Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 05 Nov 2016 (Saturday) 09:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon DPP and Light Room Equivalent Settings

Roxie2401
THREAD ­ STARTER
355 posts
Joined Jan 2009
Post edited over 3 years ago by Roxie2401. (2 edits in all)

Nov 06, 2016 18:01 |  #16

Yes, I noticed that you (and others) had made that suggestion. And I tried it.

Forgive me but when I looked at the Import screen, the Apply During Import "Develop Settings" was and is blank. I was expecting to see something in that box other than blank if something was going to be applied. For example, Camera Standard (or Canon Standard) as the selected Preset to apply during import if I had been successful in creating a new default. To me "blank" just didn't convey what was being applied so I thought nothing was being applied.

If I manually selected a preset, it showed up in the Applied box.

Its just the old programmer in me - an empty box doesn't mean anything. If you are going to apply settings during Import - tell me (maybe its buried somewhere in the documentation, or implied that blank is applying default settings.)

Thanks for understanding. I apologize if I have missed something and didn't understand your suggestion.

sponsored links
tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 06, 2016 19:03 |  #17

Heh! Roxie, I don't know all the details, but of course sometimes things don't quite behave as we wish, and that definitely applies to complex programs.

First off, when something works for me, if there are some things I'd prefer, well, for the time being I just accept and work with things -- "They are the way they are"...

I will say, though, that Adobe has an active Lightroom Users Forum, that includes a section for requests, whether bugs or improvements. You might check it out:

https://forums.adobe.c​om/community/lightroom (external link)

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Roxie2401
THREAD ­ STARTER
355 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 06, 2016 19:59 |  #18

Thanks again. I just kept putting an entry in the Apply During Import expecting it to stay like the next box Meta Data. That entry always stays. But the preset didn't. Who knows. Now at least I know the default Profile (or is it a Preset ߘ) settings are being applied.

Lesson learned.

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,830 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 07, 2016 02:14 |  #19

I take it that when you keep mentioning the Library Module you are actually referring to the “Quick Develop” panel in the Library Module.
In the Develop Module when you apply a pre-set (a pre-set being a pre-determined set of instructions) and make NO other adjustments, then the name of the pre-set will appear in the Quick Develop panel.
But if you manually adjust any of the sliders in the Develop Module you are then creating a “Custom” profile for that particular image, and therefore “Custom” will appear in the Quick Develop panel because the settings have been customised.

I would have thought an “old programmer” would have been able to work that out.

I've just caught my wedding vegetables in the flange!!!

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,023 posts
Gallery: 543 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 07, 2016 03:58 |  #20

You see nothing in the import dialogue for preset if you are not applying a preset. If you change the LR defaults, as has been discribed, you are not applying a preset, just the "new" default. LR allows you to apply a different set of parameters to a set of images on a one time basis, overiding the defaults, this is done by applying a preset during import. I had completely forgotten you could make adjustments in the Libary panel, I have never bothered using them, it is so easy just to hit the D key, and move to the develop module where you have the full set of tools. E then gets you to Loupe view, and G takes you back to the grid view. Of course in grid/loupe views, which are both part of the Libary module, you can just double click to move between the views, LR gives you many different ways to get to the same result. Including several ways to apply develop presets, as well as the ways you have already seen, you can right click an image in the Libary and go to Develop in the options list, all your presets will be listed. Go to the Export item in that options list and you will see that all your export presets are avilable too. this same option can be found under the IIRC Photo option in the main menu bar at the top of the window.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Roxie2401
THREAD ­ STARTER
355 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 07, 2016 12:01 |  #21

What I think I now understand is that LR is going to apply the Default Settings as shown in the Develop Module on Import unless overridden by a selected Preset. In other words, if Apply During Import is either blank or "None" --- the Defaults will be applied.

It appears that it is impossible to import the RAW file without something being applied, either the Adobe Standard (if LR is reset to the factory default) or the user created Default Profile, etc.

Which takes me back to my original issue -- DPP was applying the Canon defaults and LR was applying the Adobe Standard default (even though I thought nothing was being applied).

Thanks so much for the help.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,023 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 07, 2016 13:49 |  #22

Roxie2401 wrote in post #18178288 (external link)
What I think I now understand is that LR is going to apply the Default Settings as shown in the Develop Module on Import unless overridden by a selected Preset. In other words, if Apply During Import is either blank or "None" --- the Defaults will be applied.

It appears that it is impossible to import the RAW file without something being applied, either the Adobe Standard (if LR is reset to the factory default) or the user created Default Profile, etc.

Which takes me back to my original issue -- DPP was applying the Canon defaults and LR was applying the Adobe Standard default (even though I thought nothing was being applied).

Thanks so much for the help.

Well yes you have to apply SOMETHING since a RAW file is not really a viewable image. The data that is saved in a RAW file has no colour information, it is just a brightness value for each sensor location. It is possible to view this data as an image,

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

and in this case the software adds the colour given by the colour filter array in front of the sensor. This array is made up of alternating rows of Red/Green, and Green/Blue filters.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Because there are twice as many green filters as there are red or blue the image ends up looking green. So the RAW converter has to convert the data from a single value for each sensor location (Sensel) into a pixel that contains three values, one each for Red, Green, and Blue. It also has to had a contrast curve, because the sensor "sees" linearly, while our eyes see light in a logarithmic fashion. That is just the basic things that have to be done, there is also white balance to be applied, sharpening, noise reduction and lots of other things that will be needed to achieve the final image. This is the result of processing the image in LR

IMAGE: https://c7.staticflickr.com/6/5665/30543695030_0a11b0f6d2_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Nx3q​py  (external link) Avro Vulcan B2 (external link) by Alan Evans (external link), on Flickr

Alan

Roxie2401
THREAD ­ STARTER
355 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 07, 2016 15:28 |  #23

Alan, Thanks. Got it.

I was having a small issue that may have resolved itself. When I imported an image it would show "Custom" in the Saved Preset on the Quick Develop Panel in Library.

Having made no changes to the image I fully expected it to show "Default Settings." And, actually clicking Reset did change the entry to "Default Settings" with no apparent change in the displayed image.

Closing and rebooting seemed to have cleared that up and now a new import shows "Default Settings" in the Saved Preset.

That one had me scratching my head - what the heck was being applied that would cause it to show "Custom" on an initial import ---- should have been the defaults.

Seems to be working fine now. Let's put this one to bed. Thanks for all the detailed information.

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,525 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Nov 07, 2016 21:48 |  #24

Just a couple of points re the Import dialogue screen.

1. If you select a preset to Apply During Import, but don't actually import any images, that change will not be saved/remembered. When you pull up the Import dialogue again that section will be blank (and LR will apply its default settings). However, if you actually Import some images LR will remember your selection and the next time you import the same preset will be shown in that box and applied.

2. You can create and save Import Presets. (see the bar at the bottom/middle of the Import Dialogue Screen). Any of the settings that you select on the Import screen can be saved to a preset..... this includes which Develop preset will be applied.

So for example I have an Import preset for my Rugby images that adds a specific set of keywords and applies a specific Develop preset. I also have a Street Photography Import preset that adds different keywords and applies a different Develop preset.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,023 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 08, 2016 05:48 |  #25

Dan Marchant wrote in post #18178833 (external link)

1. If you select a preset to Apply During Import, but don't actually import any images, that change will not be saved/remembered. When you pull up the Import dialogue again that section will be blank (and LR will apply its default settings). However, if you actually Import some images LR will remember your selection and the next time you import the same preset will be shown in that box and applied.

I didn't realise that, and it is the complete opposite to the export dialogue, where changes are sticky, even if you cancel the export. I guess different teams of programmers were responsible for those two areas. Considering that I have lots of homebrew presets for develop, export, and printing, I really should put a bit more effort into importing too.

Alan

Roxie2401
THREAD ­ STARTER
355 posts
Joined Jan 2009
Post edited over 3 years ago by Roxie2401. (2 edits in all)

Nov 08, 2016 10:07 |  #26

Dan Marchant wrote in post #18178833 (external link)

Dan, I checked that out and yes, if I put a User Selected Preset in the Apply box but don't import (Cancel) LR does not remember it but, and this is strange, that box no longer goes back to "Blank" but returns to "None."

Apparently once "None" is selected, LR remembers and never show the box as empty again. At least I don't see a way to reset it to blank, and I actually think that's a good thing - "None" must mean the default settings are being applied. I even tried a factory reset in the Preferences and the Import Apply During still shows "None."

Just one final question - when creating a new Default in the Develop Module, if the only thing I change is the Camera Calibration to Camera Standard from Adobe and save that change - when I import the Quick Panel shows "Default Settings" as the Saved Preset (which is what I would expect). But, if I also enable the Lens Profile Correction and save that as the Default - the next import shows "Custom" and not "Default Settings." Even though the Lens Profile was saved as a default and I see that it was applied during import - but the label just continues to say "Custom." (Interesting, but if I click Reset All in the Quick Develop panel, the image flashes what appears no lens correction and back to lens correction with the label reading "Default Settings." Why it reads "Custom" on import is a mystery if it came in with the Defaults but probably not worth the time to investigate. Why would "Custom" = Default? Just strange and maybe a disconnect between the Develop Module and the Library Module.)

sponsored links

8,334 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon DPP and Light Room Equivalent Settings
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.