Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 31 Aug 2012 (Friday) 21:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sigma DP-1 Merrill images

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 31, 2012 21:27 |  #1

http://www.sigma-dp.com …rrill/jp/sample​photo.html (external link)

This is one of their fixed-lens (wide angle) cameras with the new high resolution (15 mp/45 mp, depending on how you do the math) Foveon sensor. The detail in some of these is remarkable.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

sponsored links
andrikos
Goldmember
1,905 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 03, 2012 10:02 |  #2

If they released this camera in EF mount, more people (moslty landscapists) would be interested... Presently, it looks like Sigma is fighting a losing battle which is a shame.
FOVEON is an interesting technology.

Think new Canon lenses are overpriced? Lots (and lots) of data will set you free!

BryantFC
Goldmember
2,606 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Sep 03, 2012 10:24 |  #3

Yes, for a compact fixed lens camera it's impressive. But for the price? Unsure.. I personally wouldn't pay for it. That sensor and detail def. wow'ed my eyes.

Mamiya M645 1000S, Mamiya RZ67, Polaroid SX-70 Alpha, Polaroid 250 Auto Land Camera, Leica M3, Canon Elan II
www.bryantphethmanh.co​m (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/bryantphethmanh​/ (external link)

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 03, 2012 22:01 |  #4

I'd buy it if it was similar to the powershot s series from Canon, because I want to try the foveon sensor, but a fixed lens compact is just not very interesting to me.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,080 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 04, 2012 16:10 |  #5

The photo of the cowboy on the fence.... whats up with all the dust in the blue sky?

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

Tony-S
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 07, 2012 18:22 |  #6

A review from Luminous Landscape on the DP2M, the same camera but with a 30mm f/2.8 lens. The camera is capable of truly outstanding images.

Definately Not for Camera Pussys

http://www.luminous-landscape.com …s/sigma_dp2m_re​view.shtml (external link)

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

DavidWatts
Goldmember
1,173 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 07, 2012 23:50 |  #7

Talley wrote in post #14947607 (external link)
The photo of the cowboy on the fence.... whats up with all the dust in the blue sky?

Dust on the sensor and not in the sky? Sure hope not. But look at the detail of those nuts and bolts in the far right side of the same pic. Holy cats! When I look at the details at 200%, they look like some of mine with the 5D3 and one of my sharper lenses at 100%. Well, almost. This is impressive when you consider it isn't even a FF sensor and in a point and shoot size. Dang good lens to get resolution like that.

My Smugmug site (external link)

Croasdail
making stuff up
7,292 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Apr 2005

Sep 11, 2012 07:18 |  #8

I am impressed... the quality from a compact is stunning. Keep at it Sigma... keep pushing the big boys to produce better stuff.

Mark
Its by knowing and mastering all the rules that you learn which ones you can break.

Tony-S
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 11, 2012 08:12 |  #9

The DPxM camera would be very attractive if it were an ILC with a few compact, fast primes with the same quality as these two fixed-lens cameras. Even if they came out with 35mm f/1.4 and 100mm f/2 (35mm AOV equivalents) fixed-lens cameras it might be worth buying both since I typically carry two cameras when using primes anyway.

Deardorff
110 posts
Joined Oct 2016

Nov 06, 2016 08:44 |  #10

You buy a DP Merrill and live with its quirks. Helps a lot if you like Tripod use for your images and can get into a 'View Camera' mentality.

Image quality is excellent, even now a few years down the road.

The cameras produce good images, are slow in use and you figure batteries as the equivalent of 36 exposure rolls of 35mm film. Short battey life - but the image quality!

On the used market they are not dirt cheap but they are worth it.

"I've been a procrastinator all my life. I keep meaning to do something about that."

Tony-S
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 07, 2016 20:37 as a reply to  @ Deardorff's post |  #11

Yes, I have the DP1M and DP3M now, plus an sdQ. Very happy with all three.

sponsored links

5,731 views & 1 like for this thread
Sigma DP-1 Merrill images
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.