Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 04 Oct 2016 (Tuesday) 12:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Windows update affecting CR2 display

DaveCurtis
61 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 04, 2016 12:41 |  #1

My Windows 10 has updated to Version 10.0.14393 Build 14393 and this is causing problems with Windows Explorer displaying CR2 files from my 7D MkII. When I open a folder several of the files will not display a thumbnail just a generic image. If I click the folder again a few more images will display thumbnails and repeating this will give me all the CR2 files with thumbnails.

I'm hoping my FastPictureViewer Codec pack should work with the new Windows 10 as it was perfect before the Windows update.

Anyone else experienced this and found a work round.

Dave

Dave
7D mk2; 100-400 MkII, 7D, 300mm f4, 1.4x, 100mm f2.8 macro
Image editing OK
My Photostream (external link)

sponsored links
docholliday_sc001
My hypocrisy goes only so far.
224 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Oct 04, 2016 13:17 |  #2

Mine's working fine...Win10 RS1, no external RAW codecs - 1Dx, 1Dx2, 1Ds3. Win10 has the RAW codec built in.

If the disk is slow, there is a lot of images per folder, or the processor is weak, the thumbs can take a few to load. Also, you may have to clear the thumbnail cache if there are some corrupted tn's in it from a lot of image movement around the disk.

DaveCurtis
THREAD ­ STARTER
61 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 04, 2016 16:06 as a reply to  @ docholliday_sc001's post |  #3

Interesting Doc. How do I find the tn cache so I can clear it?

Dave

Dave
Image editing OK

docholliday_sc001
224 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Oct 04, 2016 22:31 as a reply to  @ DaveCurtis's post |  #4

Open up a Windows Explorer window, go to the View tab at the top, enable the "Hidden Items" checkbox. Then, clear out the contents of the folder "C:\Users\<your login name>\AppData\Local\Microso​ft\Windows\Explorer". There should be a bunch of files starting with iconcache_xxx and thumbcache_xxx.

Don't use the Disk Cleanup for thumbnails...it doesn't completely clear the system.

I have to do it a lot as a developer, I corrupt the cache constantly as I'm moving around test radiographic images...

Also, for Win10, don't load any of the RAW codec packs that you find on the web...they screw with the built-in codec and cause weird side effects.

DaveCurtis
THREAD ­ STARTER
61 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 08, 2016 09:46 as a reply to  @ docholliday_sc001's post |  #5

I found the cache - thanks!

Unfortunately I cannot clear it completely as it says some of them are in use even if I open nothing other than Explorer.

The RAW Codec pack was necessary for Windows 7 and was not removed on the upgrade to Windows 10. Everything seemed to work OK until this latest upgrade to Windows 10. Can I 'unload' the codec pack as the problem is persisting.

Thanks for taking the time to try to help me.

Dave
Image editing OK

docholliday_sc001
224 posts
Joined Jul 2011
Post edited over 2 years ago by docholliday_sc001.

Oct 08, 2016 09:55 as a reply to  @ DaveCurtis's post |  #6

Sometimes, you can restart and unlock that cache db...unless you have images on the desktop that may be holding it open. If so, you can clear it via safe mode or from a command prompt.

You can clear that directory from the command line...open a command prompt, drill down to the folder using CD. Then, open Task Manager (Ctrl-Shift-Esc), go to Details, and End Task on Explorer.exe. The desktop will "disappear" and unlock the used db files. Then, use a DEL command in the folder to delete the in-use db's. Once cleared, back in the Task Manager window, you can go File->Run New Task and enter explorer.exe to restart the shell.

It makes me wonder if that "locked" db is your issue. Either something is hooking it and not letting it go, or it's corrupted and can't update. Either could cause your thumbnails to not load (especially if that's the cache that's holding the icon size you're set for).

As far as the codec pack, it's now built into windows itself and can't be removed. Sometimes, you can do a "SFC /scannow" from a Command Prompt (Admin) (right-click on the start button to get it). If one of the codec decoder dll's has been corrupted, that can replace it with the proper version.

ebiggs
638 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Oct 17, 2016 01:48 |  #7

Uninstall Windows 10 has updated to Version 10.0.14393 Build 14393 and turn automatic updates off.
I did and all is well again. That new version sucks.

G1x, EOS 1Dx, EOS 1D Mk IV, ef 8-15mm f4L,
ef 16-35mm f2.8L II, ef 24-70mm f2.8L II, ef 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II,
Sigma 150-600mm f5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sport
*** PS 6, ACR 9.3, Lightroom 6.5 ***

emalvick
44 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Oct 17, 2016 16:15 |  #8

I had this happen... I had to uninstall the FastPicture Codec, Reboot, Reinstall, Reboot. It was then good to go. I had to do this on a desktop and laptop. I suspect there was a conflict with regards to the Windows Codec and the FastPictureViewer codec.

dave_bass5
Goldmember
4,303 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2005

Oct 29, 2016 10:56 |  #9

emalvick wrote in post #18159493 (external link)
I had this happen... I had to uninstall the FastPicture Codec, Reboot, Reinstall, Reboot. It was then good to go. I had to do this on a desktop and laptop. I suspect there was a conflict with regards to the Windows Codec and the FastPictureViewer codec.

Yep, same here. Did this last night as i started to notice not all my files were displaying correctly.

Dave.
Gallery@http://www.flickr.com/​photos/davebass5/ (external link)
Canon 5DMKIV | Canon EOS-M50 | Canon 24-70 f/2.8L MKII | 70-300L | 135L f/2.0 | EF-S 10-18 | 40 f/2.8 STM | 35mm f/2 IS | Canon S110 | Fuji F31FD | Canon 580EXII, 270EXII | Yongnuo YN-622C Triggers.

eddieb1
843 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Oct 30, 2016 09:26 |  #10

FastPictureViewer Codec pack works fine in build 14393. I was having the same problem until I installed FastPictureViewer Codec pack.

DaveCurtis
THREAD ­ STARTER
61 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited over 2 years ago by DaveCurtis.

Oct 31, 2016 15:33 as a reply to  @ emalvick's post |  #11

Fantastic! All back to normal, thanks for this.

Dave
(A very happy bunny)

Just a note for anyone else who tries this, the uninstall seemed to take forever but I do have a lot of images. Similarly, the reboot was a protracted process, I was left watching a blue background with a spinning circle of stars for a long time. All came good in the end. ߙ°ߑͰߑ

Dave
Image editing OK

sponsored links

2,988 views & 3 likes for this thread
Windows update affecting CR2 display
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.