Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 28 Oct 2016 (Friday) 10:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

70-200 IS in need of repair

Jeff ­ Horton
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 28, 2016 10:13 |  #1

I have a 70-200 IS L lens where the stabilization has failed. It just seems to click and never lock on. This happens even with the switch turned off. It now appears to be affecting the auto focus. Canon wants close to $1000 to repair. Is there any cheaper options out there?

sponsored links
johnf3f
Goldmember
4,001 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 28, 2016 17:13 |  #2

That seems quite expensive. I used to have this lens and, basically, I fell over and bent it! The lens had to be stripped down, a few cheap parts replaced an then the whole thing had to be re-aligned and re built. In other words little on parts lots on labour. Cost was £175. Also a friend had the AF system in his 300 F4 L IS replaced £135. Both prices include postage from Canon at Elstree.

These were done via CPS. Here in the UK CPS is free but only gives you priority - there is no discount on repair costs.

If the AF wasn't affected I would just use it without IS - better in my experience. If the AF is getting dodgy then at that price you may be better off selling it for "Spares and Repairs" and replacing it with another. I am not up on US prices but I suspect you could get another 70-200 F2.8 for $1000 or so.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

ebiggs
638 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Oct 30, 2016 02:29 |  #3

IS is one of the most expensive things to repair in a lens. Even at $1000 bucks you can not buy a new 70-200mm f2.8L IS for that and that is exactly what you will have if Canon works on it.
A good time to consider buying a CPS membership. There is discounts offered on the for pay options. There is not for the free option plan.

G1x, EOS 1Dx, EOS 1D Mk IV, ef 8-15mm f4L,
ef 16-35mm f2.8L II, ef 24-70mm f2.8L II, ef 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II,
Sigma 150-600mm f5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sport
*** PS 6, ACR 9.3, Lightroom 6.5 ***

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,001 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Post edited over 2 years ago by johnf3f.

Oct 30, 2016 16:13 |  #4

I was assuming that it is the 70-200 F2.8 L IS Mk1. These are available from £800 (just under $1000), for a really nice one, here in the UK or £899 from a reputable dealer with guarantee.

Saying that you can't get a new one for $1000 is meaningless as you can't get a new one anymore.

arthurbikemad
93 posts
Joined Sep 2016
Post edited over 2 years ago by arthurbikemad.

Oct 30, 2016 16:19 |  #5

Friend of mine had IS unit replaced on a Mk2 and shipped back via CPS for £200.00 that cost covered any parts that were needed no matter what and shipping back, the price as I say included all checks, clean, packaging etc etc, where they come up with $1000.00 I have no idea.

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,001 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 30, 2016 16:20 as a reply to  @ arthurbikemad's post |  #6

Seems a bit pricey to me too!

Jeff ­ Horton
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 30, 2016 22:05 |  #7

Thanks for your comments.
What ever is wrong with the lens it is affecting the auto focus. When it first started happening it was during hockey season and I thought the cold was affecting it. That proved not to be true and eventually the auto focus would not lock on. The irony is I never use the IS. I shoot my kids playing sports so I'm always wide open on the aperture and do a lot of panning so the IS never seemed to catch up. So if the auto focus still worked I wouldn't be looking to get it fixed.

I had a friend who is a CPS member send it in and the quote came back as follows:
$359 Out of warranty labor charge
($71.80) CPS Gold Labor (20%)
($151.86) CPS Gold Parts (20%)
($23.00) CPS Gold Shipping/handling (100%)
$759.30 Parts
$894.64 Subtotal
$42.52 Sales Tax

My lens has a date code of 2006. I have looked at some used ones and it does look like they are available for around $1200. I'm afraid to buy a used one and have the same thing happen. My lens has never been dropped and it looks like brand new so I'm not sure why it failed.

What would the value of this lens be for parts?

ebiggs
638 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Oct 31, 2016 11:34 as a reply to  @ Jeff Horton's post |  #8

"...you can't get a new one for $1000 is meaningless as you can't get a new one anymore"

This just makes it more reasonable to have it repaired. Although that statement is silly. It doesn't matter if it is still available or not, it is what you end up with.

$937.16 for you repaired, near new, lens or $1200 for a good used one. That is your decision.

Qlayer2
OOOHHH! Pretty Moth!
941 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Oct 31, 2016 11:48 |  #9

Have you tried calling any independent repair shops, like Midwest camera exchange or KEH and getting a quote? They may be cheaper than Canon's estimate.

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,001 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 31, 2016 19:28 |  #10

ebiggs wrote in post #18171984 (external link)
"...you can't get a new one for $1000 is meaningless as you can't get a new one anymore"
Although that statement is silly.

Why is the statement silly? You can't get a new one anymore - simple! Hence my confusion at your meaningless comment leading you to describe a well known fact as "silly". Perhaps you may wish to re read and correct?

Incidentally the £800 ($976 at today's rates) price was for a lens inspected by Canon (Elstree) and they questioned whether it had ever been even mounted on a camera! I know - I saw the lens and the paperwork from Canon.

ebiggs
638 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Nov 03, 2016 09:16 as a reply to  @ johnf3f's post |  #11

John,
It is silly because no matter whether a new copy of the lens is available or not, the repair will result in a virtually 'new' lens. It boils down to whether a person would choose a used lens or a like new lens. My opinion is for the extra few hundred bucks, I would opt for a Canon repaired lens, I knew. Perhaps you would not and that's fine.

The few times (I prefer new) I purchased used lenses or cameras, I sent them to Canon for C&C. Unless I knew the gear before hand, it went to Canon CPS. They have always come back like new.

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,001 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Post edited over 2 years ago by johnf3f. (2 edits in all)

Nov 03, 2016 18:39 |  #12

ebiggs wrote in post #18174605 (external link)
John,
It is silly because no matter whether a new copy of the lens is available or not, the repair will result in a virtually 'new' lens. It boils down to whether a person would choose a used lens or a like new lens. My opinion is for the extra few hundred bucks, I would opt for a Canon repaired lens, I knew. Perhaps you would not and that's fine.

The few times (I prefer new) I purchased used lenses or cameras, I sent them to Canon for C&C. Unless I knew the gear before hand, it went to Canon CPS. They have always come back like new.

Sorry I took your post as it was written - obviously, as you have explained, that was "silly" of me. Naturally I should have known that a new lens meant a used one with some new bits in it - my bad! I should have known that a new AF system and IS unit fixes all the other wear and tear on a lens - in that case $1000 is a bargain. I must tell this to a pro photographer friend of mine who had his 70-200 L IS Mk1 repaired and re-built several times for worn out parts - but not for AF or IS units. His current 70-200 Mk2 is soon to go in for for it's first service - I will let him know how he can get made new again.

New AF and IS components, at best, will give the OP new IS and AF - that is not a new or as good as new lens by any standards.

Apologies to others and the OP for the off topic post, but I feel that the OP was being overcharged and mislead.

sponsored links

2,034 views & 0 likes for this thread
70-200 IS in need of repair
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.