the 3, not the least of which is the archaic NiMh battery.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,161 posts
Gallery: 1633 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013
Post edited over 2 years ago by MalVeauX. (2 edits in all)

Dec 08, 2016 10:53 |  #13

Heya,

I've done 1DII & 7D at the same time. I sold the 1DII. The 7D is just better in every way. It even has great weather sealing if you care about it. Better batteries by far too. I think the 1D3 at the same cost of the 7D is more of a competitor, but even then, the 7D just offers more. The 1D3 is if you want to shoot with muddy hands or in the sprinklers without covers at all--but weather resistance is totally a moot point unless your lens is totally weather resistant too, so this is a big argument to just not worry about it since this is obviously about budget and there's no weather sealed budget Canon lenses. Heck not even all the L's are weather sealed (crazy...). So 7D just makes the most sense.

1Ds II would be the full frame 1D that is affordable and still relevant. But, at 4 FPS, this is not for "action" as much as the other cameras you're looking at. This is if you want a 1D level autofocus system on a full frame sensor on a budget. Just remember, old batteries, small screen, super antiquated menu system and only 4 FPS, on a 1D body, at about $600. I almost went with this, but the batteries and 4 FPS killed it for me (already owning 1D2 and 1Dc).

For cost, 1Ds III is out of the question in my opinion.

Edit: dangit, October thread...

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

sponsored links

2,869 views & 0 likes for this thread
7D or 1D mkII
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.