Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 27 Oct 2016 (Thursday) 15:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

need help with stitching or something

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,023 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Oct 27, 2016 20:55 |  #16

DagoImaging wrote in post #18168959 (external link)
W/ the perspective being off between the two shots, it's going to be a lot of work. I just gave it a try and I quit because it'll take more work than it's worth IMO and still never be correct. Sorry.

yeah i gave it a try to...just too difficult...if this isn't the last time they get together on the field i wouldn't worry about it, and just re-shoot it

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Ltdave
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,999 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Oct 28, 2016 11:29 |  #17

No way I can multi quote a response so ill try my best to answer everything from memory so to speak...

a) I've never stitched any images so I fell back to what I know or once knew: move horizontally (trucking in video/motion picture parlance) to shoot from the same plane (so a pair of negatives could be placed in a carrier side by side). I didn't know panning was the required method. Sorry...

b) I WOULD have moved back and shot from the 50yd line but I was standing on a folding chair, on the back edge of the roof of the press box in order to avoid the fence "railing" across the front edge of said press box. I did shoot from the 50yd line but I ended up cutting off 3-4 kids on both ends...

I don't expect them to meet up again now that the football season is over and marching band is effectively done for the season other than holiday parades...

Thanks for everyone's thoughts and input. Better luck next time I guess...

PhotosGuy
75,790 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Oct 28, 2016 11:50 |  #18

Ltdave wrote in post #18168827 (external link)
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Ltdave in
./showthread.php?p=181​68827&i=i84961187
forum: RAW, Post Processing & Printing

It looks to me as if the first image only cuts off a couple of kids at the right & has a TON of room at the left side. Didn't you see that extra room in your viewfinder? If not, then you need to pattern what you see & is included & what is not seen but included.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,763 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 28, 2016 12:11 |  #19

Ltdave wrote in post #18169526 (external link)

b) I WOULD have moved back and shot from the 50yd line but I was standing on a folding chair, on the back edge of the roof of the press box in order to avoid the fence "railing" across the front edge of said press box. I did shoot from the 50yd line but I ended up cutting off 3-4 kids on both ends...

Using the panning technique I described would have obviated the need to step even further back - that is the point. The panoramic image is captured in multiple shots from a single point of view (more or less - there are exceptions) so that you can construct the final single-image composite. You could have stood closer and gotten all of the coverage you needed with a few shots.

Standing further back would give you less distortion in the final composite, as you project your composite into a spatial model (rectilinear versus cylindrical versus spherical, for example), but from the distance you were shooting, you would have been okay with a couple of shots centered on the 50.

Live and learn, as we all have too. Sounds like it was a frustrating shoot, which is always a bummer.

kirk

Kirk
---

Ltdave
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,999 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Oct 28, 2016 12:38 |  #20

PhotosGuy wrote in post #18169535 (external link)
It looks to me as if the first image only cuts off a couple of kids at the right & has a TON of room at the left side. Didn't you see that extra room in your viewfinder? If not, then you need to pattern what you see & is included & what is not seen but included.

And if you look at the second image, that information is reversed. Tons of room on the right side and only a couple of kids cut off...

I DID see that extra room. I wanted to make sure I had enough "extra room" so the possible finished product didnt have kids on the extreme edge of the image...

Using the 24mm (all I had with me since i don't generally carry my wife's gear too and since I was blind sided with this request) " only cut off a couple of kids" on BOTH SIDES with NO "tons of room"...

I wanted a lot of overlap so that there would be lots of image to work with...

DagoImaging
Goldmember
1,918 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Oct 28, 2016 13:03 |  #21

As others mentioned, both shots needed to be taken from the same spot. Instead you moved from one 45yd line to the other which makes this very difficult to put together.

If it was just a green grass field it would be easier but w/ the lines and numbers I think it will be next to impossible to line up, correct rotation, etc to make it look good.

Sony a6300/ 16-70/4 / 70-200/4 G / Sony HVL-60M
https://designcostello​.com/ (external link)

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,023 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Oct 28, 2016 13:25 |  #22

could you post the one from the 50yd line...it may not help to line them all up...but it may be worth a shot

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

Ltdave
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,999 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Oct 28, 2016 15:53 |  #23

DreDaze wrote in post #18169645 (external link)
could you post the one from the 50yd line...it may not help to line them all up...but it may be worth a shot

attached...

actually looking at this again (for the 37th time) it looks like im ONLY LOSING the male display flag guy on the far left! you can JUST SEE his foot and leg...

i need to move him to the center a little bit then figure out a way to add more image "space" on the edges so when its printed (director likes BIG poster size prints) they will fit inside any framing he does...

kirkt wrote in post #18169567 (external link)
Using the panning technique I described would have obviated the need to step even further back - that is the point. The panoramic image is captured in multiple shots from a single point of view (more or less - there are exceptions) so that you can construct the final single-image composite. You could have stood closer and gotten all of the coverage you needed with a few shots.

Standing further back would give you less distortion in the final composite, as you project your composite into a spatial model (rectilinear versus cylindrical versus spherical, for example), but from the distance you were shooting, you would have been okay with a couple of shots centered on the 50.

Live and learn, as we all have too. Sounds like it was a frustrating shoot, which is always a bummer.

kirk

yep. i know now, i should have panned vs trucked...

i was on the roof of the press box, on the phone with a booster on the field, trying to get the director to make some slight adjustments. it was about 50o and the wind was blowing so the display flags had to ditch coats and sweatshirts and i jumped on the shoot. i had told him before they got on the field that they needed to stay inside the 30yd lines but it was HIS way or his way, so i shot it how HE wanted it...

like i said, if i had known ahead of time, a) they wanted a formation on the field and b) they picked THAT formation (size) i would have brought my wifes Rebel and her 10-22 ultra-wide. i have no reason to carry that extra crap around with me!

thanks again everyone!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

DagoImaging
Goldmember
1,918 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Oct 28, 2016 16:39 |  #24

I understand your constraints and you're to nice to tell him to pound salt. I would have done just that...either he helps make it work or he gets nothing. I've been in this exact situation w/ the school my wife works for and have walked away from "helping out" since I wasn't able to do what the irrational person wanted done. He should have asked you earlier and that is on him.

Sony a6300/ 16-70/4 / 70-200/4 G / Sony HVL-60M
https://designcostello​.com/ (external link)

98kellrs
841 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Oct 28, 2016 18:36 |  #25

I reckon you might be able to salvage something using that 50 yard line image as the basis, no-one really looks closely at hte edges of an image anyway.

It won't be a "stitching" job though, it'll be a blending of layers in PS with some skew and other tweaks.

Not at home atm, but I'm have a play later tonight if I remember

Ryan
Nikon D800
Fujifilm X-T1
RSK Photography Facebook - Automotive Photography page (external link)
Website (external link)

Ltdave
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,999 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Oct 28, 2016 19:41 |  #26

98kellrs wrote in post #18169855 (external link)
... it'll be a blending of layers in PS with some skew and other tweaks...

yup.. all over MY head...

ebiggs
638 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Oct 30, 2016 02:15 as a reply to  @ post 18168827 |  #27

I don't think you want to stitch the photos. All you need is to copy and paste the left or right part on to the other.
I think it should be pretty simple. I shoot high school bands all the time. For some 20+ years now. A director will never change his program for the photographer!

This is what I think of when you say 'stitch' a photo(s).

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

G1x, EOS 1Dx, EOS 1D Mk IV, ef 8-15mm f4L,
ef 16-35mm f2.8L II, ef 24-70mm f2.8L II, ef 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II,
Sigma 150-600mm f5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sport
*** PS 6, ACR 9.3, Lightroom 6.5 ***

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,468 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 30, 2016 03:14 |  #28

ebiggs wrote in post #18170799 (external link)
I don't think you want to stitch the photos. All you need is to copy and paste the left or right part on to the other.

Isn't that what stitching does?

I think it should be pretty simple.

Apart from the fact that the grid lines are running in opposite directions so nothing will line up.

Football is a very simple game. Twenty-two players chase a ball and Germany always win.

Ltdave
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,999 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Oct 31, 2016 07:51 |  #29

DagoImaging wrote in post #18169787 (external link)
I understand your constraints and you're to nice to tell him to pound salt. I would have done just that...either he helps make it work or he gets nothing. I've been in this exact situation w/ the school my wife works for and have walked away from "helping out" since I wasn't able to do what the irrational person wanted done. He should have asked you earlier and that is on him.

I think it should be pretty simple. I shoot high school bands all the time. For some 20+ years now. A director will never change his program for the photographer!

This is what I think of when you say 'stitch' a photo(s).

As an aside, I shot all of the portraits for them this year. I had everyone but FOUR drum majors. I told the director, that since it takes about 30-45 minutes to drag all my gear in (to the room at the stadium where i was doing the portraits), set it up and verify it all, I would shoot them early on (before ANY OTHER band stuff) at the last game of the season...

I wasn't able to get into the room soon enough soni told the drum majors, right after pre-game. They all acknowledged that. I told the director of my decision and he wanted me to just bring all my stuff to the school next month and try to set something up before their marching band concert in the gym!

I told him "Nope. I've got everything here, it's set up and ready to go, so they will be down (to the room) after they get the band back into the stands."

I wasn't going to go through all that nonsense again...

Like you DagoImaging, I'm done trying to help. I've got one shot he wants printed, I'm waiting for dimensions on, and they can fend for themselves or get the OTHER GUY who wants to be their shooter, to handle it...

kjonnnn
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by kjonnnn. (2 edits in all)

Oct 31, 2016 12:41 |  #30

Just for your future reference, remember the suggestions made here. Stay in one position and just pivot. I only overlap maybe one third. But more importantly I sure something of significance is in each two photos that are going to be right next to each other. You don't need to worry about staying level, coverage is what is important. The software will figure out all the points to merge regardless of your camera orientation. You can use any lens.

I use Microsoft ICE. Its really good. Photomerge in PS totally rejected your photos. ICE made a great attempt to merge, but just completely deleted the 40 yard line and the people in dark uniforms (because of the changed perspective).

Remember those two points

- pivot
- coverage

Below: A 45 shot pano with a 50mm

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8845/28307313904_17916cba07_b.jpg
Jay Pritzker Pavilion (external link) by Kim Johnson (external link), on Flickr

sponsored links

8,548 views & 10 likes for this thread
need help with stitching or something
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.