Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 03 Nov 2016 (Thursday) 13:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

blending tan skin with freckles/fair skin difficulty

rocker83
919 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Nov 03, 2016 13:04 |  #1

I am entirely needing to update how I process images. It hasn't changed in 5 years. That's bad. With that said, I have a host of images with a model who has pretty tan arms but freckly alabaster skin elsewhere. Could anyone help me figure out the best way to blend her skin tones? I've tried the channels and the eye dropper but I am still only getting her red arms, yellow. Thanks so much!
-Mike

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,746 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008
Post edited over 2 years ago by kirkt. (5 edits in all)

Nov 03, 2016 13:50 |  #2

I made a quick adjustment - if it satisfies the look you are going for, hopefully this correction technique may be worthwhile.

The skin tones between the warm (freckles, tan) and neutral (chest area) can be brought closer together to deemphasize their contrast and warm the very neutral chest area - if that is okay with what you are going for. This approach can be altered to taste.

I used the color sampler tool to measure the color of the right arm (very tan/freckled) and the chest area (very pale). The attached figure shows you what I measured (in the "original" image). I use the Lab color model because it separates color from luminance, so I can make my adjustments to match color without worrying about how RGB adjustments also change luminance.

I sampled the right arm and then created a curves adjustment layer so I could alter the channel curves to get the chest area (neutral) to match the color (a and b values) of the arm. It will make the whole image super warm, but no big deal, you will paint in the adjustment to the chest area using a mask on the curve adjustment layer, and then alter the opacity of the adjustment layer to get just the right amount of warmth into the chest area without affecting the rest of the image. The "add color" curve on the figure shows the adjustment - you want to remove blue (to get more yellow) and add some red to achieve a nice skin tone. To make the adjustment alter JUST THE COLOR and not the underlying luminance, change the blend mode of the adjustment layer to Color. Paint in and adjust opacity of the layer to taste.

Next, I sampled the resulting chest area and tried to deemphasize the color in the heavily saturated, warm arm. The same approach is applied - I created a curves adjustment layer and adjusted blue upward in the arm's tonal range to add blue (remove yellow) and then adjusted the red channel downward to remove red. This keeps the red-yellow ratio about the same, just less of it. Remember to change the blend mode to Color.

Start with full strength edits to the color and then back off the opacity of the adjustment and selectively paint in the adjustment with varying opacity of the brush as you build up the layer mask. Lots of control. I left the chest edit a little on the strong side so you get the point - simply reducing the opacity of the curve would decrease the color and make is possibly more convincing.

hopefully this helps!

kirk

PS - here is a link to the PSD:

https://www.dropbox.co​m …oc2b/skin%20cop​y.psd?dl=0 (external link)

HOSTED PHOTO

Kirk
---

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,746 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 03, 2016 13:57 |  #3

Here is the edit with the chest area curve opacity at 50% - the above edit is at 70%.

kirk

HOSTED PHOTO

Kirk
---

Bcaps
I was a little buzzed when I took this
818 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Best ofs: 16
Joined Jun 2003

Nov 03, 2016 14:33 |  #4

This video may help: https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=5-DE49Muc0g (external link)

I tried something different and used a color blend mode adj layer and sampled the white area of her skin and then painted over the tan areas and then on top of that a couple of dodge adj layers. It was a 2 minute thing and more to see how it would turn out so I wan't paying attention to clean edges with selections so there are some areas near the edge of her arm that don't look good.

HOSTED PHOTO

- Dave | flickr (external link)
Nikon D810
14-24mm f/2.8 | 16-35mm F/4 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/4 | Sigma 150-600mm

Gart
457 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 03, 2016 15:06 |  #5

I really don't want to say this but it should have been noticed when taking the photos. Make-up, fake spray-tan or lace sleeves would have possibly helped. Plus the chest area is cold (bluish) and the arm is warm (red/orange).

I agree with Dave above to check the video about matching skin tones. It can get you part of the way there by adding some color into the chest.

The arm needs to be color adjusted the other way to take the red/orange out.

Here is a quick Levels adjustment to put some red and yellow into the chest and a Soft Light layer to lighted the arm.

HOSTED PHOTO

Let us know what you end up doing with it.

Gart

kjonnnn
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Nov 03, 2016 20:18 |  #6

To lessen, you could just sample, paint, repeat ....

HOSTED PHOTO

rocker83
THREAD ­ STARTER
919 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Nov 03, 2016 21:23 |  #7

Wow, thanks guys. I'm going to sit down and go through the motions of what you have given me and post some results. I agree that this should have been addressed before the shoot but there were no stakes here. She is a friend and we shoot casually once a year. She just happens to have a wicked bad tan unfortunately. You all gave me a lot to mull over, thank you!

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,237 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012
Post edited over 2 years ago by rrblint.

Nov 04, 2016 00:05 |  #8

I took a shot at it: Just painted in a darker skin layer where necessary.

HOSTED PHOTO

Mark

DagoImaging
Goldmember
1,908 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 04, 2016 09:55 |  #9

I adjusted using curves layers w/ masks...

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Sony a6300/ 16-70/4 / 70-200/4 G / Sony HVL-60M
https://designcostello​.com/ (external link)

DagoImaging
Goldmember
1,908 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 04, 2016 09:56 |  #10

HOSTED PHOTO

Sony a6300/ 16-70/4 / 70-200/4 G / Sony HVL-60M
https://designcostello​.com/ (external link)

EightEleven
Car enthusiast and an all around nice guy
1,674 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 04, 2016 11:29 |  #11

Alot of info in this thread! Thanks for sharing.. I will play with these techniques later!

Ron Snarski
flickr (external link)
C&C always welcome!

Benitoite
Goldmember
4,750 posts
Gallery: 438 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2015

Nov 06, 2016 01:16 |  #12

Sometimes I'll mask in the original over a b/w convo:

HOSTED PHOTO

Other times I'll use the paint brush in saturation mode to help equalize the areas.

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links

3,154 views & 2 likes for this thread
blending tan skin with freckles/fair skin difficulty
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.